Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Off Season

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Schnibb
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Off Season Reply with quote

Cross Country ends on November 2nd and indoor track doesn't start for a couple weeks latter. In track I normally run 200-800 meters, which is a big transition from 5ks in CC. Most of the other guys on my team are going to run long and slow to build a base, but I'm wondering if that's a good idea since I don't run long distances in track.

Also, I had a major improvement over the course of the season in long distance and I'm wondering how that'll transition to middle distance. My mile went from 5:52 to 5:13 and my 5k went from 21:51 to 19:07. If I ran a 62s 400 last season in outdoor, will I reasonably be able to go into this indoor season under one minute?
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the key secret to speed: strength. The stronger your legs, the longer your strides will be. Now to develop the stride frequency you need to do speed workout runs short intervals. I personally like to go from 100m to 200m, then 300m, then 400m. That's how I break up my interval training for my 400s. Face it, you have the lactic capacity and energy to run under 1 minute for a 400m. The only downside is that you need more speed. Do not do only one type of training. Combine long distance and interval training. This is why your 5k is only 19 minutes. You MUST do strength training such as squats. Squats are like the miracle of building leg strength as well as dead lifts. Also intervals with leg weights work nicely too. It is also critical to do 15-25 second strides at 90% of your max speed before and after workouts. Do not do them at raw speed or all-out sprints. You should be comfortable with them, do not move your arms back and forth vigoursly as you would with other workouts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can maintain the mileage, the endurance base you have built up will definitely help your 800m. You have to decide which end of the 200-800m spectrum is your main focus, however, and gear the winter training more toward one or the other.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might also need to build up some more endurance because the greater the effort, the greater the efficiency the body needs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: