Training Talk
~The Mile/1500m Run~

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving Smile . Anyways, I could not set any records during the week because it started to snow too much. So I was thinking..why not just stay on the treadmill up till February..but here is the problem. I get off the bus at 3:45 and I need to run for around 30-45 minutes. That gets me to around 4:15-4:30. Then I need to run again, but I cannot run at 7:00 pm on the treadmill since my parents wont let me during the night. Even at 5:00 pm its dark outside. So I was thinking to run at 6:00 pm again, but that only leaves me with only 2 hours rest in between training sessions. You have a much wider knowledge of how one's physical body functions, so would 2 hours between training sessions be enough rest? I mean Hicham usually sleeps his way through 7-8 hours before his training sessions..Any advice?

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0058.htm Coghlam was a bit older than 40 when he ran sub 4:00.
The only types of "drugs" I take are creatine, protein whey, NOTHING that is injected. I wouldn't want to start balding over the next 19 years of my life....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken an interest in marathon running lately, but still keeping the mile up. I have also made a few changes to my training program. Aside from using Hicham's training up until every Friday, and then run 15 miles on Saturday and Sunday, I have decided to use Haile's training program for Saturday only, and run 18 miles on Sunday. http://members.iinet.net.au/~peterg1/run/aths.html That means that Monday-Friday I use Hicham's training plan, then Saturday I use Haile's plan such as doing 5x2000m and 8 or 10x1000m, then on Sunday, I run as many miles as I can with no hesitation until I get so exhausted that I have to stop. Sunday is like a rest day for me where I run easy for very long periods of time, possibly 3 hours non-stop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 hours between sessions is very short. With that little rest, I think you're better off just maximizing a single session.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehh...thats terrible. I guess i will have to run at 5:00 a.m. during the winter Confused Oh well...from the training program I do not run TWICE every single day.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some calculations, and by the end of 10th grade i will be running at 4:40/mile pace for 30 minute straight. All I need is to maybe subsitutue Sunday's ultra long run with more of Haile's training, or increase the speed of my ultra long run.

Everyone at my school says that I could never run even sub-five without taking creatine. Every kids says it is bad for you and that you can get kicked off the XC team if you take creatine. Dan, you clearly stated that it is beneficial for you, and it reflected upon your performance too. On the bottle itself says you need to be 15+ to take it. It says that it helps with performance, muscle building ,etc. but people say it is just advertising...I have even been told by people that it will mess up your joints??? Personally, I haven't gained any weight from creatine, but I have lost weight instead. My leg muscles barely increased in size, but instead they became more ripped. Everyone things that you need monstrous legs and huge muscles to run a 4:00 mile...Look at Haile, and Guerrouj for god sakes. I just hate how a bunch of amateurs that don't even run try to teach me about creatine and muscle building at my school Mad First they say that creatine is a steroid, then they say it is a nitrogen bi-product.. Confused

Seriously...are there coaches that prohibit their athletes to take creatine? Because this is pathetic, everyone says I am dependent on a drug >.<
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I ran this morning when it was around 17 degrees outside. It was so hard to run, I think I was running more like 8:00/mile pace. I felt like I was a slug. I did a load of squats the day before and my legs are pretty much dead right now...I just can't run in anything that goes beyond my mid-thighs. I would have done 10 times better if I ran on a treadmill, but then again I cannot run twice after school, it must be in the morning and afternoon/night.

I have also noticed another thing. When I do occasional movements such as walking up stairs, or walking briskly, my heart beats faster, and I gasp for air more than I did before I first started to run. I usually skip 1 stair when I walk up on stairs, and after I finish, it feels like it was a huge effort. This happens when I am at rest or active. Even after a couple days without exercise it feels like I have used a bunch of effort for casual things such as taking out the trash. I don't get it...I gasp for air when I walk up stairs, but not when I run 5 minute miles..It might be a result of fitness which tells me that my heart beats faster than other people because it is more responsive, or somehow I have a lower vo2 than people?? How can someone who is more fit gasp for air doing casual things than people who are not?
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New personal bests! This weekend the snow melted and it was warm outside. I managed to break all of my personal bests except for the long runs. My prediction for the mile was almost right. I subtracted 4 seconds from the first lap, then shaved off 3 seconds off the third since the third lap should be ran fast. On the 400m I ran it with raw power, just an all-out sprint. I got 100m down also since it is a short distance, I thought I will just go for it. Wow...so far instead of running 1 lap at world record mile pace, I can run 2 without stopping. 2 more laps to go. Need to build up some more speed endurance to get sub-four then speed to go even lower in the 3:40 range. These times were witnessed, and were timed with a real chronometer (not the type that you hold in your hand). After I ran the mile, my lungs would somewhat hurt when I inhale. After I finished I lay flat on my back on the track. I have taken in notice to start with exactly 9 meters behind the starting line, but then again 9 meters was like 2 extra strides for me. I will have to do the 5k some other time including the 10k and marathon. It seems that the closer you get to a sub four, the less impressive it is. Those 400s and 200s are pretty much the best type of workout for the mile.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gained some weight until 105 Ibs. With the cramps, it must be psychological. Everytime I go run, I come down with the fear of a stitch pretty soon, and then it hits me.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing new yet....the days are just going by 2 more weeks until winter break for me Wink I have cut back on the mileage a bit...mainly the sprints. The hill is frosty and slippery where I do sprints on...so that one is left aside now. The treadmills are way too slow for my sprint intervals so I could add some incline to them I guess. It is miserable outside, the only thing that bothers me is the snow and temperatures (I do not like wearing bulky clothing to prevent hypothermia). I hate winter, it is the worst season of them all. Just making progress with barely any problems except side stitches.

I do not get stitches on intervals because intervals are short. I do not get stitches on long, comfortable runs because it is easy. But I do get stitches when I do very brisk jogging in my 30 minute runs. I just don't understandwhy, but it happens. Here is a miracle that happens..I fight through a stitch 25 mintues into a workout. I get the stitch around 15 minutes-20 minutes in the run on average. Well anyways..the last 5 minutes I forget about the stitch and go into an even faster pace without stopping. At this point the cramp just disappears, then comes back a little bit on the last minute when I do an all out sprint. At 15 minutes is when I start to really feel the sweat and heat coming down on me, but the infamous stitch still stands against me. It is a very odd situation for me, so yeah. It is only on very very rare occasions that I get to run at that level with no stitches whatsoever, and with even more confidence. I am not that dedicated to my diet such as taking creatine, or drinking juices. I was thinking of mixing a couple fruits and vegtables together to make a swamp-like drink, but I am not very familair with the time it takes for a liquid to synthesize into the body's energy supply.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated before, I start to sweat and feel the heat at 15 minutes into the run. I was thinking about my body is telling me, and I found that at 15-20 minutes pretty much all of my energy reserves are gone. So then what does my body do to itself to work its way through that situation. Because of the lack of energy (being burned to quickly) the body works harder to keep the action going, thus giving more of its oxygen to the main muscles used to perform the same action (running.) This results in restricted oxygen to the diaphragm which promotes a stitch. Now I came up with another question: Why do you sometimes get a stitch right when you start to run? It might be a break from running for a while, the lack of a warm-up, or the amount of energy stored. If you can run for a long time such as 15 minutes and then a stitch hits, it is definetly connected to energy. In rare times when I can run clean, I feel like I am invoked with strength, and can go on longer. I feel 100% and very comfortable.

My goal: to test the 1 hour rule theory for side stitches. To test that, I will eat very rich and easily digested food. This will allow for a run without a bouncy stomach. Second-liquids. If liquids are ingested along with food, it will keep it moist , and more energy will be absorbed from banana with a smoothie, than a banana itself.

I made one mistake: in long distance training runs, the body must not feel hopeless and exhausted as in intervals/sprints. To prove that, even when I ran at the same pace I usually do, I had no problems whatsoever!
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I ran in a blizzard. I had a 30 minute delay to school, so I just took the extra 30 minutes for more running. After I finished I think my contacts fell out, or maybe my hands were numb and could not feel them in my eyes. There was 6 cm deep snow on the ground, and obviously I had no traction whatsoever. I fell a couple times, but moved on. No hypothermia, but it was definitely one of the harshest times I ran in.

Surprise, surprise! For once I want people to see me run, so I thought-why not make a video? Obviously someone else will be holding the video camera, and I will run. Then I will take that video and upload it to youtube, and post the link onto here. What might be odd, are the giant mushroom benches in my park Laughing I won't film myself running a mile, but rather my intervals. If you all want to know, my user name on youtube is Angeloz1 on youtube. I have no videos yet, so yeah. I will film myself on a treadmill, and outside too , however the snow needs to melt and stop.
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post an URL here, once you do it; and I will post video of myself as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as I said before I will use a digital camera, so maybe it won't come out as clear such as Hicham sprinting. Don't know if I could adjust it for fast moving objects. I want it to come out good, not me running in snow Wink It will only show me doing some sprints, nothing special, just an insight into my training. I will also be running with my camera just for making a "great" video.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked!!! I was feeling exhausted, after all that's what my power run is meant for, but I felt I was full with strength. So it is like being exhausted, but feeling strong at the same time, just as in my rare occurences with the same run. There is a difference in running while exhausted with no energy, and with energy. But this still confuses me about Haile's marathon. He ran that marathon faster than Hicham's regular training, but 4 times longer! Hicham runs 30 minutes at 5:00/mile pacenow this guy who runs for 2 hours at 4:40 pace is unbelievable. I do remember something I forgot to mention...when I first started to run I was dependant on the treadmill. As I was getting fitter, I started to get more stitches with the treadmill, until I finally decide to train outside. I trained outside, and got stitches very rarely. Now I am back on the treadmill, and get stitches. I just don't understand..how in the world can a stitch be overcome? I have searched the web, and everything is a theory. The theory is that the diaphragm is being squeezed between the lungs and legs. The theory is that there is not enough oxygen and blood flow. The theory is that you need potassium. Even I came up with my theories. This workout could have been a placebo due to my theory, it is not guaranteed to work. After all...Haile was not eating hotdogs while running the marathon! I have been to the doctor, and there is absolupetely nothing wrong with my internal organs, intestines, etc.

I get stitches on both sides..it doesn't matter, both sides are as common. This means that it has NOTHING to do with the liver theory. I tried all types of breathing, none of them worked. Believe it or not, but I am going to drink lots of milk, eat cheese, and work out with all the dairy I got. I am looking for a change here..such as how fast does the cramp hit, which side, etc. I think that stitches are like regular pain such as running on shin splints, only that the diaphragm "hurts" more. Then I will go on a full force workout run on a stitch "if" it hits. No matter what happens, I keep on running and see if it does anything to me serious.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly it. There's no one cause of side aches, only common threads, i.e. theories. Some are easy to track down, others are not.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 4 of 22

Jump to: