Training Talk
~The Mile/1500m Run~

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added "the three pace" workout. Where I run 5% faster than race pace in intervals of 800 which I already have, followed by other workotus such as the 100m, 200m, and 400m to help backup my 800m intervals. Along that, there will be a race pace run at 1200mx3 with increasing reps and decreasing recovery time over the course of time. Then the 5% slower than race pace done in intervals of 2000mx4. So basically I do the following types of runs per week: 30 minute runs at high intensity at least 9km covered over 30 minutes. Then runs of 100m along with 200m, and 20m with partial weighs and hills or inclines in one workout. Then after there are the 400m intervals. After that there are the 1200m intervals, 800m, and 2000m. It may seem odd, but I only do 1 of each of those intervals a week. And on weekends I have mass aerobic capacity workouts of 18 miles+. I'll post a very detailed form of a slightly "adjusted" Hicham's workout with exactly everything I do, the percentage of intensity, the strength training routines, what excersises, reps, sets, weight, etc. I pretty much do every kind of run that middle distance, sprinters, and long distance runners do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 200m intervals work WONDERS. Aside from 100m sprints, 300m runs with leg weights, 400m, 800m, etc. the 200m seem to make the perfect balance that aid in every type of other training runs wether they are the marathon, 5k, mile, 800, etc. I ran 20x200m today, and they really feel different without the loss os speed as in the 400m. These could be the breakthrough of my sub 400s soon, and to run way more consistently with greater quality. I have revised my training schedule and is ready to post soon! Also started to take creatine after I stopped taking it in March because it is so expensive. This time I got a different type of creatine that is not focused on building muscle and strength, but instead on energy. With that I have performed some very high quality workouts than I normally do . For the muscle building part, I take protein whey. My mom is the only one who buys me these supplements because my dad would go ballistic if he found out I was taking pills..... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that shin raises provide a separate benefit other than strengthening the shin muscles. The shin pulse raises help increase neuromuscular activity in the raising and lowering at the ankle. When you land, the foot is straightens out flat on the ground. Then as you lung forward, you lift the foot up from the heel and onto the toe for the next stride. The shin raises help with bending the foot at the ankle faster. When I run, I sometimes put all the weight on my ankles, and try to use my ankles and lower leg muscles to go forward rather than my inertia and arms.
Could not really run this morning. I was doing my 30 minute run from 5:00 a.m. and I just burnt out on the first 10 minutes. I ate around 3 french sticks...and drank some like half a glass of juice, and that's about it. I pretty much moved into more of an interval workout, since I can do intervals even with the lowest energy. Long runs are almost impossible to do without energy, they slowly eat at you until you just hit the wall.
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angelo Z wrote:
When I started to run, I was able to run at 5 min. pace with ease. When I run outside, it feels like I run slower, but really I am running fast.
Yeah, running on a treadmill is easier because you aren't running into the air- the air stays with you while you're running because you aren't actually moving. When you run outside, it's like the air is coming at you (pushing your hair back and whatever), so in a way, running on a treadmill is like running with the wind the whole way.

Also, nice job with your progress in the mile, I didn't expect you to get that good. Is there any way at all you'll be able to run track?
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I believe so in spring. The coaches have already over-looked me as someone with a talent. I have talked to my counscelor too for advice on transportation, and he said he will find a way for me to be able to participate in school sports.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Training Program Reply with quote

I got this program from Hicham, but I made a few slight changes from my point of view. http://run-down.com/guests/mv_el_guerrouj.php.

First Cycle. In this one, it is supposed to be a little easier on the body. As you can already notice, my new changes are the added intervals.
18 || Aerobic endurance || strength work
19 || Aerobic endurance 12x400 || Physical preparation
20 || Aerobic endurance || Aerobic endurance 8x800
21 || rest || strength work
22 || Power || Aerobic endurance
23 || Aerobic endurance 30x200 || Physical preparation
24 || Aerobic endurance || strength work
25 || Rest || Aerobic endurance 8x800
26 || Aerobic endurance || Power
27 || Aerobic endurance 12x400 || Aerobic endurance
28 || Aerobic endurance 8x800 || strength work
29 || Rest || Rest
30 || Aerobic endurance || Aerobic endurance 30x200
31 || Aerobic endurance || Power
1 || Aerobic endurance 8x800 || strength work
2 || Rest || Aerobic endurance
3 || Aerobic endurance 12x400 || Aerobic endurance
4 || Aerobic endurance 8x800 || strength work
5 || Aerobic endurance || Aerobic endurance 30x200
6 || Rest || Rest
7 || Aerobic endurance || strength work

Aerobic Endurance: I run hard for 30 minutes usually at 5:10-5:30/mile pace. The intervals next to the aerobic endurance means that I do the itnervals themselves, not 30 minute hard run.

Strength Work: I do NOT follow Hicham's strength routines in terms of frequency. I do not workout every muscle in a day, instead I spread it out over the week. I split my strength workout into two types: core, and legs. Either one of the two types of body workouts are done whenever I don't feel any pain, or very little in that muscle from the previous workout.
LEGS: Half-squat 6 x 20 reps with 25kg.
Half-squat 4 x 16 reps with 30kg.
Squat 4 x 16 reps with 20kg.
Calf Raises 4x16 with 20kg per leg.
Shin Raises 4x600 with no weights. I do "pulses" at an incline with back against a wall. These are extremely time consuming, but effective, I sometimes do them while sitting down at school.
CORE: 4x75 crunches with no weights
Lower Back 4x75 upward pulse bends with belly on ground.

Power
: For power I do sprints of 300m with 10 Ibs of weights around my waste. I do 8x300m. After I finish those, I take an extra 10 Ibs and put it on my arms. With those I do 20m up hill sprints with jog back recovery. I do 10x20m of those. After I finish my 5th set, I take the weights off and do the rest without any weights. This is so that I can adapt the neuromuscular system to the effort done. After I finish my last 5 sets without weights, I move on to 100m sprints. I do these without weights, and I do 10x100m. After each 100m is ran, I do plyometric jumps as "recovery." So I do all of that in one pwoer workout. Believe it or not, it only takes 45 minutes.

Second Cycle. In this cycle, high intensity is added, and you can tell from the frequency of more intervals.

30 || Aerobic endurance || Strength work
31 || Rest || Race Pace
1 || Aerobic endurance 12x400 || Aerobic endurance
2 || Aerobic endurance 8x800 || Power
3 || Aerobic endurance || Race Pace
4 || Aerobic endurance 30x200 || Rest
5 || Aerobic endurance || Power
6 || Aerobic endurance 8x800 || Race pace
7 || Aerobic endurance || Aerobic endurance 12x400
8 || Aerobic endurance || Power
9 || Aerobic endurance 8x800 || Aerobic endurance
10 || Rest || Aerobic endurance 30x200
11 || Aerobic endurance || Race pace
12 || Aerobic endurance 8x800 || Rest
13 || Aerobic endurance || Strength work
14 || Aerobic endurance 12x400 || Aerobic endurance
15 || Aerobic endurance 8x800 || Aerobic endurance
16 || Aerobic endurance 30x200 || Power
17 || Aerobic endurance || Rest
18 || Aerobic endurance 12x400 || Aerobic endurance
19 || Aerobic endurance 8x800 || Race pace

Strength Work: I do NOT follow Hicham's strength routines in terms of frequecny. I do not workout every muscle in a day, instead I spread it out over the week. I split my strength workout into two types: core, and legs. Either one of the two types of body workouts are done whenever I don't feel any pain, or very little in that muscle from the previous workout.
LEGS: Half-squat 6 x 20 reps with 25kg.
Half-squat 4 x 16 reps with 30kg.
Squat 4 x 16 reps with 20kg.
Calf Raises 4x16 with 20kg per leg.
Shin Raises 4x600 with no weights. I do "pulses" at an incline with back against a wall.
CORE: 4x75 crunches with no weights
Lower Back 4x75 upward pulse bends with belly on ground.

Aerobic Endurance: I run hard for 30 minutes usually at 5:10-5:30/mile pace. The intervals next to the aerobic endurance means that I do the itnervals themselves, not 30 minute hard run.

Power
: For power I do sprints of 300m with 10 Ibs of weights around my waste. I do 8x300m. After I finish those, I take an extra 10 Ibs and put it on my arms. With those I do 20m up hill sprints with jog back recovery. I do 10x20m of those. After I finish my 5th set, I take the weights off and do the rest without any weights. This is so that I can adapt the neuromuscular system to the effort done. After I finish my last 5 sets without weights, I move on to 100m sprints. I do these without weights, and I do 10x100m. After each 100m is ran, I do plyometric jumps as "recovery." So I do all of that in one pwoer workout. Believe it or not, it only takes 45 minutes.

Race Pace: I do 6-5-4-3-2 min. of fast running with the same speed, but increasing incline. I love doing these on treadmills since it gives a load of quality. This workout is meant to adapt my body to time, and to get a feel for how a race is. It is also a great workout to check my progress.

***Notes***

*There isn't a third cycle listed here, since I don't use it much, unless there is an upcoming state meet or something very huge

*Each cycle is 21 days. I alternate between cycle 1 and cycle 2 everytime I finish them. This alternation helps since going from cycle 2 to cycle 1 allows the body to adapt from all the intense training done in cycle 2, but in an active way.

*I live at about a mile high about sea level, at a very high altitude. There is a park that is 272m around, and it is black concrete. In the middle and outside there is grass, and there is a pond with running water at around 100m through the park. There are benches that have roofes that look like giant mushrooms. In the winter ice hits. In the summer, temperetures can reach up to 100 degrees.

*Currently I do 4x800, 8x400, and 16x200. Those huge number of sets listed are going to be the future "max" level I will be running at.

*I eat a banana everytime before I run since it prevents cramps, and provides a huge amount of energy. I take protein whey, spirulina, creatine, vitamine capsules, and vitamin c capsules. On top of that, I drink a type of club soda by Borsec from Romania with 47.75% calcium. Ever since I have drank this it got rid of shin splints.

*On weekends I don't do anything the training program says. Instead I do ultra-long runs of 17 miles+

*During school days I wake up at 5:00 and run until 5:30 or 6:20. Then run again in the afternoon.

*I do strides before and after a session, and during the night I do long static stretches. Which have now gotten me to the splits. I can do the front splits, and almost the side splits. The silent stretching in the night with a ray of light across the floor puts me into a deep, meditative state with visions from future races.

Statistics & Personal Bests

My current Vo2 is 65.25 ml/kg/min.
1609 meters (mile)-4:36:
800m-2:02:49
400m-1:00:24
100m-12:36
Marathon-3:46
10K-29:37
5K-14:27

Bio
So who am I, how did I get in the sport of running, and my future plans.
I was born on August 26th, 1992. I am 15 years old now. I was born in Romania, and named as Dan. However, my real name is Angelo. I got into the sport on January 1st 7:26 p.m. That was the day and time I first started to seriously run. It was like an over-night life decision. Previously in 6th grade-8th grade, we would run on track. I was always the first no matter what when we ran. It started until the end of 7th grade when I started to think about running. I trained sometimes, but not too much. In 8th grade I met a kid, who always ran as I did; first in line. He has been first in line pretty much 88/90 races. My mile was pathetic the first trimester which ended in November. I kind of waited, until I wanted to find out who is the world record mile holder. I got on youtube one night, and watched as Hicham carved into history. I was simply blown, and filled with tears at the end. A few days later I do some research on running, training, etc. And in January the first, I start. I started with running 30 minutes everyday on a treadmill, no matter the costs. My record mile was 6:50 since 7th grade, and got up to 6:55 in 8th grade. That was the last time I told myself that I would never run in the 6 minute range ever again. By March, my mile time went down to 5:50. I still lost to that kid, since he got 5:46. Towards the end, we would keep racing, and I would keep losing. After every race, I would run 12 extra laps, while every kid would be walking. I would miss class since I was spending time on the track running non-stop. We raced again in the mile, and this time, I ran a 5:38, and he got a 5:43. Then on the very last day of school, we raced again in gym class. The teachers would tell us to run 2 laps, then come back in, but at the end they let you walk and hang out. So I run 3 laps with him, until I used Hicham's tactic of going out with 600m to go. It simply crushed him, and left him with his mouth open. After I finished, I walked by him, we said farewell, and that was the end of it. I walked a couple meters right after the race, and ran 10 more laps while everyone else was walking. People said I was posessed, or insane, all kinds of name calling. Then over the summer I trained hard, very hard. So hard that I lowered the bar to a 4:55 one week before school started. Now I am a freshman, and hope to become the youngest sub-4 miler in the history of running. If Ryun made it at 17 with asthma, I can make it at 16 in 10th grade. After that, my ultimate goal is to break the mile world record, 1500, 2000m, and the marathon. Hicham had the same visions too, he took away every record Morceli had. After my middle distance career, I want to turn towards marathon running like Haile has, and run a sub 2 hour marathon. Quality is everything, the eariler the peak, the better the results in the near future...

Music
Tina Turner-SImply The Best
Gonna Fly Now (Rocky theme song)
DJ Tiesto-Suburban Train
Solarstone-Seven Cities
Rob D-Clubbed to Death
Michael Jackson-Beat It
Michael Jackson-Billiejean
Telepopmusik-Breathe
Annie Lenox-Sweet Dreams
Enigma-Dream On (enigma is a new age band, they produce electronic-like music that's relaxing)

*will update some more

Last edited by Angelo Z on Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the treadmill plan, by increasing the speed by .1 every 2 weeks or .5 every 10 weeks. There are like 2 weeks left of November. plus another 13 months until next December, when I will be a sophmore. So thats 52 weeks in 13 months plus another 2 weeks to a total of 54 weeks. 20 weeks from 52 weeks leaves me with an increase of 1 mph. Another 20 brings me to an extra 1 mph increase. Its been 40 weeks, with 14 more to go. So it brings me to a total of 2.5mph increase in speed on the treadmill for aerobic endurance, etc. So that will bring me to running each mile whenever I do long distance in 4:50 or 4:40 at marathon pace by next year. All I need after that is some more time liek 6 more months to build up even more endurance to run more miles at 4:40 pace, which will get me to a 2 hour marathon soon, and a sub four mile in 10th grade. I don't really listen to people who say that the treadmill is artificial or its not good for running. In fact the treadmill was an excellent invention, and can provide greater quality than running outside. Of course, the main goal is to always use a variety of methods instead of sticking to one way. In El guerrouj's program he runs for 30 minutes at like 5-5:10 a mile. If I can get it to 4:40 it will have greater quality, and thus increasing the chances of running a sub 3:40. I don't believe that my progress is so inhuman like the 4 year old who ran the 40 miles. His name is Budhia Signa or something like that. He showed police scars from beatings from his coach, that he hung him to a ceiling fan. His coach was later arrested and accused with child abuse. As for Budhia, he got banned from running marathons "because he showed signs of very high blood pressure."
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made up my mind that I will comepte in the 2012 London Olympics when I will be done witch High school since I graduate in 2011. At 17 I am defenitely looking forward to run under 3:50 for the mile or under 3:48 which is even better.
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, so how did you run a 5k in 14:27? That's an average mile pace of 4:39, when your mile PR is 4:36? Similarly, the 10k is about 4:45 pace... I'm not doubting your skill, but are you sure you measured everything right?
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it was close to 5 min pace. It was like 5 minutes, then 4:55, then 4:52. A senior kept the pace for me. If I ran 4:39 per mile it would be a much faster 5k. 4:39 pace would be like a 13:50ish 5k time. I have mentioned that when I ran a 4:36 it was fairly easy for me. I still believe I can run a much better overall mile. If you run a 6 minute mile it is 2 minute pace for each lap right? Now if you run the first lap in 3 minutes, and the last 3 laps in sub 1 minute 400s you will still end up with 6 minutes. I did not run an even 5k with the same time per mile. I have also stated that I run at almost 5 minute pace during my long runs, so running a couple sub 5s won't be so hard. I have thought about why my mile is so slow, and I think it is because Im terrible at pace. If I were to literally go out and measure every second a lap I could shave a significant amount of time. I could run a 4:30 if I shave off approximately 1.2 seconds off of every lap. Now measuring 1.2 seconds a lap is very hard especially when you are concentrating on running the mile itself. 1.2 seconds adds up quickly and it could easily shave 6 seconds off a mile. It is like trying to run a marathon .1 of a second faster exactly.

In fact, over Thanksgiving break I am going to attempt running under 4:30. I have been doing those 200s lately, and it's time to check the progress. The faster I get, the more frustrated I become because I can never prove myself to a mass amount of people. I am absouluptely dieing to make history when track starts in spring. This year, I want to see my mile as 4:1? something. Because of this, Im going to do 95% of my training at max heart rate. Intensity is quality. The greater the quality the faster the gain. Im such a snail that its not even funny. (no sarcasm) Just as Dan mentioned on some threads with people asking for how to lose weight; the faster you run the faster you get more fit.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed is right ... something's not quite on with your math. 14:27 is indeed 4:39 pace. 5:00 pace would only be 15:35. Remember, 5k is 3.1 miles, which is close to 200m extra on top of 3 miles.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well The last time I ran a 5k I ended up with around 15 minutes. I did not time it when we ran, the senior did. He also said that the course was 5k, however he did not show evidence of that. He said we ran on the course where our XC HS team runs, but I am not familiar with the course since I didn't do XC. All I know is that the last time I ran a 5k, it was in the 15 minute range. I forgot the other times since I don't do 5ks that often. I will attempt to run the 5k this Thanksgiving Break along with attempting to achieve sub 4:30 mile. This time on the 5k I am going to do it on a track with a stop watch. Regardless of the high chance of inaccuracy when I ran the 5k, I am still expecting to run in the 14 minute range.

Anyways on the mile, I have been timing my 400s as accurate as I could, and I found it easier to run 6 seconds faster on a lap than 1 second (obviously.) However, I am afraid that it might burn me out since I should distribute the dropped seconds among every lap. It is so weird how at school my name is not on the record board. It's as if im not even real. Our school has just got a new kid enrolled named Charles WHite from New York. He is a junior and his mile is around 4:08 He may become the 5th person in the world in HS to run sub 4 as well as the second youngest. There was an article in a newspaper how our XC coach referred to him as a HS miracle. He broke the mile at our school from 4:21 to 4:10. Guess I can't beat the HS record as a freshman anymore... Rolling Eyes
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to try something new: and that is to run some laps with 20 Ibs of weights on me to adjust the muscles. And to also shave 3 seconds off each lap for a total of 12 seconds. 4:36-0:12? This time im going to play with the time more than the running itself Smile
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to overdo it as long as I was between 13 and 16 years of age. Once I did hit "sweet" 17, I started going down the hill with respect to the instantaneous healing ability.
Remember that most people reach their pick performance only once in a life time; at best twice.
Remember as well that most people can practice at the maximum or near maximum effort only up to 15 years before wear an tear sets in: with alternate exercises (non-running etc.), and minuscule amounts of steroids to cure micro injuries during the training period some athletes have been able to extend their professional lives, but it is difficult to do.
Remember to start planning for the Olympics in 2012.
Remember Borzakovskyi!
Your BUD, Rob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not tell you to take steroids; I am just telling you like it is.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The fact is that taking steroids or other legal or illegal substances does not allow an athlete to reap as much benefits as neophyte athletes think.
The real benefits are minuscule, but significant providing just the cutting edge.
As an example, I can provide you all with Mr Johnson from Canada. He was so high on steroids that he almost died from the numerous overdoses; and yet, all he did is was to move form being always in the top 10 of any world championships or Olympics in 100 meters competition to being number one.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unless without steroids and other illegal or legal aids, you can as a man place in the top 15 of a given competition world wide, or as a woman in top 25, once again world wide, taking steroids or other legal or illegal supplements is pointless.
Do not do it!
Do not do it if you are a high school athlete!
Do not do it if you are a college athlete!
If you get into a fully professional team sport league or qualify for a world championships and/or Olympics, you may consider it, but I would prefer if you would not do it!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once again, I am just telling you like it is!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: