Training Talk
~The Mile/1500m Run~

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not feeling soreness the next day, your muscles are probably acclimated and ready to handle more and/or different stuff.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sound of that, but it seems so soon, the last time I doubled my reps, and increased weights was 3 weeks ago. I do squats with dumbells that have plates on them, and I am almost done with the dumbells, just 1 more plate to put on and thats all the weight I will have to squat. It made me worried because if I increased the weight, I might stunt my growth?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came up with an idea, and that is to put 200m intervals into my workout schedule alogn with my 400s, and 800s for speed. Along that, during the summer I am looking forward to increasing my aerobic workouts from 30 minutes to 2 hours and 30 minutes, with the last 30 minutes being ran at 80% intensity. Then during the school year, I am to run my aerobic workouts for 30 minutes straight at around 5:20 mile pace, and 2 hours on weekends. Would this be of any good? Haile Gebrselassie used to run 12 miles everyday as a school boy while holding an extra 10 pounds in books with his left arm. With a bit more height around 5 inches than Haile Gebrselassie I think it could be possible that I can do better than him and Hicham. Even when I started to run my aerobic workouts for 1 hour straight they seemed way to easy, and it felt like I could go on another hour. The only thing I am worried about these distance runs are the stitches, whenever I get one that lasts more than 5 minutes, I can never get out of it. Shin splints aren't a problem anymore, I feel like I can increase my distance. Now I am not too familiar with running for that long because I never have, but should I bring water with me?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally raced the junior, Charles, and won by a hairline at a miletime of 4:42:57, and him wtih 4:42:69 (timed by sports fitness coach.) It was a good race, he hit my right shin with the back of his heel the first 200 meters. I used El Guerrouj's plan to start the final kick with 600 meters to go, and it worked, although he was ahead of me by 2 meters for 1000 meters. After we finished, I wanted to shake hands with him, but instead he said that I cut corners Confused and wore my spiky shoes. He is 5 foot 7 inches, and I am 5 foot 4 inches, although he is a "buff" middle distance runner whereas I am lean like Noah Ngeny. I must thank all of you for the advice I get on here, because I wouldn't have won with the techniques, and routines I knew before coming here. By the way, the mile record at our school is 4:21 set in 1989 as I said before on a different thread somewhere. The cross country HS coach whom Charles has, saw my potential and talked with the track coach instead because track is held in spring, and XC time trials are already over to join, so I might find some success in track next year in spring. Wink
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking a lot lately, and I thought that I want to do something that will astound the world of middle distance running, and that is running a sub four in 10th grade. After I ran that new record of 4:42, at the end I felt that I could have gone faster to run a better time. Jim Ryun's mile time in 10th grade was probably a 4:10, my goal is to shave off those seconds and make it a sub four. What I will do: increase weekly mileage to 120 every summer, then leave it at 70 during school, but at a higher intensity and speed. Then to improve my 400m intervals, to get better at the pace. When the mile will be ran in 10th grade I am looking forward to the coach to yell at me how much time I ran a lap in while I am running so I can keep up with the pace. First lap-1:05 Second lap- 1:00 Third lap: 1:00 Fourth lap-54. To get there, that means that I will need to pretty much get in the 4:19 range to lower my goal by a further ten seconds, and over the summer by another 5 seconds. And after 4 months into 10th grade I should make it to sub 4. Im going to start taking hardcore training, no more giving up from cramps, aches, even if it means throwing up. Because of all this training I must be careful of over training, I simply came up with a solution, and that is to gain an active rest to prevent overtraining, and therapy through meditation.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I managed to run 10k for the first time under 30 minutes. I'm just wondering how one can run at 4:40 pace for 26 miles straight. Going to go this weekend to Grand Junction to run my first marathon through the Rocky Mountains with my neighbor who is a long distance runner. The goal is to get just under 4 hours so thats around 7:30 mile pace. I have also read that aerobic endurance builds a more efficient system of transferring oxygen more efficiently than anaerobic training, since anaerobic increases Vo2, and lactic tolerance, but not as much oxygen efficiency.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran the marathon this Saturday for the first time, and also the longest distance ever ran non-stop in a time of 3:46. I went a bit too fast towards the end, and threw up. The ligaments in my ankles, and foot felt really sore, and actually was diagnosed with a few small muscle tears, but not severe enough to refrain from running. My heart felt normal as well as my lungs, my shoulder, and upper back muscles felt like I just walked 50 miles with a 40 pounds log on my back, and my hamstrings were numb. Only felt a little shin pain after, and thats it. I haven't gotten a cramp until the last mile sprint. Towards the end, it felt as if my pace increased twice as much that I just wanted to go on an all-out sprint.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I have went on the track to do my 400m intervals for the first time each at an astounding time of 1:04 with less rest in between, the track felt 10 times better than running on concrete. I also got the XC coach to film me during her off period, and we watched the video later afternoon during my off period. I have noticed that I have achieved El Guerrouj's elegance in sprinting with almost the exact "bouncy" sprint style, which I always wanted. The first few intervals I ran a little slower by a couple seconds, the last I went hard on them. By next week I am going to attempt to break my mile record again, this time in the 4:30 range. I have checked Morceli's progress, and at 16 he ran the 1500 in 3:50. He he would have kept it up he could have ran a 4:03 mile for the last 100m at the age of 16, so that brings a bit of relief to my sub 4 sophmore year goal. They keep the track clean from ice because of the track team, so it was a reflief even though it was around 28 degrees outside.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 200s have made my 400s faster, and the 400s have made my 800s faster which is a good sign. The strides have been helping with my training sessions before and after, but Im not going to get to any conclusions yet...
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I ran a hell of a run. It was a long distance run by the way. It was crazy that I ran at such a fast pace. I thought I had got out of my mind to run so fast because of cramps, etc. AMAZINGLY, I haven't had one sign of a cramp! Now here is what I did before I ran: I was about to take in 19 grams of baking soda (.5 grams for every kilogram.) I weigh in at around 94 pounds. I put the powder in a glass to drink with water. But before I did anything, I just wet my finger a little bit, and tasted the soda. It was so terrible that I couldn't even lay my tongue on it. So then I decided to eat a banana like my doctor told me for side stitches. Potassium prevents side stitches by the way. Then I go out to run, and the first thing I concentrate on is my breathing. I took in large deep breathes through my nouse and out my mouth. I took one breath for every full stride on my left foot. So I inhaled when my left foot landed, and exhaled when it landed again. It did irritate my nose a little bit, but it was fine. Now for the amazing part, I sprint my last 300m in a time of 43 seconds, and do a huge leap-stride at the end. When I ran the 300m at the end, I didn't even feel anything, and my legs seemed to have a life of their own. Truly amazing, I don't even know if I ran more than 6 miles in 30 minutes.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now how come that after running 6 miles nonstop at a fast pace, then sprinting the last 300m in 43 seconds without any pain, I get burned out on 300m during my interval session? All of that fast runningbefore the sprint must have acted like my stride excersises before my workout sessions that made me go so fast.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am such a fool and here is why: today while I was running my long distance run, I just quit because I felt like I was running slow outside. So then I decided to test out my legs on the treadmill as I would outside. When I started to run, I was able to run at 5 min. pace with ease. When I run outside, it feels like I run slower, but really I am running fast. And because I am such a fool, I just lost one session today. I think I am too strict on myself when I run outside and sometimes a bit too paranoic about my speed when I am really running 1 minute 400m. That has got to be sad... Mad
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when I said that I will attempt to run under 4:40 this fall break, well it happened. It was on a black, rubber-type track, not the brightish-brown kind. It was calm outside, the horizon was glowing orange during the sunset, and it was cool. It felt pretty easy the first three laps until the final one when I started to feel sweat sliding down my neck. It was a time of 4:36 which isn't too bad, although I felt I could have increased the pace the first lap. I wasn't struggling on running faster but rather it was a fight for energy. I kind of took away the feeling of running with hate, but rather running with a passion, not like someone being chased by a lion. Rolling Eyes I performed a Vo2 max test after with one of the local track coaches, and got 65.25 ml/kg/min which is almost 10 ml/kg/min above the "superior" vo2s for my age group. Which would be 55.9 rom 13-19 for males. I still have 16 more seconds to go for my goal of a sub 4:20 by the end of August 26th. For the first time I actually feel somewhat satisfied with my progress as I am only 53 seconds away from the WR. I can't say I tried my hardest on this one, but rather it was more of a "steady" run. It kind of felt somewhat like how Hicham felt during the WR mile; happy, joyful at the end of the run. It didn't feel like something such as Bannister's sub-four. Here are the shoes I used: http://www.runningunlimited.com/images/Nike/Miler%2005.jpg
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some sort of stomach flu combined with a fever, so I had to miss a day of running after throwing up countless times. I have trouble walking now from yesterday, and when I sit down after walking for a bit my knees ache, maybe from laying down yesterday all day long. The temperatures are starting to drop with the grass, rooftops, benches having frost on them so thats going to put me at 3 hours between my two training sessions instead of 9. I found out that I lost a huge amount of upper body strength ever since I started running, but gaine an immense amount of core and lower body strength. I haven't gotten ripped as my legs tho , my abs still look the same from this January, nothing special (no chocolate-like abs.)
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning there was frost on the grass in the part as well as the mushroom benches. The whole grass was basically white and stiff, but no snow on the ground. When I tried to run, my knees would hurt, and my hips, joints, muscle won't work smoothly, because of laying in bed 2 days ago. Whenever I don't run, the next day my joints feel rugged and it is painful when I run, instead of running everyday. The time has finally come to use the treadmill, possibly until it gets warm. THe treadmill has really worked in keeping the pace, and to gte a higher quality workout. Higher quality-faster to get to the goal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 2 of 22

Jump to: