Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Tempo run question

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2000 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the correct pace for tempo runs. I went to runnersworld.com where they have a "training pace calculator." You put in a recent 5k best, and it tells you the pace you should do tempo runs, intervals, and your long runs.

My recent 5k best was 26:20, which results in a 9:52 tempo run pace. That's about what I've heard from others also. But I just finished reading Jack Daniels running formula, and according to him, I should be doing them around 8:50, or only 20-30 secs slower than 5k pace. That's seems to be quite a variance. Any thoughts?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'jdav3']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2000 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things you need to take into account are the source of the info and the distance you are a) preparing for, and b) running the tempo runs for.

Runner's World provides a great service to the general running community, but they are very much geared toward recreational running. My guess would be that they err on the conservative side of advising paces. I haven't read Daniels' book, but my understanding is that it is more technically and competitively geared, which would make sense that it advises you to be running closer to race pace.

My belief is that you need to train as fast as you want to race on a regular basis (muscle memory), otherwise you will not be able to run that pace when you have to. Which system you follow depends a lot on what your objectives are with your running.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: