FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Training for 5k... and I *hate8 5ks...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Training for 5k... and I *hate8 5ks... Reply with quote

I've been "voluntold" to run in a 5k race, and am trying to improve somewhat... but only have a month to do so.

Been averaging only 15 miles a week lately, due to work. About 4 miles per run (3x4 milers and 1x3 miler a week.)

This week, I started running intervals on the track per some "advice" I found online. I started doing 10x300m intervals. The program works by having the runner set his or her "goal pace" for the 5k, then increasing interval distance each week at that pace until you're pretty much running 5k at the goal pace. Unfortunately, I'm off to a late start so getting a good time on this 5k may be difficult. 1-minute rest time between intervals, walking, but I've been keeping a jog at 200m to rest--gives me a bit over a minute of "rest" time.

Right now, I can maintain my goal pace for the short 300m distance, but am not sure I'll be able to hold it for more than a mile. Planning to hit 400m intervals this afternoon.

Any advice on how to best train for this aggravatingly short 5k distance? I can run 1.5 miles in just over 8 minutes on a good day, and a 10k in about 36 minutes (faster than current 5k pace, weird, maybe indicative of a pacing problem on the shorter 5k run (going out too hard).) Current 5k is about 18:20 but my goal is a competitive 17 minutes (aside from the one world class guy we have locally who does it in less than 15 minutes.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When's the target date?

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With only a month to go there isn't a lot you can do to improve your speed. I like the idea of repeats at your projected race pace. But if you can't hold that pace for more than a mile then you may have to reevaluate what your race pace should be. Ward's Worthless Suggestion is find the fastest pace you can hold comfortably for a mile and then see if you can do 3 mile repeats at that pace. Maybe try it at about 15 seconds slower than your 1.5 pace. If so, start your 5K at that pace and then at halfway pick it up or maintain based on how you feel.

Good luck.
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I've tried the interval thing... will pick up distance to see where I am this weekend. I'm guessing that a 5:50 to 6:00 mile pace will be reasonable IF I don't go all out at the start of the race. Not having done much speedwork in the past couple of years or so... my best mile recently is about 5:20 but that is not sustainable beyond one mile. I think that starting off too fast will be the biggest killer. It is tough to let some folks go ahead and pray that I catch up to them by the end of the run, but it seems to me that intelligent pacing is a much better strategy than allowing adrenaline to take over at the start of a race.

This is just me speaking... one who hasn't raced before.

What do you guys think?

Only other thought is to find someone who seems a bit faster at the start and try to hang with them. My guess is that most folks will start out too fast and die. Might get lucky and find one who I can try to hang with.

Finally, what do you guys think about caffeine before a run? My best 1.5 mile run was done a couple hours after having a Red Bull. I ran hard, didn't feel much pain, and mentally wanted to keep pressing through what suffering I did feel.

Thank you,

Mike
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it seems to me that intelligent pacing is a much better strategy than allowing adrenaline to take over at the start of a race.

Definitely! The first mile is naturally going to be a bit faster, just from burning up some of the one-time use energy stores, but as even as possible is your best bet.

There's a modest amount of research that shows caffeine to be beneficial to distance running performances. It doesn't take a huge amount to be effective.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always tried to race negative splits. In other words, run the second half of the race faster than the first. I always do better when I have the strength to push the second half rather than trying to find the strength to just hold on for the second half.
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Training progress... Reply with quote

Well, to date, I have trained 20+ miles each of the last 3 weeks (and probably the last 4, but lost a week's worth of data to computer gremlins.)

This is very good for me, considering that two months ago I was averaging 12 miles a week due to a training slump. Been picking up mileage gradually the past few weeks.

Had a personal best for 8 miles last Friday: 50:17. Felt so good. Took it easy yesterday, and did a hard couple miles today as part of a 4 miler.

Now, the race is on Wednesday (moved up a day.) I was going to pull my mileage back this week in prep for race day, but just couldn't give up a week's worth of training when I'm trying to build a mileage base, knowing that this coming week will be a low-mileage week, too.

My thought is to take Monday off completely, and to run 2 miles on Tuesday... maybe warm up a mile, then run a mile hard. On race day, Wednesday, get out there 45 minutes early and do a few strides... maybe 1/8 mile apiece, after stretching and taking care of last minute business.

My goal is to run negative splits as we've discussed... probably about a 5:50 pace is what I will shoot for.

Does this week's plan sound good, or do you more experienced folks have better suggestions? I don't want to over-rest... but don't want to over-do after having a good week this week.

One problem: my job keeps me sitting 10 hours a day. Would it be instructive to, perhaps, dress out during lunch on Monday and Tuesday and do very short runs just to keep things from getting too tight?

Thank you again,

Mike

Last edited by mlewis73 on Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward's Worthless Opinion is that short easy runs Monday and Tuesday would be fine. I like the idea of a few strides on Tuesday. That would keep the legs loose but not burn up too much energy for Wednesday. Good luck. I look forward to hearing the results.
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah Ward wrote:
Ward's Worthless Opinion is that short easy runs Monday and Tuesday would be fine. I like the idea of a few strides on Tuesday. That would keep the legs loose but not burn up too much energy for Wednesday. Good luck. I look forward to hearing the results.

Thank you. Hoping for about 18:00.

Any word on handling race day stress? I have a problem with multiple bathroom visits before starting a run when going on training runs with the group... can only imagine that race day stress will yield the same result.

Suggestions for dealing with this somewhat embarrassing issue are appreciated.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your warmup close to the latrine. Very Happy
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah Ward wrote:
Do your warmup close to the latrine. Very Happy

True.... Smile

We have to be at the start 30 minutes prior to race time. Yay. Smile
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I placed 4th overall and third in the men's group. The overall winner was a former member of the South Korean Women's Olympic team, so I'm not going to complain about that...

I took a wrong turn because nobody publicized the course, and it was dark outside and I was running alone. Cost me roughly 30 seconds. Adjusted time looks to have been about 18:15, which is about what I expected. The winner's time was 17:09, which is about where I hope to be a year from now.

She and I will be training together--a local coach put us in touch a couple weeks ago.

Lessons learned: pacing works well. I let the fast group go at the beginning of the run and started off easier than I could have. Caught EVERY fast burner, except for the first 3 finishers, within 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile at my easy pace. I don't recall breathing hard during the first half of the run. Ran about a 5:50 pace, with a couple lapses to more than a 6:00 pace.

Took my wrong turn halfway through.

Picked up the pace on the way back and noticed that I was slowly reeling in the lead runners. That was cool! Felt good enough that I had a massive strong solo sprint for the last 150m or so of the race. Felt GOOD, though, not like I was dying.

Lesson learned: I could have run a bit faster... I think finding a racing pace will be my challenge--need to run more 5-k races to find out where that spot is.

No belly issues. As a matter of fact, I was NOT nervous at the start of the run. There wasn't a lot of waiting around in anticipation of the start... had about 10 seconds to line up.

Anyhow... it turned out fairly well for me today. Thank you guys for all your help and advice.

Mike
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done!

Quote:
I placed 4th overall and third in the men's group.

That's easily the most bizarre stat of it's type I've seen.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding race! Exclamation

Sounds like you have the pacing issues worked out pretty well. Do you have another race on the schedule?
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah Ward wrote:
Outstanding race! Exclamation

Sounds like you have the pacing issues worked out pretty well. Do you have another race on the schedule?

Thanks, guys. I'm thinking about doing another race soon... nothing on the schedule. Anyway... need to get that pace down to about a 5:30 mile. Hahahahaha.

The woman who won the run overall is a former Olympian (2000 and 2004) and holds numerous national records. Unbelievable. Any surprise that nobody could keep up??

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: