Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Gatlin in positive drug test shocker

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If track was as popular as say baseball I am sure hollywood would be turning this into a movie soon. Great drama till the end. Did he or didn't he??

Makes a good story. Smile
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that athletes should have rights when it comes to the testing: I do believe that there should be a rule that an extra sample must be collected by an athletes home federation when the international anti-doping agency collects two samples from an athlete. Moreover, the athlete should be able to collect a 4th sample for himself and his coach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I do know the answer to Gatlin's situation:
No one can perform so well in so many meets and make so much money for the hosts, IAAF, and home federations, if they do not take steroids in small amounts between the meets to aid the process of recovery. Because of this very reason, which is money, the IAAF established the allowable levels even for substances that cannot naturally occur in the human body, and the levels for the substances occurring in the human body are triple or higher, if compared to what human body can produce.
Gatlin or someone on his staff, however, has made a mistake, or rather an error: they gave him more than they were supposed to.
Translating Gatlin and the good coach:
Quote:
We have done it because everyone one does it, and because IAAF was ready to look the other way; however, we made an honest error.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping

Last edited by Indeurr on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its definitley an interesting story ... I mean, I keep looking at it and it doesn't make sense ... Why would anyone be using a very expensive drug test at the Kansas Relays of all places ???

That alone implies Sting Operation ... But then, the next question would be how did anyone know that the kid was previously doping IF he was ??? Or is it more plausible that they knew he would just have a substance in his system at THAT meet ???

The more that comes out, the more questions there are to me ... And the more that most of it doesn't make sense ...

Paul/Dan, this Whetstine guy is from your neck of the woods ... Anyone come in contact with him or know anything about him ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never met or heard of the guy, although I did worry when I first heard that a Eugene-area masseuse was being blamed, as I know one down there that I think extremely highly of, and he works on a lot of elite athletes.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, this thing is errupting into a major soap opera. Check this story out in Friday's Oregonian:

Fight injuries endanger therapist's career
Friday, August 04, 2006
KEN GOE
The Oregonian

Chris Whetstine, the Eugene massage therapist embroiled in track and field's most recent doping scandal, suffered career-threatening injuries in a June fight with a Nike Inc. employee.

Whetstine's attorney, Elizabeth Baker, said Thursday Whetstine suffered a concussion that included "some neurological issues," injuries to the ligaments and muscles on one hand, and to his nose after being "attacked" by former world-class long-jumper Llewllyn Starks. Starks is an athlete representative for Nike.

"Even with therapy I don't know if he will be able to continue in his capacity as a licensed massage therapist," Baker said.

Whetstine, who has worked with many Nike athletes, was accused by of rubbing a cream containing testosterone onto gold-medalist Justin Gatlin in April by Trevor Graham, Gatlin's coach.

Gatlin, the world co-record-holder in the 100 meters, subsequently failed a drug test and now faces a possible lifetime ban.

Whetstine denied the charge in a prepared statement released by Baker.

Graham, who has coached at least seven athletes who tested positive for the use of banned substances, was barred Thursday from using U.S. Olympic Committee training centers and training sites.

USOC chairman Peter Ueberroth told reporters on a conference call the action was "permanent," although it could be reviewed at future time.

Ueberroth said USOC barred Graham "based on the unusual number of athletes he has coached who have been convicted of doping offenses."

Whetstine, meanwhile, is recovering from multiple medical issues. Baker said he underwent hand surgery in July and could face surgery on his nose. She said he has declined to speak publicly because of after-effects from the concussion.

"Right now, he is really dealing with his head injury," Baker said. "That is the focus of his recovery right now. He is having some processing difficulties."

What led to the altercation between Whetstine and Starks is unclear.

"You would have to talk to Mr. Starks about that," Baker said.

Starks did not immediately return calls left at his office number at Nike headquarters near Beaverton.

Whetstine and Starks reportedly were talking at the Westin Hotel in Indianapolis, where both were attending the U.S. Track and Field Championships, before the conversation degenerated into violence.

The incident, captured on a hotel security camera, remains under investigation by Indianapolis police. There have been no arrests or formal charges.

Whetstine and Starks have worked together over the years, most notably when both were affiliated with former Olympic champion Marion Jones. Starks has worked as an agent and advisor to Jones. Whetstine was her massage therapist at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

Ken Goe: 503-221-8040; kengoe@news.oregonian.com

©2006 The Oregonian

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just keeps getting more interesting. Shocked

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its bizarre is what it is ... NOTHING about this situaiton makes any sense whatsoever !!!!
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I am a Marion Jones fan, I find it fascinating that her name keeps popping up everywhere in all the latest controversies, including the check fraud thing.
In defense of Whetstine, even coaches who didn't care for him that much, have come to his defense. Apparently there are a few that feel he really overstepped his bounds as a therapist and encroached on areas that were out of his jurisdiction.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatley for Marion, I see her being associated with drugs until she retires ... She's just been too close to too many ... No way out now ...

As for Whetstine, I know nothing about the guy except what I've read ... Just seems real implausible to me that he would let a grudge with Nike spill over to Gatlin ... Especially what I've read about his relationship with Gatlin ...

Course I find it hard to believe that Gatlin would dope too ... So not sure what to think about it all at the end of the day ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some AP report snippets on Gatlin's 8-year ban:

Quote:
And when he appeals for a lesser penalty - some time in the next six months - he cannot argue the test was faulty.

"To his credit, it's recognition that the science is reliable," USADA general counsel Travis Tygart told The Associated Press. "Instead of wasting a bunch of resources attempting to create smoke where there's not any, he's acknowledging the accuracy of the positive test, and in exchange for his agreement to cooperate, we've recognized the nature of his first offense."

Though the agency doesn't name names, Gatlin could possibly help USADA by providing information on Graham, who has denied any direct involvement with performance-enhancing drugs.

Dan
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatlin gets a 4 year ban on the condition that he co-operates in implicating others.

4 years may not seem too bad but for an athlete it can seem an eternity.
He won't be defending in beiijing so I do not know where his motivation will come from. Even if he was to return to his original form which I doubt (particularly as it was drug-assisted) I think the reception will be cold from organisers and fans alike. People are getting tired of all this, the sport we love is turning into a sham.

Saying that though the sport has been a sham for a long time. The record books are pockmarked with dubious times . I cannot understand how the remaining East German records still stand despite the revelation of systematic abuse. Where is German domination now. You may have read recently a news item on the same about czech athletes in the eighties.
Well, when I took one look at Kratochvilova as a youngster even I could figure out something was wrong.

I could go on and on but I would like to say that the biggest victims are the clean athletes themselves. Those that were denied their rightful place in history due to the cheats and those exceptionally talented ones who will be judged with skepticism because of the reputation of the sport.
I for one am guilty by judging the czech runner even though she never tested positive.

As for Marion Jones, I think i'll spare her until her B sample comes back.
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway wrote:
Course I find it hard to believe that Gatlin would dope too ... So not sure what to think about it all at the end of the day ...

Yeah me too. I cannot make head nor tails of the whole situation. To be honest, I never really was a big Marion fan so I don't care what happens to her whether banned or not. I can't really put my finger on it but she has always kinda 'bored' me - probably because I was annoyed that she wasn't runnin the consistent 10.5s & 21.5s like I knew she was capable of. If she was with HSI I'm adament that she would've broken both of Flo-Jo's records and dropped a sub-49 in the 400
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: