Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Been running a few years on and off...ON time now..help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turbo Travis
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Been running a few years on and off...ON time now..help! Reply with quote

Hey everyone, My name is Travis, I am a 26 year old male from Upstate NY. For most of my life, I ate whatever I wanted and never worked out. A few years ago, I started running as a means to lose weight and was happy with the results. At that point I was running about 4 miles a day 4x a week. I did that for a bit on and off, and slacked off in the winters.

This past spring I started running again a little bit, and I have really stepped it up over the last month or so. I'm typically running 3.5 miles or so 4x a week and 5-7 miles each weekend day. It's feeling really good to get out and do this!

My goals are to lose my gut, and actually gain a '6pack' set of ab's. I've always felt that running is the best workout that you can do in a given amount of time, with minimal equipment. I'm considering buying a 'ab lounge' machine to help lose my belly, but I need to research it.

Can you guy's recommend any weight loss suppliments that are safe and actually work? As far as my actual running, to suppliment weight loss, is time and distance the key, or should I be doing some kind of fast/slow routine? On the 3-4 mile runs I am oviosuly pushing it a little harder then on the longer runs. I plan on adding more distance to each as my body allows it. I am starting to get a great sense of satisfaction from seeing the improvments!

Thank you
Travis
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ab work will build strength, but it won't target fat loss.

I've never tried any of the weight loss supplements... Can't offer you any advice there.

There are conflicting theories on whether optimal fat burning takes place during low intensity aerobic work or high intensity anaerobic. Personally, I believe more in the anaerobic side of the argument, as it gets the metabolism burning faster and keeps it there much longer, even though the duration of the exercise may be less.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan's correct. The research is becoming more and more apparent that intense workouts will keep your metabolism raised 24 hrs or more after the workout ends. You end up burning more fat. This doesn't mean that a sedentary person can just go out and whip out a 95% HR max elliptical w/o with no preparation or build up, for instance, but plodding along at the low end of the aerobic spectrum, thinking you're making fabulous gains is not going to cut it.

Skip the ab lounge. None of these devices on TV are ever peer reviewed. Join a gym if you have the funds. Look around in the used ads for equipment. Used, they sell for pennies on the dollar. Dan can tell all kinds of stories. He has done a great job of stocking his home with great gear, most of it hardly used when he bought them.

A book I would recommend ( I can see Dan rolling his eyes, I hardly post without recommending a book! Laughing ) is Make Over Your Metabolism by Robert Reames. See if the local library has a copy.

Get yourself into some 5K fun runs this summer. I'm sure there are lots of them in your neck of the woods. They will be good to gauge your development and will also provide encouragement. Post back when you've run one, we all like to hear. We have all kinds in this forum, including someone like Graeme who could end up running a 4 min mile before his college career is through.

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Turbo Travis
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you guys think I should run 3 miles hard verses 6 miles not so hard for a better fat burning workout?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a mix of longer runs and faster tempo stuff. Something to try would be a 3-4 mile run with the first and last mile at regular speed and the middle portion about 30 seconds per mile faster. As you get used to it, extend the tempo portion and cut its pace down.

Paul, I never roll my eyes at your book suggestions... Scratch my head, sure, but that's different. Smile Travis, Paul is one of the more knowledgeable people I know when it comes to supplements, metabolism, body shaping, training aids, etc.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that most of what I have read is evenly split on whether a short intense or a longer slow run burns calories better. I am in a constant battle with my weight and the only thing that works for me (including experiments with supplements) is to make sure I am burning more calories than I take in and make sure that I don't try to loose too much too fast. Does it work? I've lost 13 pounds so far this year. That isn't fast weight loss but it's steady.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the aerobic vs anaerobic fat burning topic, I think it's important to consider that anaerobic work can be much more effective with a strong base. So if you start with a lot of easy aerobic runs to build your base fitness you will be better prepared to do some more interval or fartlek style runs for two reasons:

1) You can do a better workout because you will have a fitter cardiovascular system.
2) You will recover better, and therefore retain a greater benefit from the anaerobic running.

From what I've seen with running clinics and people I know who are trying to run for weight loss, adding anaerobic running to the mix is more effective, but only if the base fitness is there.
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey -- what do you want?
Yes -- it is the right question.
I can have a six pack, and be weak, or I can have a little fat on my belly and be strong. I choose strong.
Remember: Mike Tyson the street fighter with a little fat layer over his belly and Mike Tyson the showman with six-pack belly.
What was the difference between two Mikes?
Well--the fighter was sweeping the ring with his adversaries; the showman was the "szmata" (pardon my Polish->was borrowed into Yiddish as well) with which the adversaries were sweeping the floors with*.
Not everyone can afford a six--pack abs: just be in good shape, and be strong, and yes, loose weight.

*One exception: for the boxing clown that was in it, later on, only for money, Golota, even weak Tyson was hitting too hard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Reames likes to call his workout Metabolic Burst Training. It involves any kind of activity where you can go hard for a minute and easy for a minute. He likes to do this for 30 minutes. Looks familiar, doesn't it!! Short hill repeats, strides with jog recoveries, fartlek workouts, to name just a few that runners do.
Travis, I would add fartleks to your workout mix to add some variety to what the others have said. The hard portions don't have to ( and shouldn't ) be all out. Just pick up the pace a bit and run smooth and relaxed.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: