Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
chips healthier with sunflower oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dancingqueen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: chips healthier with sunflower oil Reply with quote

I heard that Frito Lay is now making some of its chips with sunflower oil - a "good" oil that is lower in saturated/trans fats and better for you. Sounds good to me, especially since I love chips! Anyone tried them yet? I think I may go out and grab a bag!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they start using extra virgin olive oil, I wouldn't assume there's any true commitment to a healthier product.

Dan
dancingqueen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know about that...it seems to me that it's a good thing that they are making changes step by step. i actually did pick up a bag and couldn't notice a change in taste, which i was glad about. Has anyone else tried them? They may not be the healthiest thing in the world, but at least I know they are lower in saturated/trans fats, so in moderation they're really not bad for me!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're just taking small steps in terms of ingredients, then it's my belief that they're merely paying lip service to the push for healthier foods and doing the minimum they can to look better.

Dan
dancingqueen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend helped me do a little research on the subject, because all of the sudden I got really invested/interested in it. She pointed me to this study that was done in 2005 through Penn State University about unsaturated fats. It found that sunflower oil is healthier than most other food oils on the market and that it is found to have more of an impact on lowering cholesterol levels –even more than olive oil...It said sunflower oil is higher in polyunsaturated fatty acids while olive oil is higher in monounsaturated fatty acids. I guess if you take that information into consideration, they definitely are going in a healthy direction...Good to know in a world where high cholesterol and obesity levels are endangering lots of people.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard that about sunflower oil vs. olive oil. In fact, I'd always heard just the opposite, but then that's the nature of medical research... The only purpose of one study is to be contradicted by the next.

Dan
dancingqueen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, you're right, Dan...it does seem like there are always new studies coming out to defeat one another...Guess that's why you've just gotta live in the moment Wink

I also always assumed olive oil was the healthiest, but then I learned about sunflower oil...now we know...definitely always good to keep my finger on the pulse of the health world!
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems with the oils that are available for general use today, including sunflower oil, is the high amounts of omega-6 fatty acids. The dietary ratio between omega-3 and omega-6 fats is way out of balance. In fact, anyone who runs at all should be taking a fish oil supplement. The studies showing the positive effects on joint action are too numerous to even think of listing.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
dancingqueen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, definitely something to be aware of. I'm not an expert on this subject, but Omega 6 fatty acids are necessary, right? Taking a supplement is a good idea, but is the omega 6 content the same in all oils? As I understood it, it was similar in a variety of different oils, and sunflower oil has health benefits in terms of cholesterol levels, etc. I sort of got the feeling is was the lesser of evils...do you know more about this?
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corn, safflower, and sunflower have very little omega-3. The typical american diet is loaded with omega-6 fatty acids. Besides marine oils, flax seed is very high in omega-3.

Here are a couple of websites to get you started if you want to read more:
http://www.udoerasmus.com/firstscreen.htm

http://www.westonaprice.org/splash_2.htm

I have gotten some good info from the Udo Erasmus site but the best place by far is the Weston A. Price Foundation. In fact, there is a book review within that site that debunks a lot of what Udo says on flaxseed. Mary Enig,PhD has written a book Know Your Fats that is just about a post graduate level text book on the subject.

And check out the soy section if you want a real eye opener!!

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
dancingqueen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow there's so much information out there...Thanks, Dan...you're really helping to clear this up for me. So do you use the high-omega 3 oils alone or do you combine using them with the other "good" oils like sunflower, safflower, etc.? I'm trying to get a grasp on healthy cooking (and cooking in general). It seems with so many disputing reports, it's hard to keep anything straight. I think on an elementary level, using the "good oils" is not bad for you (especially in moderation)..right?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Paul, not me...

Dan
dancingqueen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, oops...well both of you are pretty knowledgable so i thank BOTH of you...how's that? Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can live with that if Paul can!

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: