Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Overtraining or overreaching

View previous topic :: View next topic  
host
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Overtraining or overreaching Reply with quote

I have heard there is a difference between overtraining or overreaching.
The last week I have been training quite hard. And I think I have been overtraining for about 7 days. After being a bit heavy in my legs and some trouble sleeping well. I have now taken 3 days off. And I have decided to just train very easy the rest of the week. My sleeping is now, 3 days later normal.

So my question is: How to be able to notice the difference between "just tired" and overtraining? How long can you feel tired in training before you will get overtrained? how can you feel on your body that you have pushed it beyound the limits? Is 1 week easy training enough for me to get restituted?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your muscles, joints, and general energy level should bounce back within 48 hours, otherwise you've likely pushed too hard.

Dan
host
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been sore in my muscles or joint. just feeling tires in my legs, and a bit poor motivation during the 7 day "overtraining".

I have taken 3 days totally off running, so I really dont know how my energy level is. Feels kinda strange not to train for 3 days when you are used to train every day for a long period. Enough complaining.Smile I`am sure I will be super fit when i start to train hard again. Twisted Evil

Thanks anyway
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By hard, do you mean high mileage or high intensity?? Too much intensity can cause overtraining very quickly, and takes longer to recover from. General fatigue from a not-too-severe-increase in mileage can set in, but it is not really overtraining type fatigue. That was awkward, but I didn't know how else to put it. The heaviness may be from not fueling yourself adequately after training.

It would be best to get in some minimum running instead of taking all those days off. From what I've read, blood volume falls quickly after 2 days. 30 mins of jogging with some long strides (4 x 150m) at 5K pace might perk you up.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That was awkward, but I didn't know how else to put it.

Now you know how I feel at practice every day. Wink

I agree, light activity is better than complete rest.

Dan
host
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean high intensity. I have not done any very hard session the past, just many moderate/hard session with quite a lot of strength training.
Milage: not over 50km per week.
I am very careful with my eating and I alway eat right after training and I also eat healthy.
Did a 30 min easy jog yesterday+some plyos. Felt good. My sleeping is good now also. I assume that I have not got the overtraining syndrome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: