Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Stress Fracture --> custom orthotics?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Stress Fracture --> custom orthotics? Reply with quote

I have had a couple self-diagnosed stress fractures of the tibia a couple years ago, and haven't really ran since. I also know I am a somewhat severe over-pronator (from more professional diagnosis).

I want to get back into running, and am am wondering what I could do to prevent injury. My guess, correct me if I'm wrong, is a "motion control" shoe (perhaps Brooks Beasts), and custom orthotics. Where should I go for custom orthotics?

Back a couple years ago, I tried the Brooks beast and OTC orthotics.. but had the same problems. So now I'm just hoping that the custom orthotics can fix the problem.

Also, I know I should have gotten the stress fractures properly diagnosed, but they're all gone now. It did fit the stress fracture symptoms (pin pointed pain in the bone, only hurt when pushed the right way or when running/jumping, about 1/3 the way up the tibia, also, it got worse as runs progressed or was there from the start.)

Comments?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where should I go for custom orthotics?

Podiatrist.

I'm leery of heavy motion control shoes. In my opinion, unless there are severe structural issues, you're better off letting the foot move the way it wants to.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in complete agreement here, with Dan on heavy motion control shoes. The hips, knees, ankles, and feet all work together to cushion and control motion inherent in running. To isolate one of those puts the other structures at risk. On top of that, the Beasts are 15.6 oz, and that's just for size 9!!

I wore orthotics for a full year after my last knee surgery in 2002, but I never ran in them. When I felt better, I ended up discarding them in favor of Superfeet for my general daily use. I run in Gel Landreth's and New Balance 833's and 900-901's for running.

There have been a lot of advances, the past year, in pronation control. Some of the new shoes are designed to slow it down instead of just stopping it. I would give the Asics Gel-Kinsei, Nike Vomero and Cesium a look at. Materials are getting lighter, also. Some shoes are literally an oz under what the previous model was.

Lets also look at strengthening your lower legs. Check out Dan's shin splint article and toe running article in the running tips.

If you were correct about the stress fractures, and there's no reason not to believe you, this might have been caused by pronation that was so sharp that it torqued your tibia beyond what it could handle. Just slowing the speed of the pronation might be all your body needs, without the use of orthotics.

Here's a couple of sites to get you going:

link 1

link 2

(edited by Dan for long link formatting)

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the stress fracture problem too but in different locations. Along with the advice on the podiatrist for the orthotics, I would recommend going to a specialty running store such as Fleet Feet to get fitted for the proper type of shoe.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dan. I've got to learn to get the hang of doing that.

Micah's advice is good about going to a quality running store.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

self diagnosis? maybe you ought to see a physical theraptist to get that checked out. They can also refer you a quality podiatrist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: