Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
achilles problem

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazmin
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: achilles problem Reply with quote

Hi runners, I'm new to the forum and I'm having some issues with my achilles tendon. I'm icing it regularly and was wondering if it might be OK to run with it wrapped, (elastic bandage), or will this impede circulation. I am having some pain when running uphill, but other than that it seems to be on the mend.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heating it before running will help more than icing. Try an overnight splint to take the tension off the achilles and allow some good rehab hours.

Dan
Jazmin
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, heating it before running...well who woulda thought? I will try it. The splint that you mentioned, would it be available in a regular drugstore?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat before, ice after.

Good luck finding a split on the shelf... I made mine out of plaster of paris casting material, but there's also a aluminum/foam type thing that countours easily and holds secure when wrapped with an ace bandage. I don't recall what it's called, unfortunately.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add the following: after warming up your achilles, perform the exercise for shin splints in running tips - page 3:

http://run-down.com/tips/tips3.php

Even though this is for shin splints, this movement will also gently stretch the achilles and all the structures in the foot. I don't even think of leaving home without doing these first.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Jazmin
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, and Paul...I will try the stretches, much appreciated!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I hit the motherload of resistance tubing yesterday -- got a huge box full of punctured bike tubes. I didn't count how many, but there's got to be well over 50. There was a second box I could've taken, but that seemed like a bit much to carry...

Dan
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't limping are you? Does the pain become unbearable while running, hurt a lot after, then seem to go away the next day?
If you answered yes, I'd say you ought to go see physical therapist. He can make some suggestions on other excersizes. You may even need an orthodic.

In my experience, taping was only a temp fix. I got rid of pain during a run, but afterwards the pain was awful. I couldn't even walk
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way tendons tend to be... The worst pain is usually right after you finish the activity.

Dan
Jazmin
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fry, no I'm not limping now, I used to be though. The first mile or two of my runs seem to be the worst. After that it's not too bad, as long as I'm not running up too many hills, the up-hills are tough. Running downhill is painless. Yesterday I used heat before the run and it helped a lot...thanks for the tip, Dan. Using lifts in the heel while running, is this a good idea?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Using lifts in the heel while running, is this a good idea?

No way to answer that without seeing your mechanics in person. I would consult a specialty running store or a podiatrist to answer that sort of question, otherwise it's just a shot in the dark.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazmin, if you tend to be a midfoot or forefoot striker, and you have ample room in your shoes, you might try to just double up on your inserts. You'll end up getting about an 1/8" lift in the heel, which, believe it or not, can make a big difference. This will also not affect your gait or foot strike that much.
If you are a serious heel striker, then some other method will have to be employed.
I've been wearing double inserts for years, even when I race.
It would also be beneficial to know what kind of shoe you are training in. If you are using a shoe with a very low profile heel like the New Balance 901, then you may have to switch to a more cushioned trainer. A stability or motion control shoe will make you work harder at the toe off, putting additional stress on the achilles.
When your problems are finally solved, it will be time to think about strengthening that area. Dan's toe running in the training tips section is a good place to start. I actually do this on a treadmill, utilizing a one minute on, one minute off strategy at 5.5 mph - 2% incline. This exercise will work the whole lower leg and foot area.

Good Luck!! Smile

Jazmin
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I am a forefoot striker. There is very little wear on the heels of my shoes. I wear Asics DS Trainers, I'm 110 lbs and run marathons and ultra's. The double inserts are an excellent idea, thank you. When I began having the AT problem I read somewhere that heel inserts would ease the pain. My question to you now is: should I run with inserts in the heels of both of my shoes, (so I'm balanced), or just the one shoe with the AT issue?

Thanks again for the info Paul,

Jazmin
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Jazmin, I meant to mention that. Yes, put the double inserts into both shoes.

The DS Trainers say a lot. Those are also a low profile heel bordering on a racing flat. Consider alternating with another shoe or two. If you like Asics, consider the Gel Cumulus or the Gel Landreth II. I have worn both. I really didn't care for the Cumulus that much, so have doubled up on the Landreth. I have New Balance 901's and 833's for track w/o, speed, and races. I believe Micah likes the Nimbus. Dan wear tests for Nike and can give you info on what would be considered a neutral cushioned lightweight trainer.

How about some half-marathon and marathon times?? I've only ventured as far as the half, twice, 1:42 and change last year. Also posted a 42:10 10K.

Paul

Jazmin
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried New Balance and Nike and they just don't feel as good as Asics, (sorry Dan). I should have mentioned that I also have a pair of Asics 2110 that I alternate with the DS Trainers. I will try the Landreth too, thanks.

I run a 3:57 marathon but my next race is a 50 miler that I'm running in May. I think you should try a marathon Paul, they are fun.

Thanks for all your advice.

Jazmin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: