FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Mental training

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Mental training Reply with quote

I have been recently been trying mental training. Here's what I've been doing: I lay down in a quiet and dimly lit room. I flex every muscle I can starting from the feet then working all the way up to the face. Once I finish that, I close my eyes and very conciously breathe in... and whisper "run". During this time I imagine pieces of the courses I have been on, and I how I would run them now. I imagine the top people in my region/conference/state running and I'm running with or ahead of them. With this image in mind, I take on the first person view. Then I do the same with another piece of a course. I keep the thoughts brief and the breaths long. I continue doing this for about 20 or 30 minutes. I return to normal breathing, but still have my eyes closed. I am now imagining my new life as a great runner. After dwelling at that thought. I open my eyes and change my mind towards the past and the present. "I came from soo far back, and yet I'm moving so far ahead!" I think to myself, "I have to keep training, I have to stay hydrated, I've got to do as many of the scheduled workouts as I can, etc., etc... I get up stretch then go for a run.

I would like to hear many comments and suggestions on my mental training. Where it might need or need not be changed and any other concerns. Or even just a general impression of it.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did some of that ("visualization") in high school. I found it relaxing, but not at all effective. In my opinion, just finding something that motivates you will work better. Everyone's experience varies, though. As far as what you're trying to do, I think you've got the right approach.

Dan
Double
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the mental training is in the physical part of the activity. Nothing gets me more prepared mentally than pulling off the mileage and key workouts.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree. I was going to add to my previous response with something similar. I very much believe in mental preparation, but there's a fine line between visualizing and day dreaming. A lot of positive thinking falls into the latter category, as opposed to the physical preparation Double mentioned which leads to more of a confirmation of your abilities.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Double, I don't want to hijack Fry's post, but didn't I see your name in the Ice Age 50 results? That looked like a pretty good effort.

Doesn't the mental aspect take on a larger part in ultras than in shorter races? I read that most ultrarunners do long runs of "only" 25-30 miles yet they compete in races of 50 to 100 miles. There has to be a huge amount of mental effort involved there. Of course, the mental prep won't improve fitness but I guess it can enhance what you do with that fitness.
Double
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a bad day at Ice Age and ran like 9:13.

The first time a person trys anything long, be it the first 10 mile run ever or a 50 miler there is mental anxiety. Once you cover the distance a lot of this goes away. You can begin to build off the experience and try and make the next time better.

My first 100k resulted in an 8:30 effort. Mentally it was challenging as I almost dropped out several times. However, I knew the next time exactly what I could improve on and ran a 7:43. Mentally I was prepared without having to do any visualization, the mental part was in my memory already and averaging 85 miles a week for 10 weeks prior didn't hurt either.

Eventually in ultras everyone is going to face what appears to be insurmountable pain, fatigue and discomfort that less than .01% of the people on earth will ever face in athletics. I've never been able to train for this. It's that special place many continue to go to. I've been to the mountain and seen the bear. Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.

Last edited by Double on Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last line speaks volumes!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: