FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Treadmill running

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2000 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am a new runner.
I started about a month ago and bought a treadmill. At first, it was really tough but now I think I'm starting to get addicted to running!
Currently, I am running approx. 5 days a week for about 30-40 minutes. Pace is 6mph(10 minute mile).
My question is: Aside from the obvious, is it much different running on a treadmill compared to road running? Is treadmill running easier because you are forced to keep a steady pace? I don't really care to run outdoors yet but was wondering if my 10 minute mile average would be the same outdoors.
Thanks
Chris

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Chris Ham']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2000 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I find treadmill running to be much more difficult than the equivalent time and speed running outdoors. But I know many people claim, some even with mathematical evidence, that it is the other way around.

Factors include: wind, incline, resistance, surface, humidity, air flow, footing, etc. All of these can be argued either way, so I think it pretty much comes down to the individual...

All other things aside, the most important thing is that you're enjoying the running! Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2000 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running outdoors for about 15 years. Recently I joined a fitness club to be able to run on a treadmill when the weather was terrible. My usual runs outside is 5 miles at a 8:00 minute average. On the treadmill I would run 5 miles at a 7:00 minute clip. I did this for 1 week every day and thought that I was really doing myself good. After that week of bad weather I went back to running my 5 miles outside and I have a hard time getting back to the original 8 minute average. My opinion is that unless a person uses about a 2 percent incline then a person is not actually doing any good. Of course this is just my opinion and I have heard instances where some good marathoners do nothing but train on treadmills, so the answer is that it is in the eye of the beholder.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'JOHN WILSON']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2000 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there is a good chance of pace inaccuracies with any given treadmill. There are few things more accurate than going to the track and timing a 400 (or longer).

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2001 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm fairly new to running and have been running on the treadmill at my gym for about a year now. I'm up to about 3-4 good miles on the treadmill, but recently decided to make the move to road running. But I just can't go as far on the road! Any suggestions for making the transition easier? Is it all mental?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Vanessa Klingensmith']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2001 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vanessa,

I do believe it is largely mental. I find it hard to go as long on the treadmill as I can with less effort outdoors. Two things that might help you are a training partner and some scenic running routes, both of which will take your mind off the actual running.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the advice. I did team up with a training partner, and is has helped. My breathing seems to be the main problem now, but when I really concentrate I can go farther!

-Vanessa

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Vanessa']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Glad to hear that seems to be helping. Do you have a history of allergies or asthma that might cause breathing troubles?

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: