Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Mt sac relays

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Mt sac relays Reply with quote

wallace spearmon. 19.97 with a legal-wind.
Looks like theres a new kid on the block.

Surely a sub 19.8 is within reach on a good day. Looks like a good year for 200m sprinting.

It will be interesting to see what kind of post-olympic form shawn crawford will be in this season.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a big step up there, and I can only hope this is the year Bolt really establishes himself. Could make for some hot sprints.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spearmon made that race look ridiculously easy ... I hate to predict what someone can do cause they usually disappoint, but this kid looks to have a lot more in the tank !!! Right now, Spearmon v Crawford might be the most exciting single match up in the sport ..
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree conway, he may either turn out to be the future of top flight sprinters or a one season wonder and their have been plenty of those. Only time will tell.

I recall Lorenzo Daniel and Joe Deloach running 19.87 and 19.98 before the 1988 olympic trials but their careers diverged. Daniel had nothing to show for outside the u.s while deloach went on to be olympic champ, although he was a one-off as well but a succesful one at that.
Then their was MJ who did not run spectacular times early on his career but became a journeyman world class sprinter over 200, need I say more.

It will be good to see Bolt this year after a big flop last year. Hopefully not a flop like Roy martin and Daniel who showed so much promise as juniors.

As for crawford, I feel he will be around a while at the top of his game.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It will be good to see Bolt this year after a big flop last year.

I wouldn't consider it a flop. A very promising season was cut short by injury. Until we see him competing against the big boys, I'm not sure it's even reasonable to get our expectations high enough to consider any shortcomings as a flop...

Dan
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe flop is a little harsh as you are correct to say one year is too little to judge an athletes career. In fact it's best to put an overall assesment once an athlete has hung up their boots.

We obviously judge athletes against one another when using words such as "flop". Putting it in perspective if a Lorenzo Daniel or a Roy martin is a flop I would think it inappropriate and mentionable to describe my brief practically non-existant high school sports career. Embarassed

Hats off to all world class athletes !!
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was unmentionable by the way
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... I'm inclined to refer to Bolt's season last year as a flop ... No way you run 19.93 early in the season, yet can not come back to run at least under 21 !!!

His Olympic heat looked horrible ... And its not like he had a devastating injury ... What we heard all season long was that it was something "minor" ... Yet he never showed in a race until the Games ... Although there was rumor of him having run a 20.10 just prior to the Games that never showed anywhere ..

This kid has a lot to prove ... He's had the big race each year for the last 3 years, but then little else ... Time to show what he's got ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And its not like he had a devastating injury ... What we heard all season long was that it was something "minor" ... Yet he never showed in a race until the Games ...

So, is the disappointment on his part, on his handlers' part, or on our part for being suckered into the high expectations? The fact that he missed so much of the season and came back so much slower makes the "minor injury" claims rather sketchy. If they were minor, he handles injuries very poorly.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little blame all the way around ... His handlers obviously made a lot of mistakes ... And we (the public) should have known better than to start predicting world records after one race ...

But definitely disappointed in him as he is the one who has to come out and perform ... Seems to me that he is both mentally weak as well as physically ... Just my opinion ...

HE did run a windy 20.5x last week ... So we'll see what he has in store ... But they definitely need to get him out and let him compete ... As opposed to keeping him "under wraps" and only bringing him out for the big ones ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's the type of athlete that will only look good/great when everything clicks, and when it does click, boy will he look good. I'd really be interested to see what he could do over 400m, where his body type doesn't necessitate quite the level of perfection in race execution.

Dan
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolt reminds me a little of james sanford, a tall rangy athlete and as sanford considered himself a 200/400 runner but went on to become a brilliant 100m sprinter, bolt too seems to me to have a potential over more than just the 200m if and when he manages to put it all together.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing rangy about Sanford ... He was only about 6'0 compared to Bolt's 6'5 ... And James was a powerfully built athlete weighing about 185lbs ... James was a 200/400 in high school only ... Matusuda (then USC sprint coach) quickly put him in the 100 with much success ...

I do think Bolt is actually more suited to the 400 meters ... He seems to be much more a Juantorena type to me from what I have seen of him ... With his speed and stride he could become the next great 400 man ... But one has to have the stomach for the 400 ... And while he has run some 45's, I get the feeling that he does not have the heart to take it on as a full time event ...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured he was taller and leaner from earlier stats, something like 6'2 and 175 lbs. I guess I was wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: