Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Shoes... Which Ones for me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Shoes... Which Ones for me? Reply with quote

I am having custom orthotics made due to erosion of the fat pad in my left foot, and am tossing my Nike Pegasus loyalty aside to find a pair of better-cushioned shoes (per my doctor's advice).

He recommends the Asics Gel 2090, the Adidas Supernova, New Balance 855, 1022, or 1122, and the Brooks Beast as shoes that have the cushioning I need.

I've read many reviews on shoes and had really been looking closely at the Supernovas until I read that the latest version lacks the cushioning of the previous models.

Can anyone suggest a very good Cushioned shoe for a fellow running 20-30 miles a week with good biomechanics? I'm 5'10", 133 pounds, with high arches. Tend to be a heel striker--never have been able to get good times when trying to strike on the midfoot. HEEL CUSHIONING IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE.

At 32, I'm suffering from some plantar fasciitis, plus erosion of the fat pad in my left foot (which has a higher arch than the right). Also some Achilles' tendon pain in that foot, which seems to be primarily related to which shoes I wear to work on a given day. Military combat boots aren't made for comfort... neither are many dress shoes.

Obviously looking for a FAST, cushioned shoe so that younger guys have to work a little harder to catch me. Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your doctor (presumably a podiatrist?) is a very avid runner, I would disregard his advice and go seek that of a good running store worker, as they're much more likely to know the shoe beyond its Runners' World fitment ratings.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm with Dan. I am 5' 9" and 210 pounds and the Pegasus has worked fine for me. I have run in the Supernovas and they do have some good cushioning but the Pegasus just feels better overall. Another shoe you might look at that has good cushioning and a light feel is the Asics Cumulus and also the Mizuno Wave Rider. I have run in all of them and don't hesitate to recommend them.
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, guys... an update.

I tried running with the Asics Gel Cumulus and found it did not have enough cush. So I went with the Gel Nimbus VIII. I absolutely love this shoe! Feels fantastic.

I added a Road Runner cushioning insole as well, just for a little extra. After picking up mileage and speed a bit quicker than I probably should have, I'm still not having foot problems like I had with some other shoes (heel/sole pain), although will be backing off the training intensity just a bit. I look forward to running in these shoes every day.

The insoles help my New Balance shoes (I run in them on rainy days), but I need something that offers better ball of the foot cushioning that the model 1060. I prefer the New Balance line... but still searching for the right shoe from them.

Mike
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you might have found the right shoe with the Nimbus. The conventional wisdom has always been to stick with a shoe when you find one that works. Unfortunately the shoe companies are constantly tinkering with every model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: