FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Women faster than men?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Women faster than men? Reply with quote

Is it scientifically true that women store more energy than men, and that in 200 years they will be almost 10 seconds faster than men?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Haile Gebrselassie ran a 3:52 mile which is 9 seconds slower than the wolrd record, and yet he is a long distance runner with the world record in the marathon. He is also 5 foot 3 inches (very short) how's this? Long distance+middle distance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen hypotheticals like that, but they're backed up by very little in the way of practical research.

Geb is perhaps the most gifted distance runner ever, with great late race speed. No one knows how it's possible... As for height, all that matters is stride length and turnover. Longer legs tend to turn over slower, so it balances out.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some research on him, and he does pretty much the same thing I do; intervals of 800, 400, and 200, and long distance runs. He was 5 seconds off the world record 1500m, he could have used more adrenaline to break the record.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you fully appreciate how significant 5 seconds is at the world class level...

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone who always thinks he or she is pathetic will try harder. When I ran a sub 5 for the 6th time, I was upset since I could not run it faster by taking 3 seconds off, when everyone said that it is a really good time. Pretty much when one gets their mile to a 3:49, it is somewhat easy to always run a sub 4 unlike 80 years ago. I know he could have done better if he at least cut off a second for a couple 100 meters. I just don't understand these guys, if they run a race, and they are a couple seconds off the world record, why not come back and attempt to beat it? Like Lagat, he ran a 3:26:34, I personally can't live patiently with a few fractiosn of a second off. Maybe in sprinting, but not middle distance or long distance.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, you have no idea how significant a few seconds is at that level. Races are decided by hundredths of a second, not the 5-10 seconds you're used to. You're trying to use your own frame of reference to comment on a totally different level.

The effort required for a WR attempt can fry the legs and mind for a fairly long time...

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "fry the legs and mind?" Do you mean permanent damage, or effects, overwhelming? Hicham seemed normal after his WR mile attempt and 1500m. Plus in the Olympics after the 1500m, he ran an extra victory lap. This is kind of weird, but the only way I can work through the pain when I try to beat one of my records is by literally crying, and imagining suicide to forget about everything else except beating the time. Then at the end I feel fine, and confident. That is just a brief explanation of what I think you mean by frying the legs and mind.
Hicham just decided to take Morceli's record, and actually did it (because of the background sport announcers stating that he is attempting to take away the WR)
Wouldn't a world record attempt for a sub 4 athlete be the same effort as me going for a 4:15 mile? I am asking this so I can compare what it would feel like. Roger Bannister ran with Landy, and Bannister won, on top of that he ran the first sub four ever. Then a few days later, Landy wants to beat his record, and after a couple of days he breaks Bannister's record. Between Morceli's mile record, and Hicham's it is a 1 second difference. Between Hicham's 1500m record, and Lagat's, its only :34 of a second. If Hicham were to attempt to break the 1500m record again a few days after he stole the record, would running it in 3:25 be more exhausting than 3:26? I personally don't know my best mile record, the only reasons I achieved that time was because of excellent pacemakers. I am not interested in winning any race, my interest is to beat my record (of course I won't be able to when I get down in the sub-four range everytime.)

Last edited by Angelo Z on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not one time when I feel as confident to run my best while running rather than sitting down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: