Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
U.S. School of Sprints and . . . it is not only psychology

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: U.S. School of Sprints and . . . it is not only psychology Reply with quote

1. I reviewed a tape with sprints from the last world championships.
I looked specifically at Chyla sandwiched between Maurice Green and the Jamaican wonder kid, lanes 5, 4, and 6 respectively. Chyla did make a few mistakes during the race:
-1) his heels did touch his butt – an impediment; the heels should pass nearly butt at one point of the leg recovery, but not touch it,
-2) his heels and knees made about 45 degrees angle while in the process of recovery; his heels where above his waist; at that point the lower leg should be dragged near the lowest part of the upper body and make a 90 degrees angle with the person’s belly – it is not totally natural, but a shortest way to put a leg back in action – turnover,
-3) his jaw tightened up, and he pushed too hard; a great sprinter should be able to push and relax at least a couple times during the 100—meter race; if a sprinter pushes all the time, he or she will start slowing down; however, just relaxing all the time will have the same effect a slowdown; therefore, pushing and relaxing must happen, both, in a single pure sprint race (over 60 meters to possibly 300 meters long).

2. Chyla finished 4th in one of the quarterfinals behind Mills-Myles in 10.23 (Chyla's S.B. for 2004 was 10.21).

3. His indoor 60 m P.B. was 6.62 for the last year, this year he improved and run it twice 6.62 and 6.61. Will he ever improve the Polish national record of 10.00 seconds set by Marian Woronin in 1984?

No.
Why?
Woronin was as white as he is.
Why?
He is a strong guy.
Why?
It is all in his head.

None of the above:
he does not train properly and does not race properly.
The U.S. School of Sprints is superior to any other.
It is, in my opinion, the truth that the IAAF after they created an overgrown system of the Golden League, Super Grand Prix, Grand Prix I, and Grand Prix II system, they must look the other way when top athletes use steroids to recover and avoid injuries; however, it doe snot change the fact that these athletes would be able to achieve the same just a fewer times a year.
The bottom line is that IAAF and other area and national organizations must sale the tickets for the international meets.
Money!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x22Alfgv0DY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgcD2akmeJc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even heard of Chyla...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't either, but I do get his point ... One problem with non sprint countries is that they do not get teh day to day competition in training or meets that help push you to the next level ...

I'll use high school track here in California as an example ... There are "star" sprinters produced just about anywhere, but some areas produce them yearly while in others places its hit and miss ... Los Angeles and San Diego produce them annually ... The Schools in these areas are large since the populations are both large and concentrated ... Teh San Diego section, Los Angeles City section and the Southern section are the top sprint areas every year ... Next in line are Sacramento, San Jose and Oakland (and there surrounding areas) ... It all comes down to the amount and level of ocompetition available ... The Southern California areas dominate just on shear numbers ... The kids in Nor Cal have to work a touch harder ... But, in the end, a great kid from Nor Cal will usually outshine a great kid from So Cal when they move on to the next level ...

I think if some of the European and Asian sprinters and hurdlers spent significant time here in the US you woudl see better resutls from them ... The Africans did in the 90's (Ezinwa, Fredericks, Adeniken, Miles Mills, and others) and it showed in their performances ... Same with all the Caribbeans that have come here and found success ...

I think the same would happen for some of the better Europeans (black and white) if they came here ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One problem with non sprint countries is that they do not get teh day to day competition in training or meets that help push you to the next level ...

Of course, an unfortunately large number of people here will tell you that that daily competition among sprinters is a bad thing. Just had that discussion yesterday, in fact.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really ... Well I can tell you that every experience I've had - personal and observed - says differently ... Sure you can run fast by yourself ... But hard to do ... That is why most of the top sprinters in this country (for example) are either in college (with at least one other top level athlete) or in a camp such as HSI or Sprint Capitol ...

Who were you talking to ??? Email me if it is sensitive ... I'm really curious now ... Almost inclinded to say it was a distance runner or coach ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got mail...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a distance runner I agree with the concept of getting better while training with the best. The Kenyans train together in groups and Kastor and Meb are products of groups that train together. I don't know how anyone can say that you don't get better by training with runners of equal or greater talent.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only situation I can recall where people trained separately for a reason (and with success) was de Oliveira, the Brazillian mid-distance coach. However, his reason wasn't too reduce overdone competitiveness, rather to get them used to working alone in races.

Ironically, the person I was having the discussion with the other day considers de Oliveira to be a horrible coach, although he based that belief largely on erroneous information which I corrected last time the topic came up...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, we've already had this discussion, but basically I'll just say that not everyone is meant to coach ... Just because you enjoy the sport and WANT to coach doesn't mean you should coach .... Coaches (good coaches) are a special breed of individuals that have knowledge to pass on; understand how to pass that knowledge on; and have a style condisive to their athletes receiving that knowledge and translating it into performance ... And not everyone can do that ...
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And not every great athlete becomes a great coach.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ... Becasue a lot of great athletes can't tell you how they do what they do !!!! Some depend on their own natural ability and others depend on their coaches guidance ... Just because you can follow a workout doesn't mean you can design one ...
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever seen the movie The Jericho Mile? It came out in the 70s. A track coach made the statement, "I know how to run fast. I just can't be fast."

So the coach doesn't have to be fast. He just has to know how to run fast and how to explain it to the athlete and design the workout to make that athlete the fastest it can be and determine how much motivation each athlete needs and then supply that motivation. That's all. Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As simple and sensible as that sounds, I couldn't begin to recount how many people I've run into that don't see it that way. Mind-boggling.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see the movie ... It was very good ... And it is a very simple philosophy .... But my grandfather used to tell me that common sense isn't so common any more ... And he was right ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your gramps was a wise man. Thumbs Up

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: