Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
marine recruit needing 3 mile (5 km) running tips!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: marine recruit needing 3 mile (5 km) running tips! Reply with quote

hello, I've recently decided to join the marines. I've begun a very difficult program including running and weightlifting, about 4-5 times a week. anyway, my running time is disgraceful, mostly becuase I haven't done any running in almost ten years. I know most of my issues lay in my form, as I have shin pains after less than a half mile. for the marines, I NEED a time below 28 minutes, but i'm aiming for around 20 min in 3 miles, or running at a pace of 8-10 miles per hr.
my shins aren't too weak, but I guess I must be landing on them wrong, as I don't have any problems with pain outside of running. any strength exercises I could/ should add into my workout programme? I spend at least ten+ hours a week in the weight room, and run 3 miles or more every other day. should I do more distance running, for longer distances, or should I mix in some shorter distance running? I know the shorter distances can help me build up the speed side...
what can I do to understand how I'm running wrong? How do I diagnose my foot landings, and form? My upper form is great, and I never get winded. I know it has to be from my hips down. how can I figure out whats wrong, and correct my leg and foot placement forms?
Thanks!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help on shin splints:

http://run-down.com/tips/tips3.php

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, One of the first things you need to do is make sure you are wearing good shoes. And that they are the proper shoe for your foot strike. Go to a specialty running store like Fleet Feet and let them watch you run and fit you with the right kind of shoe. If you don't live near a Fleet Feet then contact a local running club and get a recommendation from them. Your problem probably isn't form but the wrong shoes. Once you are in the proper footwear you won't have to worry too much about your form.

As far as specific training goes, tailor your running to meet your goals. You want to run 3 miles in 20 minutes. That means you need to average a 6:40 pace for the run. How much time do you have before you have to take your test? Let me know that and I can suggest some training strategies for you.

Good luck,
Micah
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heartily endorse the running tips. I simply don't leave the house on a run without doing these. The exercise will strengthen all aspects of your foot.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I simply don't leave the house on a run without doing these.

Paul isn't kidding... I've witnessed his stretching and warmup routine, and it's impressive, to say the least. Thumbs Up

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: