Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
red bull before a run?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
world

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: red bull before a run? Reply with quote

What's the consensus on drinking a sugar free energy drink, such as red bull, before running? I'm about to go on a 16-miler in preparation for my marathon next month and could use some extra energy.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the point in sugar-free. Sugar is energy, and that's what your after. Caffeine is effective, too, but if you're after an edge, go for the full combo.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big Red Bull fan, just don't care for the taste. I get good results taking something like Metabolol Endurance by Champion Nutrition. Its carbs are lower glycemic, so they empty at a more constant rate during a long workout. Then take a higher glycemic drink as soon as possible after the workout.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
darigaaz12
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on the football team at my school drank 3 red bulls before a game i tihnk and he was shaking so bad and couldnt even play lol. Maybe if he drank less ....
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: red bull before a run? Reply with quote

world wrote:
What's the consensus on drinking a sugar free energy drink, such as red bull, before running? I'm about to go on a 16-miler in preparation for my marathon next month and could use some extra energy.

Well -- why Red Bull? Why not a tea spoon of honey plus juice of half-a-lemon, and a shot of espresso -- it differs from the Red Bull only by the addition of sucrose in the honey.
Anyway – caffeine is tricky: you would have to keep on making anywhere between a constant effort and keeping the constant speed.
If you cannot do the above--mentioned, you will fall from a much higher level than if you did not use caffeine -- it means, in almost all cases, you will have to walk till the end of the race.
If you use caffeine -- you gamble. If you use caffeine, you must be going for the even--effort or even--pace - - new--personal--best run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, Red Bull gives a short and powerful energy high. Very powerful! But then.... *CRASH* you'll feel like s***. For a maybe a shorter distance or time, red bull might work. But a 16 miler I think not. You're far better off getting some extra rest and getting the right foods eaten. If you're doing this and you still don't have the energy, you might not be ready for that workout intensity.
dancingqueen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd avoid it...no need for the caffiene...it'll run out too quickly. I think you are better off with an energy drink or just plain old water!+
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to sound like an ad, but the Gatorade Endurance Formula really does work better than original gatorade. For me and what I'm doing, anyway.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a liquid vs solid carbohydrate study:

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0015.htm

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was an unexpectedly detailed study. Shocked

Personally, I always had major troubles with sports drinks anywhere near exercise time, let alone during. I've tried the gels a few times and had no problems. I don't run long enough for energy intake to be an issue, but my conclusion was that gels are much better for sensitive digestive systems. Perhaps they're slower abosorbing (thus less aggravating), which resulted in the lessened effectiveness in the study?

Dan
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theory: Different drinks and foods are acceptable based on the runner and the distance run along with its nature.
dancingqueen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sounds a lot like "to each their own" Wink
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that woul dbe the case - I like the gels as well as the Endurance Formula... but fo rthe Gels I basically go with Gu - many of the others are just too thick and sticky - that one works best for me and I only usually get plain or possibly vanilla or Orange - chocolate ones just never tase all that good at 18 miles...
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fry, I took you up on the Gatorade Endurance. At first, I wasn't that impressed with the ingredients, about twice the sodium vs potassium. Upon closer inspection, I see that they've tripled the potassium and not quite doubled the sodium from the regular drink, making for a better electrolyte mix, in my opinion. There was a sale at QFC last month, ten for $10. I cleaned out two stores, so I have enough for 2 months to give it a good test. I've been using it when I first get up, to hydrate myself after sleeping. I'll use anywhere from 20 oz to the entire bottle ( 34 oz ) for a couple of hours before my workout. I have found that I don't cramp up as much in the heat when I use it, and I'm not as shaky after a hard workout. Too bad they only have 2 flavors that I know of.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like all that extra potassium is paying off. Maybe I should try that...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: