Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
New PR after abyssmal showing

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: New PR after abyssmal showing Reply with quote

Well in case any of you were wondering where I was the last few weeks I made an attempt at running the NYC marathon that ended up being on eof my worst races ever and my first DNF - I have been training to run 3:15 so I coul dqualify for Boston and went through oh about 9 miles at or under pacefor that time possibly a little quick but maybe a couple of seconds (here are the first 9 miles 8:13, 6:50, 6:56, 7:40, 7:20, 7:14, 7:18, 7:29, 7:50) anyway I knew by 8 miles when my body was shivering that there was no way it was happening made it though struggling over the bridge to 16 miles but then walked off in shame (add to this the fact that I came down with a sinus infection the friday before the race and a lot of personal issues causing a lot of stress - interviewing for new jobs turning down a sizable raise for something that might come soon and finding out that the new addition to our family may have problems before she is here (both turned out to be good - job and baby wise so far more on that at a later time) probably contributed to it...

Anyway spent three days with sore legs which I guess proved something very physical was worng as well - then got back on the horse and ran a bit here and there - wound up with a good workout on the Sunday after and decided to give it another go this past Sunday at Philly

Good race for me felt real good through 21-22 miles OK after had real tough time between 24-25 miles severe leg cramps.. stopped and got some extra gatorade and water - something I need to watch out for in the future I guess... Happy with the time but not extatic. Big PR for me (20 Minutes) but really felt that I had a shot of being lower maybe the race a few weeks ago took something away but who knows - just something to build off of. Miles were as follows. couldn't see mile 1 so first two went through in 15:03, 7:42, 7:37, 7:36, 7:30, 7:32, 7:35, 7:27, 7:41, 7:38, 7:36, 7:37, 7:36, 7:40, 7:32, 7:44, 7:42, 7:55, 7:52, 7:55, 8:28, 8:21, 9:24, 11:02, 10:22 (last one was 1.2 miles so pretty good)

Official splits 10 mi - 1:16, half - 1:39, 14 mi - 1:46, 20 mi - 2:33
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh missed this last bit but now I have to consider the next steps - do I go for another marathon before the qualifying window closes in March or do I run another Spring marathon and wait till next year - honestly I am leaning towards giving it another shot in Jan/Feb seems to be a bunch around there, figure I will wait a bit for that decision and see what my fitness is like in a few weeks - what do you all think?
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I am jacking up my post count... Nah just noticed that the time was not there 3:28:20 was the official time (in case you did not want to add up all those #'s) Off the 3:15 I wanted but still a significant improvement.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better job pacing the 2nd time around. Smile

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only question is can you get in a 3:15 marathon in the next few months without risk of injury?
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the question isn't it... How much rest to take, what specific task needs to be accomplished and what specific training I need to get there...

Do I just basically go with my fitness as it is and add a little and go for it in Jan, or do I get a little extra now and start a mini training plan to be ready for a February assault... Not sure all good questions to think about.

As far as injury I think I can take it. I have felt real good about my training and have been taking the long term approach, slowly building up to a fairly intense schedule over years of time.
Double
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the info provided, I would regroup, run easy through the holidays and then look to do something next year. You still need 30 seconds a mile and that is considerable by any standard. The main ingredients for successful marathoning in descending order are:

Weekly miles
The long run
Strength
Speed

I suggest you work the first proponent by just getting out and gathering miles through the winter. Every other week try to go 1-2 miles longer on a long run until 20 is easily attainable. When you can run a 20 comfortably every other week you have all but captured the strength phase. Two months out from your marathon incorporate speedwork with the bulk of it geared around marathon goal pace work. Run a couple short tune up races and we'll see you in Boston in 2006.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did not get the 3:15 - however I am glad I went for it again

Ran the Rock and Roll Arizona race this past weekend and got a new PR again

Steege Kurt M 35 Princeton NJ Bib - 1729 335/7,365 299/3,827 M_35-39 63/709 Marathon Pace - 7:46 Gun - 3:25:18 Chip - 3:23:37 10K -46:53 1/2 - 1:39:45 20 Miles - 2:33:25

I was very happy with the time, the run and the race in general... Only 8 more minutes to go!!!! So I would say that it will be next year but I am happy that I gave it another shot - had a great race and a great time doing it.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One or two more outings ought to have you down there, but how dare you head out west without giving a shout? Smile

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding effort. Exclamation
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would have if I was in the NW!

things have been a little nuts here new job and a whole lot of other stuff... I know no excuse...

Thanks for the support though both of you
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice effort, AM. How was the weather? Last year was unseasonably warm.
A number of my Club members like to run AZ RnR. But last year at this time they literally couldn't get out of the airport because of the snow in Portland.
I understand they also changed the course a bit to make it even flatter.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

It was warm but not as bad as last year... they also seemed to iron out a lot of the issues I heard about from last year like traffic and things like that.. I thought it was a very well run race and they seemed to have lots of the little things done right... Nice pancake flat course too

I felt that I learned more about the race and my own work than I did in many of the other marathons I have run together...
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you travel to AZ exclusively for the marathon?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Dare I ask?

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: