Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
No bone chip--Yay! (Was bone chip in heel--please help!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: No bone chip--Yay! (Was bone chip in heel--please help!) Reply with quote

Well folks... I'm having a tough time.

After 13 years of running injury free (other than a knee injury not caused by running) I've come across something that'll need surgery before I'll run again.

Started out as plantar fasciitis... and an x-ray a couple weeks ago revealed a bone chip in my left heel... near (beneath??) the tendon. I guess things just got so tight that the pressure on the bone caused it to break. (Though I do know of an acute injury about 2 years ago that may have led to the issue--running to catch a bus in steel-toed combat boots on pavement is STUPID, okay?!?!?).

Doc didn't say much other than to refer me to an ortho doctor, who I'll see this week.

SO I imagine surgery to remove the chip is the only way to heal the injury.

Question is, does anyone know of other runners who have had the same problem... and how long can I expect to be sidelined?

This really isn't cool.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mlewis73 on Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be of any help here, sorry. Sad

Dan
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Can't be of any help here, sorry. Sad

Dan

Still waiting to see what the ortho says.

Grrrr..... Should know something Tuesday night.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough luck. Sad

I don't know of anyone with this type of surgery but if it is arthroscopic surgery your down time may not be that bad. Good luck and keep us posted.
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah Ward wrote:
Tough luck. Sad

I don't know of anyone with this type of surgery but if it is arthroscopic surgery your down time may not be that bad. Good luck and keep us posted.

We'll see... It's funny... As one who never gets sick, I'm climbing the walls having to deal with "downtime" from running... or the prospect thereof. Knee surgery last year... foot surgery this year or early next.

Grrrrrr....
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news tonight. X-rays done at the ortho's office show no bone chip... just a little spur near the Achille's tendon... doc says that of the cases he sees with Plantar Fasciitis, 50% don't have the spur and 50% do... says it most likely isn't an issue.

He did say that the root of the problem is lack of fat padding on my heel. He can feel the bone through the foot... SO he's ordered a change in running shoes (from my beloved Pegasus... Grrrr...) and custom orthotics with pads built in.

We'll see...

Mike
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news, indeed.

If the problem is just in the heel, I would think generic orthodics would stand a good chance of working. Customs (i.e. $$$) are much more important when the problem is in the mid or forefoot, as that requires a better fitted structural support. But since all you need is the extra cushioning, a $5 orthotic off the shelf should work just as well as a $600 custom one.

And don't necessarily trust your insurance when they say they'll cover orthotics. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't... I know from first hand experience. Sad I promptly cancelled my health insurance after that and haven't looked back. If they're not going to cover what they say they will, I don't see much point paying the premiums.

Dan
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
That's good news, indeed.

If the problem is just in the heel, I would think generic orthodics would stand a good chance of working. Customs (i.e. $$$) are much more important when the problem is in the mid or forefoot, as that requires a better fitted structural support. But since all you need is the extra cushioning, a $5 orthotic off the shelf should work just as well as a $600 custom one.

And don't necessarily trust your insurance when they say they'll cover orthotics. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't... I know from first hand experience. Sad I promptly cancelled my health insurance after that and haven't looked back. If they're not going to cover what they say they will, I don't see much point paying the premiums.

Dan

Luckily, the military's healthcare system pays for orthotics... at least in this region. Not sure if that is the case where I was previously. Hopefully they'll be cheap... I don't like to take advantage of the military's "kindness" too often... but the healthcare system has been there for me every time I've needed it... one reason why I want to stay in the service and keep doing my best work.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hopefully they'll be cheap... I don't like to take advantage of the military's "kindness" too often...

The $600 I quoted above is a figure derived from experience... Subsequent pairs will be around $200 if you don't require re-casting.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, as a former USAF officer I say don't feel bad about using the military health care system. It is in the USAF's best interest to keep you fit and on duty, so both of you benefit. My orthotics only cost $75 but a subsequent pair from a different PT clinic was priced at $350 so I didn't get them. I guess it varies from clinic to clinic and probably what part of the country you are in too. It's great that the orthotics are really the only issue you have to worry about. Surgery would have been no fun at all. Surprised
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$75?? Was that full custom?

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: