FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
How much is too much?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterJ
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: How much is too much? Reply with quote

this question is in my mind for 3 years now, and I have never got a satiesfying answer. Is running 6 hours a week to much, should you run up to 10 hours. When I started running, it was easy 1 day running, 1 day recovering was the rule for a couple months. But later you start to increase it step by step and don't feel much pain therefore you believe you are able to cope with it.
This week a read a critical comment about the ambitious leisure runners and their main problem: They run too much but set not enough impulses to the muscles and the body. Which means if they run always the same speed length, route etc. there is no progress and improvement. His conclusion was reduce the training days but increase the intensity by either runing longer or faster or both.
This is not really new, but it still doesn't answer my question: What is an appropriate recovery time, is there a way to measure or feel it? I realise it depends on your training level and can't be answered in general. Do you have a good indicator when you are recovered and start the next round?

Regards

Peter
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an impossible question to answer. You have to factor in the invidual's physiology and goals, current level of training, progression, time available, etc.

Quote:
This week a read a critical comment about the ambitious leisure runners and their main problem: They run too much but set not enough impulses to the muscles and the body. Which means if they run always the same speed length, route etc. there is no progress and improvement. His conclusion was reduce the training days but increase the intensity by either runing longer or faster or both.

See the contradiction there? He's not even saying runners are running too much (despite that apparently being the point of the article), just that they're running too leisurely. Totally different matter.

Dan
PeterJ
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
He's not even saying runners are running too much (despite that apparently being the point of the article), just that they're running too leisurely. Totally different matter.
Dan
Granted, possibly my interpretation. But my point was: Is there an indication when it is better to recover. I have heard the expensive Polar HR watches have such a functoin, but spending several hundred bucks, no I don't like the idea.
I guess it again comes develop a feeling for it ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there an indication when it is better to recover.

It still has to be analyzed on a case by case basis. I'm very skeptical that any piece of equipment can tell you when you need recovery time. I coached a guy that got injured easily but recovered so quickly it defied reason (and all the trainers' expectations) -- how would machinery explain that? It can't, quite simply.

The only true answer to your question is to be in tune with the signals your body is sending and know (from experience) how to respond to them.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan is right about tuning in to your own body. We are each a unique experiment and what works for me may not work for you. One simple thing you can do though is monitor your resting heart rate first thing in the morning. Check your heart rate every morning for a week and use that average as a baseline. Any time your heart rate is elevated by more than ten percent it could be from overtraining or illness. In either case, take that day off.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even that is problematic, as your resting heart rate can and should change with your fitness level.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: