Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
Helpful hint(s) for the 2005 Fantasy T&F League

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't hear what the deal was with Powell, other than DNF'ing the final in London. Did he reinjure the groin?

Dan
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was announced it MAY be a new injury to the right hamstring and groin and that he is questionable for the World Champinships.
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: whoa is me Reply with quote

First Asafa Powell is out due to injury and then one of my biggest favorites is outsed in round 1 of the 1500m Daniel K. Komen. Still that leave about 17 of my athletes to possibly score.

Dan when you get a chance let me know what you found out question I asked you concerning the women's 10000m?
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Komen upsets many T&F League Managers Reply with quote

Great too many points won't be lost with Daniel Kipchirchir Komen going out in heat 1 as 15 of the top 17 had him on their roster. Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"That question" is whether or not the 5k/10k results both count toward Fantasy top-8 scoring for the selected distance event. My memory from last time around is that we did indeed combine them, using Purdy equivalencies to take the top-8 overall. Does anyone remember differently?

Dan
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: didn't fare so well Reply with quote

World Championships definitely wasn't not one of my strongest meets. I had about 20 strong performers and was prepared for a good meet; however, most performed below what I and many track and field sites (predicitons). Asafa Powell withdraw from another meet. Is he afraid of Justin Gatlin-at first he was running Zurich- as he pulled out of the meet after stating he was ready.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commented in another thread that most of the scores were down a bit for Worlds. At first that surprised me, because I thought it would be a chance for the big scorers to shine, but then it occurred to me that the selection scales have been tipped a bit toward the "value" athletes instead of the stars, but not all of those athletes have a shot at scoring in the championship meets. Also, being a championship, the distance races tend to produce slower times, so less performance points are awarded.

Dan
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Where did they go? Reply with quote

The 800m is having a huge drop off on the GP curcuit this year in respect to fast performerances. As of August 23 not one sub 1:44- its been a long time since that has happened.

Dan or Anyone

What do you think is the culprit in the non-exisiting sub 1:44 this far into track season?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parity? There aren't really any standouts but lots of solid talent, so everyone's racing for place and not for time. Borzo is arguably the best guy out there, but he'll never contribute to setting a fast pace. First laps are 2 seconds slower now than when Kipketer was in his prime, and that makes sub-1:44 almost impossible.

Dan
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Strong frontrunners aren't forcing the pace the last 2 yrs Reply with quote

Yes but the guy who normally forges the past the last two years have changed tactics and missed out on medals in the Olympics and Worlds due to tactical change. Wilfred Bungei is a frontrunner who have abandon what made him a top 800m runner, hopefully he will see the error of his ways!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about Bungei when I posted that. Maybe he'll bounce back, but I'm guessing he's on the downside of his career (or he just isn't at full health right now), and what we're seeing of him is about all he can muster. He certainly doesn't look like he's got more to give running at these slower paces.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the half milers are starting to act like distance runners !!!! I think guys like Borzakovsky are somewhat responsible ... There are some very good kickers out there right now and it seems like instead of taking the pace out hard to take the sting out of the kickers, a lot of athletes are choosing to "save their energy" to try and kick with them ... Not the smartest tactic ...
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: NEXT year Dan Reply with quote

Seriously Dan

Next year for the Fantasy League Asafa Powell should COST should be below 5000. This is the 2nd time I picked Asafa Powell and he has garner me a single point in either year I selected the sorry excuse for an athlete.
The potential of an athlete means nothing if they never step on the track and considering he's avoids the GP circuit more than he runs he should be cheap next year.

I almost went with Justin Gatlin, Ali Mansour, and Yelena Z. would have finished in top 5 had I not changed my picks and erased them and add Asafa Powell and Andre Bucher.
TheGlyde
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone could make a similar comment and say they would have been higher if they had picked so and so... lots of people tossed a coin and lost, i chose between Zakari and Crawford... bzzzt... wrong answer.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been plenty guilty of wringing my hands over non-selections... I avoided Powell for exactly the reasons mentioned. I just didn't see him following up his WR performance with anything of substance. On the other hand, I figured Crawford would have a solid follow-up to last year, and he was a nearly complete no-show.

I commented in the meet #10 thread that final statistics show the sprints ranking quite well in overall scoring and value pricing, so Powell's failure to perform up to pricing expectations doesn't indicate a need to change anything. He's just one example that turned out to be a bad choice. Lots of others in his event were very good picks.

The only part I see that needs attention to possible tweaking is individual weighting of events. Now that we're establishing some seasonal history, maybe we can analyze how various events (with and without GL status) fare from year to year and look for usable trends.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: