Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Multiple events

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2000 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sophomore track season is now less than a month away. I want to know how to best handle running 2 or 3 events in a track meet. The 4 by 800, 1600 and the 3200 are fairly equally spaced apart in the meets. What is the best thing to do between events to recover? Also, what should I work on to best prepare myself for this? Thanks.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Gabe']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2000 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, that's a tough triple! Smile

I don't know if that's your coach's or your decision to run all three (in Oregon it wouldn't be allowed because of the distances), but doing so on a regular basis could easily lead to overuse injuries or burnout.

Warnings aside, the best way to handle two or three of those is to have a very good endurance and speed/pace base to handle the volume and intensity, as well as treating the races as training supplements. If you try to really race all three every week, you'll probably find it nearly impossible to get any other quality training in during the week.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2000 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will only be running 3 events in a meet a few times. When I do, they will be in a dual meet between us and another team. I agree with really racing only one race in a meet. In the dual meets, the fields are small and not very deep. Anyhow, do you have any suggestions on what to do in the 45-60 minutes or so between the 1600m and 3200m? I know just laying on the ground and doing nothing is not a good idea.
Gabe

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Gabe']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2000 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My approach is to pretty much stay active throughout that period. It's important to do a gentle cooldown after races, including a good 15-20 minutes of stretching. Jog around a bit, stretch, do some strides, then warm up for the next race. It's pretty easy to overdo it this way, but I figure it's better to risk that than to tighten up and get injured.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2000 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same predicament that gabe is in, as I am a sophmore about to finish up my indoor track season, but my coach is making me run the 4x8, mile,1000 and 2mile all in the state indoor meet, in that order. Theyare all about 1.5 hours apart, and I am running all of them to win. I have a good distance background, and I am only running all 4 in state, regional, and confrence. I also am running the 1000 in nationals 2 weeks later, and I don't want to be tired out for that. Would you advise against doing this, even if it costs my school a state championship, I will pass whatever advice you give to my coach. Also, I know that carbo-loading is generally not needed for these distances, but because i have to maintain my energy throughout the day, should I try it, and exactly how should I do it?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Lassiter']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2000 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seneca??? Smile

To be honest, I'm not sure I feel comfortable advising someone when it comes to the interaction with their coach and team. That's an area that you sort of have to develop the trust in the people you're working with and assume they know what's best for you.

Having said that, if it were me, I'd have to weight my realistic chances of scoring in each event, how much the team needs the points, and how it fits into my overall season goals. If you feel ready to run all four (unlikely, in my opinion) without risking injury or burnout, then do what your coach wants. If you don't think you can handle that, then a good coach will recognize the danger and be willing to back off.

Carbo loading may or may not help, but it's very unlikely that it will hurt. Nothing special, just pasta a few days before. That will provide some long-burning energy. Combine that with simple sugars for the short-term stuff, fruits, etc. Smile Basically, avoid anything that might upset your stomach and you should be ok.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2000 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you , but I cannt weigh that myself, I need an emotionally unconnected person, please! well:, I'm sure I'll win mile and 1000, and we'll probably win the 800, and I'll get second in 2mile, and aside from a possible 10-15 points from the sprinters, those are the only points that our team is going to get, so what i do that day determines the color of our medals, no pressure. I was thinking that I coul just rest for the 2mile, and go for a mediocre, 3rd place 11:40 or so. AHH!! I'm so worried about this, should I go for a state championship for my team, or save my fatest race for Boston Indoor in March? I'm sorry, I know you can't really choose for me, but just writing this is sort of helping me sort through this. Also, do you think I should start practicing doing 4 events in dual meets? Or would that just wear me out?

ps:Seneca? Whats that?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'lassiter']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2000 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seneca Lassiter -- one of the top two American milers. Wink

Ok, I'll give you my advice, but remember that it's merely my opinion... Since the 2-mile is last, longest, and your least likely for the win, I would wait until after the 1k to decide. You have plenty of time in between events to monitor how you are feeling. There is a big difference between 1st place and 3rd place points, so get the most out of your best races. I would probably consider the 4x800 the most important, as that's the event where teammates are relying on you directly.

The other thing to consider is whether or not you have any cushion in the events you expect to win. If you can save a bit here and there, without losing focus and slipping up, you might be able to make it through all four.

Lastly, I definitely would not recommend praciting four events in dual meets. You'll most likely just find it impossible to get in any quality training if you do. The key to handling those four events is your conditioning and training leading in. Racing makes you sharp, but it's training that makes you tough!

Best of luck, and remember to relax and enjoy the great oportunity that you have.

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2000 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that seneca think is cool, exept lassiter is my first name, and thanks for the advice. I'll apply it, and my coach agrees with you, but AHH, I have yet another problem! ( I can almost hear you groaning)

We just got our final seedings and schedual today for state, and they switched the events around into the absolutely most retarted order I've ever seen!

i'll do the 1600 first, theh 2hours later the 2mile, and then the very next race, the 1000, and then 2 more h later the 4x8. That means that the only thing seperating those two races is the 30min it'll take to do the other heat, and the boys race. And, I wanted to break the state indoor record-3:06, in the 1000, which I've already done on an indoor track, but it has to be done in state, and i probably wont be able to do it now!
As for cusioning, I've bagged the 1000 and 1600, each by at least 10 sec, so those are mine, and it would be impossible for me to get less than 3rd in the 3200, but now i'm worried about the 4x8, cause our girls only average about 2:30 now, and I don't know if we'll be able to step it up while being so tired!
Any advice on the food to eat, things to do, or moral support for a completly spastic runner?!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'lassiter']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2000 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that definitely complicates matters. The 1000 sounds like an important one for you, and the 2 mile being so close will almost certainly throw that off... I think the 2 mile has to go. Smile I would take your chances on your teammates pulling through on the 4x800, rather than risking blowing up on back to back races.

Relaxing and visualizing before and between races will be important. Stay focused and positive, and you should be ok. If you want my advice on food, you won't have much left to eat! Smile I'm on a pretty restricted diet of non wheat/dairy/egg. I wish I had gone on it while I was competing, because it would have helped me tremendously...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: