Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Hard days-

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2000 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I train mostly for the 400 now. is it better to do 4 hard days one week and then take it easier the next week? The problem I have is that I can't ever predict how hard I can work out until after I warm up. My warm up is almost a workout in itself-400m stride,6x80m strides-pick it up slightly after each one, 3x30 high knees,1-2x200m-30s or so. Then Im ready to work out. A hard day can either have little rest at a slightly slower pace for 200s or 300s or lots of rest at a fast pace-150s-300s. Sometimes I can do these workouts on consecutive days or even for three days. Then I normally need to back off a day,take a day off, do a hard workout,back off a day,and then repeat it all over again. I can tell my speed has improved, but it kind of plateaued recently.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dave Murphy']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2000 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

It sounds like you really need to warm up before your warm-up! Wink The warm-up you have described really is more like a workout, as it is fairly interval based. A warm-up should be to get the blood flowing and muscles loose; more aerobic in nature. Try a 2-4 lap jog, then do your drills and strides.

Also, I think it would help you a lot to have a good idea what you want to get out of each workout before you begin. This is where having a coach helps immeasurably, because very few people can accurately guage how they truly feel in the middle of a hard workout.

As far as hard days a week, I think three is more optimal. Four is doable on occasion, but doing so regularly might explain your recent plateau. I prefer to alternate hard and easy days, as this allows you to get the most out of every hard workout.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2000 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These types of workouts are kind of what my coach from high school last year made us do. He was an accomplished runner-48.9 400 and 1:55 800-so we just did them without thinking. Whenever we didn't feel so hot we wouldn't run as hard and he would realize it. Maybe my body got so used to doing those workouts that I hesitate to try something new. I have another question-is it important to be making gains in flexibility? I stretch about 6-9 minutes a day,and hold my stretches for 20 seconds but never become more flexible. Do you have any tips?

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2000 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely hard to argue with somone who's had positive results. One of the toughest things to separate is the people who succeed because of their training methods vs. the people who succeed in spite of them. Talent might be the most undefineable of all characteristics, yet it plays a huge roll in analyzing training.

Stretching and flexibility is very important, especially for a sprinter. There is so much stress on your muscles that you need them to be able to stretch and relax without undue strain. Aim for about 10 minutes of stretching between your warm-up and workout, and another 10-20 minutes after the workout. That should help you a lot. Also, there are a few excellent stretching resources in the running links. Do a search for "stretch" or "stretching."

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2000 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently talked to my old coach. He told me that he thought I could run under 50 seconds as early as this summer. I am hopeful but I think I would need to be able to run the first 200 in 23.8 or so and come home in under 26.2 to do it. I find it so difficult to run at such a pace for any distance that I am having doubts. My 200m pr is 23.9, but I never trained for that event specifically. Right now I am lifting often so I can increase my power and stride length and make a sub 24 second 200 seem easier. Do you have any tips on which weightlifting exercises to do? I have experimented with squats, but decided they taxed my body too much if I did lots of weight. I do bench press,behind the neck press, leg press, dips, upright rows, calf raises, bent over rows, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2000 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently talked to my old coach. He told me that he thought I could run under 50 seconds as early as this summer. I am hopeful but I think I would need to be able to run the first 200 in 23.8 or so and come home in under 26.2 to do it. I find it so difficult to run at such a pace for any distance that I am having doubts. My 200m pr is 23.9, but I never trained for that event specifically. Right now I am lifting often so I can increase my power and stride length and make a sub 24 second 200 seem easier. Do you have any tips on which weightlifting exercises to do? I have experimented with squats, but decided they taxed my body too much if I did lots of weight. I do bench press,behind the neck press, leg press, dips, upright rows, calf raises, bent over rows, etc.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2000 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone with pretty similar exercises: lots of leg presses (hip sled), calf work, stomach work, arm swings, curls, tri's, dips, flys, leg lift (forward and back on machine). Of course, I consider that largely supplemental to the sprints and bounding/drills.

Dan

p.s. A 40 minute echo; impressive! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: