Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
The fastest mile in the shortest time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragincajun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: The fastest mile in the shortest time Reply with quote

The state track meet is coming up soon.(about 5-6 weeks) I would like to go in the mile. In about 3-4 weeks time, I brought my time from around a 6:00 to a 5:15. Does anyone have any help on how to drop time fast? The best runners in the state in class B are around a 4:30-40 and I would like to be competitive.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, it is going to be nearly impossible to get down to 4:40 time in 5-6 weeks from what you said about dropping time that quickly from 6:00 to 5:15. In the next five-six weeks, I would say that 5:00 is a good goal for you. You are going to find that the faster you get, the more difficult it is to drop time.

Make sure that you are getting a long run in every weekend, probably in the 6-10 miles range, that is if you are not already racing that weekend. Most important is going to be your conditioning between seasons if you want to be competitive at this level. If you are serious about it, then you will need to make a big commitment this summer, or if this is indoor you are trying to make it for, then perhaps for outdoor you can consider it with the right dedication. The people on this board can help you make a training plan for these things, but as I am sure Dan will tell you, we need some more specifics from you to help.

Is this indoor states you are talking about?
What is your training like now?
Are you a first year runner?
How old are you?
Whats the longest run you do every week?
And anything more you can think of.

Good luck.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answer, Jason. Thumbs Up

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: The fastest mile in the shortest time Reply with quote

ragincajun wrote:
The state track meet is coming up soon.(about 5-6 weeks) I would like to go in the mile. In about 3-4 weeks time, I brought my time from around a 6:00 to a 5:15. Does anyone have any help on how to drop time fast? The best runners in the state in class B are around a 4:30-40 and I would like to be competitive.

___You should take it easy.
___Once you achieve certain level, you hit a "flat." Instead of trying to get even faster, you should try not to slope down and not to overstrain. Teach your body to be relaxed while running at your current maximum speed.
___Once you achieve ease of run at your current maximum speed, start working on getting even faster hard. For now, you should take my advice, and in the mean time, try some speed work, but speed work aiming at a realistic target: like 5:00 flat.
___Let assume for a while here that when it come to the mile race you are made of steel, so to speak, and you very quickly drop your time from 5:15 to 5:00 flat. If you are, my answer is very simple, start working on getting down to 4:45.
___I see what kind of a person you are. I know that you will not race enough before the race: make yourself rest at least a little!!!
___During the race try to please your personality. It may sound like an ill advice, but it should work for you. I do not think that you are ready to run negative splits.
___Let say that you get your time down to 4:50, get out like if you were running at the 4:40 pace, and be certain to keep the pace for the first three laps: first 1200 meters plus in 3:30. Afterwards, you should be able to finish well as long as the adrenaline will kick in which in your case should happen.

---
---
---
"Drago" "indeur" "Hornet" "former Scooter 69" "Kolaczek"
12/28/1973
kolakows@pegasus.rutgers.edu
138 Ripley Place, Apt. 2, Elizabeth, NJ, 07206
[used to live at 1093 Sheridan Avenue, Apt. B, Elizabeth, NJ 07208 untill April, 2003, and officially moved on August 1, 2003]
908-558-7487
BORN: Bialystok, Podlasie, Poland/Polska
Quit with Elizabeth Police Department / City of Elizabeth, NJ, USA
on October 20, 2003, effective October 21, 2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: