Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
1500 final

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: 1500 final Reply with quote

That was a good race, the finishing time wasn't particularily fast, but the last 800 was a nutty 1:46.8 with a 51 second finish. I don't usually play favorites, but I really found myself cheering for him to beat out Lagat at the end. It would have been sad to see El Guerrouj do all that he's done and never win an olympic gold. Would have liked to see Sullivan and/or Webb in the final, still lots of time for Webb though.

And I can't wait for the 5000 now. I don't know if ElG will be any match for Bekele this time, but it'll be interesting either way.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize that ElG was still going to attempt that double. With all his reported sinus problems, I figured he would be calling it a week.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bekele is an animal ... I don't see anyone stopping him ... But will be interesting to see what ElG can do against him ...
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe Kipchoge and Bekele let it go that slow. They must have known that El Guerrouj would want a fast finish, but then they all have fast finishes and Bekele did admit that he was tired from the 10,000. Afterwards El G said that he wants to go for the 5k world record. Could be an awesome rivalry.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never understand racing strategy ... One way on the Circuit ... Another in championships ... And from everything I've seen, when anyone has raced ina championship the way they do on the Circuit they WIN ... Wait and kick has got to be the most egomaniacle form of racing there is ... The pace was slow so the miler won ... That simple ... Am I missing something ???

But as you said these guys are young and should have a long exciting rivalry ...
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After talking with other people and reading interviews, it looks like Bekele wanted it to go slow because he was tired from the 10k and 5k heats. That would explain why he took the lead and slowed the pace. He might have been hoping that his team mates could box in El Guerrouj to give him a head start on his kick, which if you look closely, they almost did and since he only won by 0.2 seconds that may have made the difference. It makes sense if you think about it. Everyone seems to assume that bekele could just hammer it out from the front at world record pace whenever he wants.... I guess he is human after all.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't expect him to hammer it out at WR pace ... But I did expect him to go out hard enough to take the kick out ofr a guy like ElG ... But I do understand the logic you presented .. It almost worked so can't truly fault it ... Either way it was great racing ...
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things being equal....pure speed is going to win. Having said that I'm not sure if Bekele could have taken El G's kick out over the 5K distance. If it was a 10K or marathon it is a different story but Ward's Worthless Opinion is that El G could have gone any pace Bekele could have run for 5K and then the kick would get him.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Bekele may have simply peaked too early this year. Two huge world records plus didn't he take World XC this year? Bekele was tired after the 10K. He may have thought all that racing was going to affect ElG's legs.

ElG was expecting help from his countryman in the 1500, but he got boxed out of it right at the start, so ElG was pretty much on his own.

You have to understand ElG's training. He does a lot of long intervals and has a lot of pacing help in his workouts. Pacers will join him half way through each interval to make sure he stays on track. This, among other reasons, is why all his really fast races have been paced. He's used to it. So to go out and be paced by Bekele for the entire race was right up ElG's alley, a strategy that backfired for Bekele.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: