Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
Webb is out

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Webb is out Reply with quote

Alan Webb just missed qualifying for the second round. If you missed the race, he finished ninth in his heat to miss getting to the next round by 0.11 s. He was running in the outer lanes the whole race towards the middle then back of the pack. He made a late charge, but another runner bumped him back and further out just as he was moving up with 80 m to go. Looked like he was trying to play it safe the whole race and avoid getting boxed in, but ended up getting boxed "out".
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched it. I hate to say I told you so, but... Neutral

Really not a bad race for Webb, but it looked like he was so determined to be flexible in his race plan that he forgot to actually have a plan. He just sort of drifted in and out of the mix and was quite obviously waiting too long to make a push.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webb got hit with americandistancerunneritis at the wrong time !!!! Wait and kick - the death of the American distance runner ... Sad
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He at least kept himself out of trouble, which is half the typical problem. He just didn't seem to have anything extra to give it, which is exactly what I predicted a couple months ago... Regardless of waiting too long to kick, he looked like he was straining to hold even at a much slower pace then he comfortably handled earlier this season. Dare I say ... mis-timed his peak?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL ... Maybe ... Looked like he got jostled more than is usual for him ... Spent too much time fiddlin around in the pack ... Ran longer than he needed to too ... Was always on the outside of the pack ... Just not a very smart race ... I think it was too slow to decide if he wasn't ready to peak ... But he definitely wasn't ready to race !!!!
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

Dan

Dan wrote:
I'm liking his chances more than I did a month or two ago, largely because he's done pretty much what I said he needed to in dropping the level down a few notches so he could hit a second peak in time for Athens. I don't think he'll have a problem making that final, at which point PRs aren't all that important in relation to racing savvy.

Dan

:question:
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was starting to think he might've salvaged things by racing so sparingly during the European season, but go back to what I said originally and the gist was that his only chance of meeting expectations in Athens was to severely cut back the competition schedule, and even that would be an extreme long shot to maintain the early season form.

I got suckered into almost believing, based on his Trials performance, and was second guessing myself a bit...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the race I kept thinking kick, kick, kick when the last lap started. He just waited too long.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was more than that, though. He appeared to be trying to kick the entire last lap, he just never found the necessary gear.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is another chapter in the education of Alan Webb. He will be back.
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

Really not a bad race for Webb, but it looked like he was so determined to be flexible in his race plan that he forgot to actually have a plan. He just sort of drifted in and out of the mix and was quite obviously waiting too long to make a push.

Dan

___What about advancing to the next round? Any body home?
___I guess the "donkey" with ears on TV and Webb let the hype to get to their heads a little too much.
___What Webb should have done was elbow like crazy for the inside position, stay in the eight or seventh place for nearly the entire race, try to sneakily and quickly move up on the second to last turn, and if necessary run on somebody's shoulder throwing elbows on the last turn and the straight away.
___What Webb did was run as the third man from the inside for the first 1000 meters or 6 turns. I do not know the specs of the Olympic stadium, but my guess would be that he ran about 6 times 4 meters more than any other runner in the race or at least 24 meters total, and probably 48 meters more than the competitors in the inside lane.
___What our boy needs is a lesson from Regina Jacobs in the school of hard knocks or enter a race with three Russian women known as runners / team boxers. The Polish trio is not much behind them in brutality to be totally honest.
___I like Jacobs for her toughness and quickness, and strength. No one messed with the lady. If some one threw an elbow between her ribs, she would throw two elbows back within less than a second.

___
___
___
Robert "indeur" "Hornet" "Drago" "former scooter 69" Kolakowski
138 Ripley Place, Apt 2, Elizabeth, New Jersey, 07206
[previously, unofficially until April 1, officialy until August 1, 2003 at 1093 Sheridan Avenue, Apt. B, Elizabeth, New Jersey, 07208]
Born: Bialystok, Podlasie, POLAND, on 12/28/1973
kolakows@pegasus.rutgers.edu
Quit with Elizabeth Police Department / City of Elizabeth, NJ, USA
on October 20, 2003, effective October 21, 2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping

Last edited by Indeurr on Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He will be back.

I'm sure he will. I just can't help but think he royally screwed up the most important part of the next 4 seasons by peaking way too soon. Call it hindsight if you will, but I was pretty outspoken about this exact thing happening back at the start of the summer... I think Paul was the only one that believed me then.

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Quote:
He will be back.

I'm sure he will. I just can't help but think he royally screwed up the most important part of the next 4 seasons by peaking way too soon. Call it hindsight if you will, but I was pretty outspoken about this exact thing happening back at the start of the summer... I think Paul was the only one that believed me then.

Dan

Well, you have been possibly right.
However, a lot can happen within 4 yours. At least he ran in the Olympics.

-----
-----
-----
-----
"Drago" "indeur" "Hornet" "former Scooter 69" "Kolaczek"
12/28/1973
kolakows@pegasus.rutgers.edu
138 Ripley Place, Apt. 2, Elizabeth, NJ, 07206
[used to live at 1093 Sheridan Avenue, Apt. B, Elizabeth, NJ 07208 untill April, 2003, and officially moved on August 1, 2003]
908-558-7487
BORN: Bialystok, Podlasie, Poland/Polska
Quit with Elizabeth Police Department / City of Elizabeth, NJ, USA
on October 20, 2003, effective October 21, 2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Webb will run some more races in Europe after the Olympics. Webb was very hot early in the season. That kind of racing can't be sustained for 8-10 weeks. I saw him, live, run 3:50 (mile) at Pre in June.

The other point that can't be overlooked, is that the Olympic venue demands a series of hard races scheduled every other day. You have to be prepared for that. Its one thing to run 3:28 once, and quite another to run 3:34 - 3:35 every other day for half a week. US distance runners seem to be missing that ability to get through early rounds. This has to be dealt with in training, and I wonder if it has become a missing component.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points ... Hadn't really looked at it that way ... There is a difference between a one day run and a series of runs over a week .... Although 3:28 is a little faster than they would go (or did go) ... But I would think repeat 3:40's with a day in between each should be doable ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: