Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
100m and 200m Times

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are truly going to be some fireworks tonight in the Men's 100 semis and indeed, the final. As a Greene fan I'm rooting for him to win, but it could be a close race, prehaps not as close as the 1952 Helsinki final, but it should certainly be a thriller.

Picks for the medal spots anyone? For the 'Sub-10 prediction' contest I prematurely chose my top 3 as; Mo Greene, Asafa Powell and Justin Gatlin in that order. But now I'm leaning more towards the thought of Mo Greene, Asafa Powell and Shawn Crawford in that order. I am not perfectly clear about who could medal, and I see 3 favourites in those medal spots, but we shouldn't count out the 'quite men' who could possibly cause an upset. I don't think anyone is going be more anxious than me from the time that the second semi-final finishes to the time that the final starts...something historical is going down tonite, I can feel it...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's true that the likes of Christie, Bailey and some other candian and british runners are of jamaican decent, I cannot think of any except ottey who switched nationality.

Add Ben Johnson to the list, of course. That accounts for every gold medal winner from '88 to '96. And it's more than just decent -- they were actually born in Jamaica. I'd say that pretty much makes them Jamaican...

I can't think of any others that switched nationality, but we made a list a while back of all the top Jamaicans we could think of and it was truly impressive.

Dan
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obikwelu certainly looks like the quiet man who could pull off an upset. However the nigerians (or ex-nigerian) have a poor record in finals, you would think it was hereditary. He has won a world 200 silver, so their is a possibility.

Whats interesting is that the 200m seems wide open with crawford, williams, powell, bolt and obikwelu. I tip crawford in the 200, with obikwelu second.

Going back to the 100m, still going for a powell, crawford 1-2 with obikwelu or greene in the bronze medal position.

But as years past, the prediction will be wrong. thats what makes it fun.
Anything can happen on the day. False starts, Bad starts, injuries or just plain nerves.
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, johnson and christie are both jamaican born. Hurdler, colin jackson is half jamaican and half welsh. Hell, theres jamaican genes everywhere.

Next thing you know, athletes will be injecting themselves with jamaican genes.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be one hot 100 ... But I'm still sticking with Mo ... I saw lack of concentration in Powell last night in that quarterfinal ... He made a mistake and he seems more intent on trying to intimidate than race right now ... I think he has bought into his own hype and that is a mistake ... Mo will be the most focused athlete on the track and that will be the X-factor ... Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone notice how small/short Mo looks on the track all of a sudden? Just a couple years ago, he fit the protypical sprinter build of 5'9" to 5'10", 165 to 175 lb, but now we're seeing a proliferation of big guys like Powell (6'2") and Bolt (6'5") that have turnover unlike most previous sprinters their size. When Powell's running alongside Mo, it almost looks like he's toying with the champ, just jogging along. Makes it tough to tell how hard Asafa is really pushing.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone else see the interview with Crawford and the clips of him racing the zebra? I loved it!!! Very Happy

I hope he takes the gold! Thumbs Up
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think greenes letting powell get to him and powell may just get too caught up on focusing on greene, which could mean crawford or obikwelu running away with it. There really isn,t much in it between the five sprinters including gatlin, i cannot recall such a closely contested olympics ever.

Maybe 1952 which x-king mentioned earlier.

Looks like a photo-finish result!!!
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I said it was gonna be clsoe and it was...not in the order I'd expected but still a great race...definetly one to savour...

Gatlin ran a great race tat's off to him!!! He deserved it, and Obik was great in the final stages but just couldn't get there in the end...great stuff from Greene he joined a very exclusive club of Men to have won the gold in one olympics and then medalled again in the next olympics...and that aint no slouch...

4 sub-9.90, we ain't neva seen so much depth in one 100m race EVER!
5 sub-10.00, only one race that had more, and that was Tokyo '91 WCH final, but still impressive from this year's OG

Powell run out of the medals...I can't say I'm suprised...After seeing his impressive perfs. in the preliminaries, I defintely thought he would medal, but at the startline he was just TOO nervous...he was sweating like a boar and his eyes told a different story...

I was just glad to see Greene in the mix after the last 2 years in which he has had some problems...Greene was willing to die fo' the title, and he put himself out on a limb...Great race, it's a keeper for all-time...

Can't wait to see Crawford in the duece...he's gonna out fo' sum revenge and that's gonna mean a fast time, let's just hope this time he can conserve some energy in the early rounds...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only prediction i got right was that my prediction was probably going to be wrong.

I went for the logical choices, using my head not my heart. Before the games and up to the semi-finals, both crawford and powell looked hot.
But hats off to Gatlin ( I considered him the weakest of the top 5 contenders) for doing it when it mattered.

Probably the greatest 100m race in decades. I cannot think of any olympic or worlds where their was nothing to choose between 5 sprinters, it was that close. It was as competitive as it could get.

The time did'nt matter, but it was still a highly commendable 9.85.
Obikwelu (I picked him for 3rd/4rth) ran a new european record of 9.86. Maybe changing vests broke the nigerian jinx.

Credit to greene for taking the bronze. He was 90 % the printer he was, and it seems that he and powell got caught up in the pre-race hype.

Gatlin ran his race, got a great start and held on from the fast finishing obikwelu.

These guys will meet again in the 200m with bolt and williams, so plenty to look forward to.

Well done gatlin Thumbs Up
USGOLD2004
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Gatlin, is the next great sprinter. I wouldn't be surprised to see him with two other golds in his future, not to mention a World Record.

I didn't see Obikwelu, medalling, but he proved me wrong.

I think it is interesting that Maurice ran the same time as he did in Sydney, but came only in 3rd place. It seems like sprinters are getting somewhat faster.

That is insane, that has to be one of the greatest 100m ever.

And not to mention Crawford running 9.89, and coming in 4th, you have to tip your hat to him, he came close.

I just can't wait to tape it.

Jason
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mo has nothing to feel bad about ... I think his place in history is secure ... And as Jason said he ran as fast here as he did to win in Sydney so he lost nothing in between ...

And also note that Mo has run sub 9.90 in every final he has run in World and Olympic competition ... No one can say that ...

As for the others, glad it was Gatlin that won it ... He is a deserving champion ... And will hold the mantel well ... I tip him as 200 favorite right now ... Crawford has only one speed ... And he runs himself down during the rounds ... He will not win the deuce ... The one that everyone needs to watch out for is Obikwelu ... If he is sub 9.90 right now then his deuce is going to be scarry ... I think he and Gat are going to have quite the race in the 200 ...

And look out for the relay ... 3 guys at 9.8 for the US ... On a good day they could go under 37 but don't tell anyone I said that ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Powell run out of the medals...I can't say I'm suprised...After seeing his impressive perfs. in the preliminaries, I defintely thought he would medal, but at the startline he was just TOO nervous..

I was thinking the exact same thing. First time he had that look on his face. I'm sure he and his coaches learned an important lesson.

Other than Gatlin's rough patch last year, he's proven himself to be as much of a competitor and winner in his short college/pro career as any sprinter we've ever seen. Seems he can run with anyone when his start is on, as it was today and in his Indoor 60m win last year. That seems to be the one inconsistency that makes him tough to figure from meet to meet, though.

Anyone know what happened to Zakari? I was so busy trying to visually separate the mass of bodies in the middle lanes, I didn't even notice him pull up. Sure could've used his fantasy points...

Definitely a faster overall race than I expected, but at least I was right about Collins sticking his nose in the final. Smile

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the Olympic 100 final truly was a great one.

I wonder what the 200 will be like??? I mean Crawford, although happy for his training partner to have snapped up the gold, but he will be seething that he didn't medal last nite...that could lead to some fireworks in the duece...that would finally bring the duece back the respect that it deserves...Gatlin also has a great chance to snap-up the elusive 'sprint double', the time is right and he has a good chance as he's ever gonna get so I would go for it...Could Obik cause yet another upset in the duece? Prehaps he could emulate a performance that could match his mysterious 19.84 in Sevilla 5 years ago...

I thought that the games were missing something ealier on this week...but after Bekele's 10k perf. and also after yesterday's performances...NOW it feels like the Olympics...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are looking at another wide open race. I am particularly interested in seeing Bolt race for the first time.

The mental outlook is always a big factor. Will Gatlin still be buzzing from his win, will crawford be out to prove a point, or will obikwelu feel supremely confident from his performance yesterday.

Stay tuned !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: