Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
US 100m Team

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USGOLD2004

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: US 100m Team Reply with quote

USA 100m - Greene, Gatlin, Crawford

Hey everybody, its Jason, from way back.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good squad.

Where ya been? Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you think of the squad ?????
USGOLD2004
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: US 100m Team Reply with quote

I've been playing baseball and basketball, you know getting around.

I think the team is going to do well in Athens. I'm hoping for MO to win gold. And Gatlin will also do well, as the same with Crawford. But I think Darrel Brown (Trinidad) is going to break out, and do extremely well. And Asafa Powell (Jamaica), who has the 2nd best time (tied with MO), will also do well. Its going to be a good 100m field. I really think if Usain Bolt isn't running the 100 and only the 200, he should. He is still only 17. And has run 19.93!

So Athens is going to be quite interesting.

Jason
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason. Nice to have you back.

I agree that Bolt is a contender, but he has to get his injury problems sorted out before the games. He has had several injuries this season, and the latest of them is a slight tear in his hamstring. It was revealed by an MRI scan. I hope he can pull together for the Olympics (that is if he get selected. Because he didn't attend the Jamaican trials, due to injury, the 3rd place spot on the team for the Men's 200m is a toss up between him and Asafa Powell), but he has already missed 2 or 3 meetings this season through injury, and things don't look good. Maybe he has a weakness or something, which could possibly attribute to his reoccurring problems.

http://www.iaaf.org/WJC04/news/Kind=2/newsId=25962.html

The article says that he is still growing! Gezz, he's already 6ft 5in, he's gonna be a monster when he's finished fully developing!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unfortunate. I was really looking forward to what he could do on the big stage this year.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is going to be one of the great Games as far as the sprints are concerned ...

Unfortunately I don't think Bolt is going to be a factor this year ... Injuries seem to have cut his season short ... Still time for him to come back .. But that would be an aweful lot of stress on him ... Too bad as I thought he could be in the 19.8x range this year ...

But there will still be plenty of speed in the deuce ... I think Asafa may get under 20.00 ... And I also think Mullings has sub 20 potential ...

And the 100 is going to be HOT this time around !!!! I'm not sure anyone else is going to get into sub 10 category - maybe Mullings ... But with a top 4 of Greene, Gatlin, Crawford, and Powell the event really couldn't stand too much more heat !!!

I give an ever so slight edge to Greene ... And that is only because of his experience and his proven ability to win when it counts ... But right now this group of 4 is so close that I am already getting excited about what that race is going to be like !!!

I'm also intrigued about the women's 100 ... Colander, Edwards, and Williams are all mid 10.90 performers ... Throw in Arron who appears to be ready to shine once again ... And the interesting Lalova from Bulgaria ... And that race has potential ...

Gonna be a great Games from a sprinting stand point ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim Collins and Darrel Brown have to at least be considered Finals factors.

Dan
USGOLD2004
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: 100m Reply with quote

Definitely Darrel Brown, but I've heard he also has been injured, but nonetheless he will be a major factor, hes only 19. I believe he will dip into 9.9x.

Jason
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put Collins in the same basket with Darren Campbell - they'll be in the final ONLY if several others falter along the way ...

I like Darrell Brown, but have heard he is still having injury problems ... If so that puts him out ... Everyone will have to be at their best this year ...

And I assume that by now ya'll have heard about Torrie Edwards positive test from the Martinique meet !!! Sad state of affairs .... Sad
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I don't follow the news...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unfortunately I have to daily ... Between the TV and the net I'm immersed in it from bout 5am or so til mid afternoon - and beyond ...

I'm just about ready to say screw it ... I love the sport ... And will always follow it ... But I'm about ready to say that few in the sport are clean ... And that is a sad state of affairs ...

I've been hangin out with some folks who are competing and they assure me that they are clean ... But that is a small percentage of folks ... And so far only the Florida crew have NOT been touched by the drug scandal ... First Trevors folk (or former folk) ... Now HSI is touched ...

Top 3 women in last year's Worlds 200 have all had positive tests ... Top 2 in the 100 ... Sad, sad state of affairs ... If I didn't want to see Jeremy Wariner win the quarter later I'd just stay home ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I'm about ready to say that few in the sport are clean ...

I've been saying that all along -- long before BALCO was a household name -- and it's exactly why I've been so against the crackdown. Your response of near resignation is precisely what I've seen as the unavoidable conclusion of this plan of attack. I just wish the heads of the sport had seen it before it's too late, which I believe it now is.

Having said that, I can still watch the athletes compete with about the same level of enjoyment, largely because to me, drugs are so prevalent that they've been a non-issue for as long as I can remember.

HSI being touched by the scandal is somewhat ironic... I mentioned to Paul a month or two back that I wouldn't be surprised to see just that happen, and I alluded to it here just recently. Charlie Francis surfaced in Graham's circle in NC and had various clinics there. He then turns up in a post-Graham BALCO circle of ex-Graham athletes. The one other place he surfaced regularly professionally was LA for other clinics. Big pool of elite athletes there to make use of his services... I've long been a believer that the people most outspoken against something are most likely to be guilty of it themselves (thus my disbelief in Radcliffe's innocence), and the HSI camp has been more vehemently outspoken against Francis over the years than any other group. It was my impression that could very well be a smokescreen, with Francis being the type to happily be publicly villified and privately do his job that no one's better at. Who, other than me, would suspect people of working together that claim to hate each other???

Crazy world we've created.

Dan
USGOLD2004
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: 100m Reply with quote

I really think Coby Miller should have made the US 100m team, I mean he ran sub-10 (barely 9.99), but still, that should be enough to go to Athens. I don't think there is an Olympic "A" standard, but it should be 9.99 and lower. Because I pretty much know that not everyone in the 100m final will run a sub-10 100, that would be the most uncredible race ever. But there is always a chance.

Jason
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I agree that the best athletes should represent regardless of number per country, I disagree with the reasoning that we'd see a super final by putting more sub-10 guys in. I always come back to the mystical law of averages... Put 8 sub-10 guys in a race and only 3-4 will dip under. 2-3 will be just over, and the other 1-2 will have their worst races of the year. Never fails.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: