Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Coaches Corner
Make 'em believe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Make 'em believe Reply with quote

I was watching Coach Carter tonight and thinking about how much luck is involved in saying the right thing at the right time, and not having it blow up in your face if the call turns out wrong. Then I thought all the way back to this afternoon and a workout I had a kid do. Frosh going on soph, multi-event, multi-sport athlete that lacks conditioning, technique, and experience... 100m PR of 12.3. I had him do 6x100m relaxation work, i.e. not running the whole distance hard. First one was clocked in 14.1, after which I gave him additional instruction on holding speed through the first "float" zone. I told him we'd get down under 13 by the end of the workout, but I don't think he fully bought it. Came back in 13.75, but didn't get the second float zone right. I pointed it out and told him he'd hit 13.4 with that adjustment, and sure enough he ran 13.45. Showed him the time and he shook his head and laughed. Told him to do the same thing but focus on the hard segments this time, and he turned in a 13.1. Made a couple more small tweaks and told him to finish it off with two sub-13's, and he pulled off 12.99 and 13.01. By that point, I think he'd of done the workout a second time through if I told him to...

Anyone else have similar experiences where you can seemingly do no wrong and you see that light bulb come on?

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Great!!!! Very Happy

You now have an athlete that will really listen and pay attention to anything you say.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that buys you a few screw-ups in the Get Out of Jail Free buffer zone. Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: