Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Outdoors 2004 ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Gatlin peaked too early so much as he ran himself into the ground at the Trials. Probably feeling some pressure to get back on the circuit and make some money, but I think more down time would've been in order.

Dan
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be true, but it reminds of the dilemma of calvin smith , who use to peak too late and was never at his best until after the us trials or us champs but was in flying force by the time the european circuit was in full swing.

As you know the time difference between the trials and the games has always been a controversial issue.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd make Powell a slight favorite or co-favorite with Greene ... Excellent race (I watched a video of it) ... Greene wasn't particularly sharp and Powell was just solid and smooth throughout ... Powell doen't seem to have a lot of flaws and is very smooth with a nice long stride ... Will be hard to beat ...

Note .. In his final race before Edmonton (his last major win) Greene ran 9.98 in of all places London ... So not impossible for him to come back with an outstanding performance in Athens ...

I still don't see Crawford as the one to beat either of these guys ... Yeah in a one off race here and there, but I still feel these two are the one's to beat in the Games ...

As for our quartrermilers, I think we are fine ... Brew was under raced coming into the Trials and is catching up now ... A couple weeks rest before the Games and he'll be fine ... And I'm thinking we may not even see Wariner ... He's had a long season and can use the rest ... And as I've said before he has a great coach and a great training partner ... He gets better comp in practice than a lot of guys get in meets ... And I wold imagine Obra is resting a bit too - though he was a little under raced too .. Believe it or not I see two medals in the 400 at the Games ...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The american quartermilers may well be laying low and preparing for the games, but this year we haven,t had outstanding performers who jump out of the early season stats such that u can say these guys look good.

Looking back , we had johnson in 1996,2000, need we say more, in 1992 was lewis and watts although the trials champ everett (pb 43.81) got injured, in 1988, probably the best since 1968 with reynolds, lewis and everett and so on and so on.

I guess MJ has left such a big void, the expectations might be too high but in the same breath the world class talent just doesn,t seem to be there this year.
Tyree washington unfortunately hasn,t been able to reach the heights we expected, and young is clouded with a drug scandal.

If you think about it, the veteran pettigrew was the only consistent performer since Mj,s retirement and i believe he retired last year, not that i am saying their was much left in those old legs anymore.
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just pondering over Ana Guevera's chances of olympic glory this year in the women's 400m. And I just found a report on her and what she has been doing this year on the IAAF website.

Does anyone think she has a realistic chance of winnign this year's 400m OG title? She certainly looked set to do it after he performances within the last 2 years. But Tonique Williams has been runnign great this year, and is currently undefeated. I hope Ana can do what needs to, as I have been rooting for since the 2001 ED WC...
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Women's 400 should be one of the best competitions during the games ... Can Guevara win ??? yeah ... But I have a feeling that she won't ... Williams has just been too strong this year ... I see this race going sub 49 ... And if they are battling each other down the stretch it could go mid 48 ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: