Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Outdoors 2004 ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greene won his 100m race in Osaka running 10.04s, to beat JJ Johnson (10.11s) and Mickey Grimes (10.14s), for a USA clean sweep...good result...

Well, as for Liu Xiang running 13.06s into a -1.2m/s headwind!!! What can you say really??? He is a talent, beating AJ in the process, who ran a respectable 13.13s, but says that he (Xiang) hurt his knee in the warm-up...Still hope that AJ can get it right for the OG this year...maybe AJ's last OG, whereas if Liu can keep his head he could win easily in fron of a home crowd in 2008 in Beijing...

IAAF.org - Report:
http://www.iaaf.org/GP04/news/Kind=2/newsId=25183.html

Alleyne Francique ran an encouraging 400m winning with 44.47s...Tyree Washington DNF, hope that doesn't affect the rest of his season, I always thought he would be the heir to MJ's 400m crown...Jerome Young could only run 45.59s for a 4th place finish...could it possibly be the drugs scandal getting to him??? After all we are only human, could be affecting him inside...

Full results from Osaka:
http://www.iaaf.org/GP04/results/eventCode=3164/index.html

At the Kingston meet, Marion Jones won her 100m and Long Jump events against some not-so-strong opposition, but she seems to be on the road back to the Olympic Games...on the other hand, Tim Montgo could only finish in 4th place (with Darvis Patton winning in 10.12s)...not good for him, considering he ran 10.07s to win in Martinque a fortnight ago...

Report from Kingston meet:
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/html/20040508T000000-0500_59553_OBS_JONES__PATTON_LAND_SPRINTS.asp

Good weekend of races...although still early on in the season, seems like this Olympic year is going to be a good one...
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones seems to be coming along, but she also said the conditions were near perfect. It would have been nice to see a sub 11.

Greene is serious this year and is going to do what it takes to make the team. I am truly hoping for a great 4x100 relay effort by the USA squad. I hope he shows up in Oregon for the two GP meets. I assume he would be here for the Adidas Meet on June 3rd. But there is two weeks between that one and Pre, where there has usually been just one. Weather here has been unbelievable, but anything can happen in May and June in the Northwest.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are slowly beginning to shape up ... Jones did have near perfectr conditions it was said and the competition was light ... but 11.04 is 11.04 ... What I am curious to see is her conditioning, because it is said that is how fast she went out in her 200 that she lost ... So curious to see how she would handle some rounds and how she would do over 200 or 400 ... As for her long jumping, I still think she is far behind her speed ... So her technique undoubtably needs more work ...

Greene seems to be getting into a groove ... Although I was actually disappointed with his time ... His first race indicated sub 10 readiness and Osaka has a very fast track ... So expected him to at least dip under 10 ... But so far he has two races faster than anyone else has run so I'm sure he is pleased ...

Phillips looks like he is on his way to a 28 foot season ... His speed is sharp and his jumping is too ... He looked pretty good in Modesto ...

Francique hit a big PR this weekend ... Will see if he has peaked or if there is more on the way ... My favorite right now in the quarter is Wariner out of Baylor ... Watched the Big 12 this weekend a few times ... He is smooth, smooth, smooth ... Very solid technique ... Runs his race ... And strong at the end ... No break downs in his race ... Right now he is my Trials favorite ...
tyerman

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Forgot someone? Reply with quote

I was just curious as to why no one was talking about Justin Gatlin. I think he is a great 100 runner. I didnt see any mention of him. DOnt get me wrong I think Mo is still a great runner but I thought from what I had seen Gatlin do in Europe the past 2 years that he has a great shot at gold in Athens. IS he hurt or something?
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatlin is fine ... He's run 20.21 in the 200 so far ... Was supposed to run at Mt SAC but didn't ... And I believe he is scheduled to run this weekend or next ...

I like Gatlin and think he has much potential ... Just really haven't seen where he is so far this season ... 20.21 indicates good form and condition ... But the 100 is going to be very deep this year ... Gonna take a strong series of runs to make the team ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt Gatlin was the best all around sprinter last year. The drug snafu and injury set him back, but he was still among the best. If he's healthy this year, I certainly wouldn't count him out.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you saw the Doha results but Crawford smoked him today 9.86w to 9.95w ... I do like Gatlins chances, but wouldn't make him a frontrunner yet in either race ... Just too much depth this year ... Too much quality depth ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9.95 isn't bad if it's a precursor of things to come. With Crawford, a somewhat early season fast time often means nothing at all... Rolling Eyes

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm less impressed with Crawford's time as I am with the field he beat and how well he beat it ... That coming on the heals of his indoor finish have me thinking he may have turned the corner ... But as you say the key to Crawaford is consistency - something he hasn't had ... So we will have to wait and see how his next couple of races turn out ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's turned the corner so many times now, I think he's lapped himself several times over. Neutral

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL ... Crawford is interesting in that he really does have tremendous potential ... And from what I know he has never really trained ... Now he is with a group that asks him to do that ... And with another athlete (Gatlin) that we know is dedicated to the sport ... maybe it's working !!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I can give him the benefit of the doubt...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note I said "maybe" ... I'm still on the edge too ... You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink ... As in you don't change the basics of a person ... Montgomery is proof of that ... You are who you are ... But Crawford has looked real good at times this year ... Maybe the new environment has been good for him ...

One thing is for certain though and that is that the sprints are going to be HOT !!! Just saw the results of the PAC 10 and now AzSt has its own pair of 44's Banda (44.58 ) and Barton (44.82) ... And Wes Felix is down to 10.27 and 20.43 ...

So its clear that Olympic year magic is in the air ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how cyclical these things are. The past 2-3 years looked like we may see another sub-45 again.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the same meet:

Official Result Women - 200m Wind:+0.6m/s
Pos Athlete Nat Mark
1 Colander LaTasha USA 22.50
2 Gaines Chryste USA 23.28
3 Tirlea-Manolache Ionela ROM 23.32 4 Amertil Christine BAH 23.36
5 Safronnikova Natalya BLR 23.38
6 White Kelli USA 23.42
7 Bikar Alenka SLO 23.43
8 Dharsha K.V.Damayanthi SRI 24.39

I didn't realize Gaines and White were cleared.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: