Distance Den
Thoughts, Advice, Opinions...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a lot. By all means, count your warmup and cooldown mileage. I would hang in the high 50's, low 60's for a few weeks to let your body acclimate to it. Sure is different from cross country, isn't it. You may not be able to skip cross country next year, you are going to be in such stunning shape! Thumbs Up One of the keys is to make sure you get a sufficient amount of carbs into your body in two hours after any run over 8 miles. Will, ship me your email by private message and I'll send you some articles and PDF files to look over.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Ok, so last week has sufficient mileage to justify close to this week's total (still pushing it by ~5 miles), but the bigger question becomes what you did leading up to last week. If that was the big jump, then you should be either maintaining or cutting back slightly this week, not increasing another 20%.

Dan

Let's see, the week before is when I had my race. I did 9 that day and averaged about 6 for the rest of the week for about 45. That means I increased by around 15%. Would it be too much to increase another 18% or so after just doing 15%? I keep hearing about the '10% rule', but thought what I was doing would be ok.

graeme wrote:
Make sure to increase mileage gradually... and most people say that your long run should be around 25% of the week's total. So if you were doing 60 miles, the long one could be 15, with an average of 7.5 the rest of the week.

Yeah, I plan to stay around 60 for two weeks then move up about four mpw until I'm in the low 70s. I've heard anywhere from 18-28% of the weekly mileage should be in the long run. I think it'd be hard to do 25% around 80 mpw. Having to do a 20 miler every Saturday would intimidate me.

Paul wrote:
You may not be able to skip cross country next year

What do you mean by that?
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I tend to believe in the Lydiard philosophy. I know Dan isn't really into the long slow stuff, but it's worked so far for me. My recovery run today went up a pretty steep hill I usually have trouble with, but today it wasn't a problem. I guess different things work for different people.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of training plans have you going to every other week for the long run after it hits the 15-20 mile range. I believe it was Jack Daniels that recommended holding any increase in mileage for 3 weeks before increasing again. Just some thoughts.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a firm believer in the 10% rule, but every time I try increasing mileage like what you're talking about, I pay dearly for it...

In my opinion, you're on a emotional high right now from the 10k and possibly a physical high from being couped up during the storm. If that's the case, it's debatable if you should ride it out and take what the training will give you, or if you should back off and not risk overdoing it until things return to normal (whatever that might be; faster, slower, lower mileage, bigger mileage swings during the week, etc.).

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you mean by that?

When you show up at school next Fall, your teammates are going to say, "what the heck have you been doing?", and your answer will be, "oh, about a thousand miles this Summer!"

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless he tips the hat during track. Wink

Dan
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow I'm going to try a Progressive Run. I hope to go about 7 miles easy and pick it up to 10k pace for the next two miles. Then I'll try to pound out another mile at 5k pace. Hope it goes well and I feel strong. Past two days I've done 19.5 miles which is a record for me!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a pretty tough run you've got planned. A solid 9 miler, followed by a third of a race intensity 5k. Good luck!

Dan
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes! I know this are the kind of workout that need to be done if I plan on racing a marathon (and not just "finishing" a marathon).
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always makes me realize how hard I push myself in races when I run at 5 or 10k race pace for 10 minutes or more. It's hard, but you know you can keep going.

Good luck with the run tomorrow Wink
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DF, Paul emailed me an article about Progressive Runs. Did he email you the same one? It sounds like a good concept. Let us know how it goes.
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah Ward wrote:
DF, Paul emailed me an article about Progressive Runs. Did he email you the same one? It sounds like a good concept. Let us know how it goes.

Yeah, that's where I got the idea for them. The article made quite a bit of sense, so I thought I'd give one a try.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to retreat a bit back to Jan 19 to discuss what Dan and Micah might have been implying in their 2 posts and let them respond.
I think what Dan is saying is that while the thought of reaching that last 5-10% fitness level is very appealing, to try to do so in one or two weeks carries a greatly increased risk. You can attain that level over 6-8 weeks, reducing the risk factor by quite a bit. Dan has said before that there are times when one becomes injured that when you go back to look at your training you can't really pin point exactly when the problems occurred. To back off and build back up again, both in terms of mileage and intensity, is the smart thing to do in the long run, instead of just barreling ahead.

Your mileage has more than doubled since cross country. Micah is implying "where do you go from here??". You are doing the kind of training that is done 3 months out from a marathon, not 9 months out. Give your body a chance to adapt to those kinds of mileage levels.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No argument from me.

It's very difficult to predict how training will progress and when injury might strike. It's often just as difficult to look back and figure what went wrong/right. That's why it's important to have a solid plan and stick to it, even when the temptation to go full speed ahead becomes strong.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: