Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Another 2 miler

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fifinella

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Another 2 miler Reply with quote

Just like the other 2-mile posting, I too am training for my 1.5 test. I have been running about 2.5 miles each day, but need some advice please.

I am NOT a good runner and don't do the technical training very well. I pretty much don't understand it...I am just a "casual" runner. I have only used my runs for some cardio in the past. Now I need more speed. Can some one give me some genneral advice?

I know my strides are too short (I am 5'8") and I have to concentrate on my breathing the entire time. Should I run a little longer? Shorter runs that concentrate on speed? Both?

Thanks in advance!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a somewhat tough question to answer due to the way you've structured it. Within the context, the best I can really offer is just get out there and run as much as possible, picking up the pace as much as you can. Anything more specific gets into the technical areas that it sounds like you don't care for too much.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that you are running approx 15 miles a week, anything you can do do extend that mileage will give you good returns in the short term. If you can extend a couple of your workouts to 4 and eventually 5 miles, your VO2 Max will improve, your running economy will improve. Then, if you want to move on to the next step, you can start adding some variety, both speed and distance to you're workouts. Don't hesitate to keep us informed on your 1.5 mile test.
Running can be a lot of fun. People who never saw themselves as runners end up embracing it as their preferred method of fitness training.
Some consider that this site only speaks to those who are committed runners and understand the training language, etc., and there can be a lot of specific training tossed back and forth, but Dan is committed to anyone who logs on and needs some info, whether it be training, injuries, or general fitness.

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I probably speak (or try to, at least) as non-technically about running as any running nut and former coach you'll come across.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no disadvantages in running from being 5' 8". The best marathon runners in the world average less than that for the men and barely over 5 feet for the women.

Paul makes some good points. Get a weekly long run up to the 4-5 mile range and run fast one day a week. The fast run doesn't have to be technical. Just run a 10 minute warm up and then run faster than normal for 10 minutes and finish with another easy 10 minutes to cool down. Some technical people call that a tempo run. Wink

Are you Air Force too? What is the USAF doing for fit testing now...a 2 mile or a 1.5?
fifinella

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Low-tech running Reply with quote

Thank you all!
This is just what I need! Some support and general advice.

I will start doing one longer run each week-4 miles for now, and will try that tempo run. (Look at me! I used a technical term). I will do my tempo run TODAY. And I will run everyday except Sun too.

The AF has a new program as of this year. We are back to a 1.5 mile run, sit ups, push-ups, and measurement of your abdomen at the top of your hip bone. You get points for each of the 4 items and try to get as close to 100 as possible.

Thanks again- I will let you know how I am doing next week!
fifinella

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Still at it Reply with quote

Well, I am still running and steadily getting faster. I am running every weekday morning. Unfortunately it is too cold to run outside, so I am stuck on a treadmill. Any advice on what habits to avoid as I am on the treadmill?

Thank you all , as always!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the biggest one for me is picking my knees up. The treadmill pulls away from you with each step, so it's easy to over-emphasize rear leg extension more than knee lift. Do that out on the roads and you don't go anywhere...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to stay off treadmills if possible...but it's easier to do that where I live. Just try to limit your time on them and get outside when you can.
ajarvis
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Probably the biggest one for me is picking my knees up. The treadmill pulls away from you with each step, so it's easy to over-emphasize rear leg extension more than knee lift. Do that out on the roads and you don't go anywhere...

Dan

I had not realized that (the thought never occured to me Embarassed ) I don't really have the option of running outdoors, Ihave no one to run with and don't feel safe at the times that I run, so how high in general do you lift your knees?

Thanks
Amanda
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so how high in general do you lift your knees?

I'd have no idea how to go about answering that... Too many variables from one person to the next. It's something you just kinda know whether it's right or wrong when you watch someone run.

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want you to help me to pick my two mile time based on my 600 m intervals. Neither I am proud of how slowly I was running, nor because I made very little effort to run faster. I am loosing my motivation Sad . . . I lost excess weight Smile . . .
The times were 2:24, 2:32, 2:36, 2:40, and 2:43. I took 3 minute--breaks.
What time do you think should I aim fora 2 mile run?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specific workouts are good predictors for specific distances. Without that relationship, I can only hazard an extremely rough guess. From those numbers, I assume you can run 2:30 600m pace for a mile, i.e. 1:40 per lap. 3 minute breaks is rather long, though, and makes any extended endurance prediction difficult. That's a 6:40 mile, but it's up to you to figure how that relates to your 2 mile.

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is about how fast I should run as long as I do not leave my cajones in the locker. It has happened to me lately. Too much stress.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: treadmill Reply with quote

[quote="ajarvis"][quote="Dan"]Probably the biggest one for me is picking my knees up. The treadmill pulls away from you with each step, so it's easy to over-emphasize rear leg extension more than knee lift. Do that out on the roads and you don't go anywhere...

Dan[/quote]

I had not realized that (the thought never occured to me Embarassed ) I don't really have the option of running outdoors, Ihave no one to run with and don't feel safe at the times that I run, so how high in general do you lift your knees?

Thanks
Amanda[/quote]

The most common adjustment recommended for treadmill equivalence is increasing the treadmill incline from 0 to 1.5% to compensate for the lack of wind drag indoors. Running on a level treadmill mimics running outdoors with a tailwind equal to your speed over ground. Another, is to run a mildly hilly course on the treadmill because most outdoor courses have some hills. Few treadmills have a downhill option unless you put a 2x4 under the rear feet, so beware of any extended downhills when making the transition to outdoor running.

Although I regularly work out indoors as well as out, I have not experienced that pulling that Dan describes, though this might be a peculiarity of one treadmill design. Medical studies have indicated that treadmills provide a workout comparable to running outdoors, from a health point of view. Competitive runners should run on surfaces that match those on which they race, not just treadmills, especially for races on the roads or trails. Treadmills cushion the footstrike more than pavement and are much more even than trails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: