Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Knee Ice Wraps While Running

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Knee Ice Wraps While Running Reply with quote

Was wondering if there is such a thing as a cold wrap that can be used on the knee while running. My patellar tendinitis is acting up a litlte today, although ice this evening quickly helped relieve the pain. Working on getting away from the antiinflammatories.

Would be interested in knowing if cold application during activity is possible and beneficial.

Thanks,
Mike
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if there is anything of the sort, but if there is, I would strongly recommend against it. Rule of thumb: heat before, ice after. You don't want to ice a joing while it's in use. Think stiff. Not exactly the effect you are after.

If you're experiencing undue pain on your runs, look to the cause of it and what you can do to pre-hab it. Trying to attack the problem during the activity is generally the wrong approach. Think illness vs. symptoms.

Dan
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I don't know if there is anything of the sort, but if there is, I would strongly recommend against it. Rule of thumb: heat before, ice after. You don't want to ice a joing while it's in use. Think stiff. Not exactly the effect you are after.

If you're experiencing undue pain on your runs, look to the cause of it and what you can do to pre-hab it. Trying to attack the problem during the activity is generally the wrong approach. Think illness vs. symptoms.

Dan

I'd mentioned applying heat prior to running with my surgeon during our last visit. He didn't really say much about that.

The problem is tendinitis; doc's suggestion was run on it anyway and that it would eventually go away. Ice after running, and take Vioxx if there's more than a little pain.

When I think of a tendon, I'm not thinking of much circulation. How does heat help painful tendons prior to a run? Definitely all about running as pain free as possible.

Thanks,
Mike
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one way to look at it is, the less circulation there is in an area, the less it needs to be stimulated to magnify the healing effect. People with joint problems tend to experience more pain in cold weather, so I'm assuming there's some causality there.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What heat will do is make the connective tissue more pliable. Another item to consider is your warmup. If you are able to do a 15-20 minute somewhat non-load bearing warmup for your joints, I think you will notice the difference.
Stretching: How much flexibility work have you done since surgery? Work on your quad and hamstring flexibility. If they have tightened up some, they can pull your tendons and ligaments out of their normal paths.
Don't be afraid to slow thing down a bit. Your body is telling you that the Half you ran just a week ago was a little more of a shock than you realized.
Work slowly up to the steady state running. If you were to break down a 5 mile run into, say, 20 400's, at the same pace, with a mere 20-30 sec walk in between, you would still get a lot of the benefits, but would allow your joints to decompress between repeats. As you feel less pain you can increase the length of the repeat, and eventually the speed. My personal feeling is that tendonitis from surgery responds well to work segments with short rest periods until everything is normal. That is just my personal opinion, I can't back that up with any hard data.
Dan is telling you, in my opinion, not to mask the pain. You have to have something to signal you if the pain is getting stronger. Taking an advil or aleve before you head out to just take the edge off would be acceptable, but you want to be able to monitor your body.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, don't be shy about starting a running log here. There are at least half a dozen+ people that are interested in your progression.

mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Mike, don't be shy about starting a running log here. There are at least half a dozen+ people that are interested in your progression.

Paul,

I just started tracking my running this week. Probably need to do a better job telling WHAT I'm doing, too. Honestly, I'd like a coach to help me develop a schedule and then take it from there. I went to the track yesterday with the intention of doing 200m intervals, but found that I was tight and my body felt unbalanced so I headed out to the trails to run.

Not sure if that was the right decision or not. Just wasn't feeling relaxed in my upper body, and everything below the waist felt like lead. (Still getting over that half marathon, perhaps?)

Anyway... I'm taking the advice listed here--just need to integrate everything into an effective training plan to get truly back in the game (17-18 minute 5k runs are probably a reasonable goal over the next few months; the winner at last weekend's 5k did it in 17 and some change--I could have done THAT before surgery!)

Is there a place to post a running log here, or can you recommend a good online log someplace?

Thank you,
Mike
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably wise to not force the "action" so soon after a significantly longer run than you've prepped for. Give your body some time to settle back down after all that pounding before you try extracting speed from it.

Quote:
Is there a place to post a running log here, or can you recommend a good online log someplace?

I believe Paul was referring to starting your own thread in the Rambling Runners forum for reporting (and commenting on) your own training. Several of us have been doing that of late, instead of spreading our running recaps through various threads.

Oh, and register a user account! Smile

Dan
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Probably wise to not force the "action" so soon after a significantly longer run than you've prepped for. Give your body some time to settle back down after all that pounding before you try extracting speed from it.

Quote:

I believe Paul was referring to starting your own thread in the Rambling Runners forum for reporting (and commenting on) your own training. Several of us have been doing that of late, instead of spreading our running recaps through various threads.

Oh, and register a user account! Smile

Dan

Took your suggestion to establish a user account (actually, to USE the one I established awhile back).

Yes, you're right that I'm probably trying to burn things up a little too soon. What else is new? Augh... Yes, I know... I need to behave. <sigh> Being slowed down is SO difficult when you're used to being healthy, fit, and fast.

What's the best run RIGHT NOW? Moderate distance, say 3-4 miles, at a constant/sustainable pace?

Mike
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

Hey, I hear ya. I've done a lot of debating with myself if I can get back to the level I expect to be at. But you spend enough time being injured and pretty soon you realize you have to just take what the body is willing to give. No more, and hopefully no less.

The best run right now is what you can do without pain. Steady pace at moderate intensity and distance is likely to be your best bet over the next week or two.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still consider favoring the short runs with short rest breaks. If you are trail running and have a watch with a timer on it, you could set it for one minute beeps, run 3-5 minutes, then walk a minute, for example. When you start piling one trauma on top of another, you end up taking some serious time off or semi crippled. I've seen this with people who refuse to treat their IT Band problems.

As you encounter less pain, increase the length of the run portion. Before the end of the Winter you will be back to a point where you feel you can push some serious efforts. Give yourself a chance to decompress during these Winter months.

Use some friction massage all around your knee. Dan told me to do this and it works.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self-massage can definitely do a lot of good.

Dan
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
I would still consider favoring the short runs with short rest breaks. If you are trail running and have a watch with a timer on it, you could set it for one minute beeps, run 3-5 minutes, then walk a minute, for example. When you start piling one trauma on top of another, you end up taking some serious time off or semi crippled. I've seen this with people who refuse to treat their IT Band problems.

As you encounter less pain, increase the length of the run portion. Before the end of the Winter you will be back to a point where you feel you can push some serious efforts. Give yourself a chance to decompress during these Winter months.

Use some friction massage all around your knee. Dan told me to do this and it works.

What exactly is friction massage? Simply rubbing the affected area with the thumbs/fingers with moderate pressure?

I'm working on the I-T band stretches my PT suggested. He said yesterday that the patellar tendonitis may very well be linked to I-T pain I've had since surgery. Don't know why, but everyone I've spoken to who has had arthro tells me they've had pain in the I-T band after surgery... I'm no exception.

Thanks,
Mike
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What exactly is friction massage? Simply rubbing the affected area with the thumbs/fingers with moderate pressure?

Yeah, that's the basic idea.

Quote:
Don't know why, but everyone I've spoken to who has had arthro tells me they've had pain in the I-T band after surgery...

I'm going out on a limb a bit here -- I don't know a whole lot about surgery -- but my guess is there's a bit of a mis-diagnosis there. Most "IT Band" problems truly are not tendon related at all, rather an issue of an overly tight muscle crossing the tendon down near the knee attachment point. (If you can get a doctor to tell you this or agree to it, I'll be one amazed dude!) So, I'm thinking something about the surgery implies weakened and/or stiff muscles in the area, which could be causing the common problem.

Dan
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm going out on a limb a bit here -- I don't know a whole lot about surgery -- but my guess is there's a bit of a mis-diagnosis there. Most "IT Band" problems truly are not tendon related at all, rather an issue of an overly tight muscle crossing the tendon down near the knee attachment point. (If you can get a doctor to tell you this or agree to it, I'll be one amazed dude!) So, I'm thinking something about the surgery implies weakened and/or stiff muscles in the area, which could be causing the common problem.

Dan

Maybe not too far out on a limb--you'll probably be amazed. Very Happy This sounds rational to me, and my doctors have hinted at exactly what you've said. After all, part of the goal of PT is to strengthen muscles weakened by surgery. The docs have noted particular stiffness in my leg muscles--definitely a pain in the hiney because I do stretch (but not enough). Used to be, I could run without stretching first--knowing what I know now I'll never do THAT again!

Doing lots of I-T band stretches. 5 to 8 repetitions, holding each for 15-20 seconds. Twice a day. Hopefully that'll help clear this up.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: