Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
Who is currently the best 5000m man?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Who is currently the best 5000m man? Reply with quote

Eluid Kipchoge won the World title last year, Hicham El Guerrouj won the Olympic title, and Kenenisa Bekele holds the world record. Hicham and Kenenisa ranks ahead of Eluid in my opinion as they lost to him last year when they both were doubling back at the Worlds. In the Olympics Kenenisa and Hicham were doubling again and still managed to beat a fresh Eliud. So if all three were to meet in a record attempt at the distance who do you think would win? Which is your pick as the best 5000m man today?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A record attempt would have to be Bekele hands down. ElG's best chance comes when the pace is slow enough to allow his kick to be a major factor, but that won't happen in a record attempt.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Bekele .. I think he is the most talented ... But as ElG himself proved for a decade the most talented person does not always win gold ...
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bekele talent is awesome...I mean the guy can run 12:37 virtually running on his own for the final stages of the race...he has sub-12:30 potential, but I have to agree with Conway about the greatest talent doesn't always win...EL G seems like he can get into 'major mode' almost at will...I've noticed that Bekele is prehaps better suited to fast-paced 5K/10K races, than to 'slow' races which require a huge-kick...as we saw in the 5K final half-way down the home-straight he kinda run-out of kick, and was passed by EL G...I'm sure we'll see more great races between the two over 5K in the future...

I may be dreaming, but I'm sure EL G has mentioned something about moving up to the 10K later on in his T&F career...
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bekele has a huge kick for or 5/10k runner if you ask me. But that means nothing against the 1500m world record holder. I'm actually really curious to see how ElG would fare in a faster race and what kind of time he's capable of. But I'm sure well find out next season.

And ElG in the 10? That sounds so weird, but it could happen I guess. If he could be successful at that he'd have one hell of a legacy.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys all changed the question... It wasn't about who would win in a championship, sit and kick format, rather who would win in a record attempt. Totally different scenarios, and I dare say ElG would be dropped with 3-4 laps to go. His kick would be a non-factor.

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
You guys all changed the question... It wasn't about who would win in a championship, sit and kick format, rather who would win in a record attempt.

Ok then...in my opinion Bekele is the best.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's still tactics in a record attempt. If you have more than one person actually going for the record, and not rabbiting, then one of them will have to lead at some point while the other(s) follow, so a finishing kick still could be important. So basically what I was saying is that I have no idea based on the fact that I've never seen ElG do anything but championship races. Would probably lean toward Bekele though.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's still tactics in a record attempt. If you have more than one person actually going for the record, and not rabbiting

Record attempts will pretty much always be rabbited for the first half of the race, at which point the top athletes have presumably settled into a maintainable rhythm -- Bekele has shown the ability to increase the pace after his rabbits drop out.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Graeme about Bekele's kick speed. And I think Dan is correct. I don't think you'll see any sub 12:35 5K's without a rabbit covering the first 3200 in sub 8:10.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, somebody still has to lead after the rabbit drops out. I know it makes less of a difference at that point, but it's still a factor. And that's true, Bekele has shown an incredible ability to run on his own after the rabbit drops out.
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Danger new talent emerges Reply with quote

Bekele is the new king of the 5000m and 10000m but over the last two years I've watched an athlete many of you come to know in 2004. The kid that I fear my give Kenenisa more than he want if the youngster stay in the sport is Augustine Choge. I speak to his manager (also manages Stephen Cherone-WR steeple, Dorcus Inziruk) on occassion and the teenager will attempt to add the 5000m WJR to his amazing 3000m WJR already in 2005. Augustine has sub 1:48.5 speed at age 16, 3:33.9 in 2005 and sub 29:30 at age 15 at altitude).
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty scary. Does his manager seem to believe the age is accurate?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I have to say that I would have to vote for Bekele as the best ... At least if we are talking record breaking ability ... I still think that ElG knows how to race best and may be best equipped to beat him in that type of situation ...

As for the kid that has been mentioned ... Age is certainly a factor ... Hard for me to believe that any 15year old is capable of doing those things ... Not impossible, but man how many adults have trouble reaching those levels ....
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and how many in this country?

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: