Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Stress Fractures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
really miffed runner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Stress Fractures Reply with quote

I'm training for my first marathon. OK, I WAS training for my first marathon... I am a triathlete, I decided I wanted to finish an Ironman, but decided I should perhaps just try the marathon part first. Things were going quite well. I was LOVING my runs and was shooting for a qualifying time for Boston. A few weeks ago, running downhill I had a sharp pain in my left foot each time it hit the ground. I was worried enough that I went to see a good friend, who is also my doctor. The pain hadn't come back, just a dull ache here and there (I ran 8, 10, 17 milers) before getting negative X-rays back. I had no point specific pain in my foot, but just to be 'safe' he sent me in for a bone scan. Sure enough, third metatarsal stress fracture. I've been in a walking boot for just over two weeks. I've put in a few easy runs (the longest being 10, but most are 4-5). I'm in a bind. Of course I've heard ALL of the horror stories. This isn't macho running through the pain. I'm a tough woman, but not THAT tough. The problem is, this thing really doesn't hurt that much and I still want to run my marathon in 9 weeks. Can anyone out there help me? Has this happened to anyone? Has anyone ran through a stress fracture and NOT wound up in surgery???? Sad
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, DO NOT try running through a known stress fracture. You'll just injure it worse and probably make it a chronic injury. Best case scenario is you limp through your race in 9 weeks and are very unhappy with the results. Worst case scenario is much worse...

Injuries are a fact of life with running. You have to accept that when injury strikes and just make the best of it. In your case, that means doing what you can to fully rehab as quickly as possible, then resume training and see if you have enough time to get back into good enough shape for your goal race. Approaching it any other way will ensure very poor results.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Dan said and then some!!!

I know exactly the state you are in now because I have had 3 stress fractures. Every one of them caused me to miss specific races that I had been aiming for. The said fact is there is nothing you can do but rest and let that thing heal. If you try to rush it or run though it you can end up in worse shape than you are in now.

Of course this is not what you want to hear but it is the truth. Stay active with cross training and have patience. It will heal but it takes time. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: