Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Fastest 10m Split in the Near Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's take things a step further and assume for the sake of argument that Mo really did run a 5m segment in 0.37 seconds. That tells us that in order to run that fast, he had to run significantly slower the preceeding and following 5m segments. In other words, he has not demonstrated the ability to run that fast over 10m, because the very example you're drawing the possibility from refutes that it can be done.

MJ ran the 200m well under 20 seconds, but no one dared suggest he could run the 400m in 38.x. Every race is about resource management. Maybe some day someone will be able to string together some mid 0.3's, but there's no evidence in front of us at this time that it is humanly possible.

Dan
MiamiD J30
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be right about that,
But when Greene supposedly ran the first 5m of the 10m split at 60m, he was hitting his top speed so, it might be possible. He was accelerating, to his top speed, so its possible, and after he achieved his top speed.

If it were 100m, he would have slowed down a little, because he was becoming tired. So I think that it may be an accurate measurement.

Jason
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, you're talking about nearly +/- 0.10 -- a tenth of a second difference is HUGE over 100m, let alone 5m! Question the splits, not the conclusions...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
That's actually X-King you're agreeing with, not me. I didn't chime in on the subject. Smile

Conway, you might know the answer to this, given your historical knowledge. Prior to the past 5-10 years where we've seen sub 9.90 become the standard of excellence, was it common for top times to really fry the athletes? It would seem the Mo's, Tim's, Ato's, and Dwain's of the world are really having to go to the well to hit these marks, which would support the notion that the top speed potential has been pretty well maxed out and improvements from here on out will be less pronounced (mostly reaction time, initial acceleration, and speed maintenance).

And yes, it will be interesting to see how my law of averages theory holds... The same can be seen within most races. If you have 8 sub-10 guys in a final, 2-3 will run great, 3-4 won't sniff 10.00, and 1-2 will fall off the back of the turnip truck. Neutral Tokyo '91 was one of the very few exceptions, as was this year's final but in a much slower context.

Dan

Prior to 9.90 being broken athletes seemed to continue to run right around or nearer their PR's ... A sprinter like James Sanford or Stanley Floyd was fine once they PR'd in the low 10.0x's for example and could continue to run in that range (note this was when the WR was 9.95 and the sea level best was Sanford's 10.02) ... Running within .10 of one's PR at that time was common place ... And athletes seemed to compete more as well ... Through the 80's even guys like Carl Lewis, Ben Johnson, Calvin Smith, Ron Brown, and others continued to run within .10 of their PR's ... And they too continued to compete more than now ...

It wasn't until 9.90 that suddenly there was a separation between PRs, and competing ... 9.86 wiped out Lewis who never broke 10.00 again ... likewise 9.88 and 9.85 for Burrell ... Burrell had trouble breaking 10.00 after he hit 9.88 .. couple years later got back and hit 9.85 and then poof ... Similar for Christie - twice under 10.00 after his 9.87 then poof .. Same for Surin after his 9.84 ... And nearly the same for Bailey after his 9.84 - he did manage a 9.93 adn 2 9.91's before dropping waaaay off ...

Of course we have the abnormal ones - Greene, Boldon, and Fredericks ... Guys who have rewritten the all time lists ... Althoough the end result for each has seemed to be inuries at the end ...
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of 5m splits ... I think you might find an abnormally fast split in an indoor sprint ... Some ofthe guys with slower starts who make up incredible amounts of space towards the end of a 60 might hit an extrememly fast 5 meters somewhere along the way .. But that would be a momentary thing and unsustainable - sort of a "straining acceleration" moment ... We all know that the fastest races come from sustained speed ... Fast sprinting is actually rather rhythmic in nature ... It is not spurting in nature ...

Lewis, Marsh, Burrell and company increased speed by learning to spread out the effort during the race ... Boldon, Greene, Drummond and company added sustained acceleration to the mix and improved upon the previous model ... Not sure what is next ..

Last edited by Conway on Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"lstraiing acceleration"

My word jumble skills are a bit rusty... Wink

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need more practice ... It has been fixed ... Was saying "straining acceleration" ... Embarassed
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. I was thinking trailing or lasting, but neither made much sense.

Dan
MiamiD J30
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway, to me, I don't think that even if Greene had a slow start, everyone is accelerating, and he was reaching his top speed there. Even if he had a quicker start (which definitely he has), he would have reached that time in a previous 5m, so nevertheless, most likely he did do this.
I'm having X-King to do a very detailed analysis of this race, to make sure that the split times are correct, and he is doing the whole race in 5m splits.

If anyone has a website where, I can contact a professional, that measures split times, please give it to me.

Thanks,
Jason
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you misunderstood me Jason ... I do believe that a split of that nature is possible ... I just don't think it possible to string to gether a succession of them in a race ...

I remember watching the race when Mo set the record ... He was really pushing the envelope to get it ... So that split probably occured (or something very close to it) ... But that is my point ... He really pushed the envelope over the shorter distance ... Adding 40 meters more would be nearly impossible to sustain ... Thus making it difficult to string a series of those splits together ...

In order to do so wouldl require more strength .. However, additional strength would require more bulk (having watched the likes of Mo and Ato and Dwain and Tim over the past few years) ... And the bulk reduces the elasticity and fluidity of the performance ... So I am wondering if we are truly near the limit in the 100 ?!?!?
MiamiD J30
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I did misunderstand what you were saying.
And now that I do understand I totally agree with you.
Since the top speed only can be maintained for about 5m, I think that 55m is where Greene reaches his top speed. And that is where the 0.37s occured. And since it was only a 60m race, he might have slowed down the last 5m of the race.

If it were 100m in that race he probably would have made the last 5m about 0.43s instead of 0.46. I believe that he would've done this.

And since this is probably Maurice's last yea in his prime, I would expect for him to break the WR.

Jason
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go on record here saying I do not believe it is possible to derive accurate 5m splits from video analysis unless the race was set up for it in the first place (which none are, as far as I know). Too small/fast of an increment to ensure proper camera angles. If you're guessing where the 5m marks are on the track, let alone when the camera and athlete angles line up on that imaginary plane, you'll be lucky to get accuracy within 0.05. Even that is asking a lot, and it's well into the realm of significant percentage error.

The only real chance of getting meaningful numbers is to have photofinish equipment set up every 5m on the track with lines painted across all the lanes for each segment, at an equipment cost of well over $100k. You might be able to work with one of those track level "rabbit" cams, but those rarely show you the track itself. So, what we've got here is entertainment value, not valid statistics. Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's just the way it is. Take your case before any T&F statistician and they'll tell you the same thing.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since the top speed only can be maintained for about 5m, I think that 55m is where Greene reaches his top speed. And that is where the 0.37s occured. And since it was only a 60m race, he might have slowed down the last 5m of the race.

Top speeds in a 100m are normally reached at 60-70m, not 55m. It doesn't follow that he would have slowed up a full tenth of a second the last 5m of his 60m when he would normally still be accelerating for a race nearly twice the distance.

Please, please, please, stop taking the 0.37 number as fact and question the overall picture. The pieces of the puzzle do not fit together.

Quote:
If it were 100m in that race he probably would have made the last 5m about 0.43s instead of 0.46. I believe that he would've done this.

That makes no sense. He would have closed faster due to running longer? Confused

Dan
MiamiD J30
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time, you find the fastest split time, in the 50-60m range.

And it slows up about 0.01-0.03s in the 60-70m range. Smile

Jason
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm withdrawing from this discussion and all related ones. We're obviously not speaking on the same level.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: