Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
smoking = bad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dancingqueen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: smoking = bad Reply with quote

Hey guys...anti-smoker, here, and wondering what you guys think of the subject (hoping must of you feel the same way, hehe)...Anyway, was recently on the new truth site, whudafxup, and thought it was a really good attempt to get the message across to youngsters! What are everyone else's thoughts?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very anti-smoking, myself. What sort of thoughts are you looking for?

Dan
dancingqueen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont' know...thoughts in general I guess. I have a bunch of friends that smoke, and to each his own, even though I am pretty vocal in my desire for them to stop. I think the truth site is really great (and I saw some commercials on MTV last night that point people to the site, too) because it does target a younger audience. It's so important to make an impact on people as early as possible, which I think is what the site attempts to do.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad always smokes and when I'm in the car, I always have to suffocate myself by breathing through my sleeves. Sometimes when I come home from running, the whole place smells like smoke. He smokes out on the balcony but I guess the wind blows it back in. Now if you want to know how dangerous smoking is...well I have a story for that.

My dad was about to drive me to a huge park so I can do my 22 mile run and before we headed out, he wanted to smoke a cigarette. After he smoked it, he all of a sudden said that he wasn't feeling well as if he was nauseous. Well a few minutes later, it got so bad that he told my mom to call the ambulance and they came just in time. He had SVT which is the stage right before someone gets a heart attack. He got lucky because they injected him with a chemical that I forgot about that stops the heart from beating for a moment. His pulse went up in the 270s. If he did have the heart attack, there was a good chance that he could also remain paralyzed. When you're about to have a heart attack, you're basically not getting any oxygen because the blood isn't oxygenating anymore as it travels through the heart. That oxygen debt basically kills brain cells which can cause paralysis in certain parts of the body. On top of that, the heart also takes permanent damage on a portion of the cardiac muscle that will never rebuild itself. His cholesterol is good and surprisingly he doesn't suffer from lung cancer or emphysema after smoking for 50 some years. When we were at the hospital, the cardiologist said that the smoking caused him immediately to be put on the path for a heart attack. He smokes so much that the chemicals actually starve the actual blood of its oxygen. After he got back, he didn't smoke for some 2 weeks and his blood returned to normal. He started to smoke a little bit everyday to "slowly get rid of the addiction" instead of drastically stopping it. Now he basically relapsed and he only smokes cigars. He smokes the same cigar for about 3 times before he finishes it off. He started smoking at around 17 and now he's 61. His teeth are also falling out oftenly due to the smoking. He doesn't chew but the chemicals from the smoke affects the gums. Studies have revelaed that cigarette smoke contains some 4000 chemicals all together.

As for myself, I am incredibly paranoid when it comes to smoking. People can actually get emphysema from second hand smoking. I have a very sensitive nose and smoke makes me feel dizzy and slightly nauseous. Everytime he smokes, I always get a paper towel and dip it in water and then place it over my nose and mouth to reduce the chemical inhalation. Even when you don't smell smoke, the chemicals remain in the atmosphere and I just can't bear the thought of that poison coming into my lungs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
binaxa
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the laws like about smoking cannabis and driving in the Netherlands? Ive smoked a few times and i know i couldnt drive properly after smoking, what are the laws like for smoking and driving over there? Is it the same as drinking and driving?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: