Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
My first 8k-am I training enough?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 1999 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing my first 8k and want to know if I'm training enough for it. I Have been running every other day 4.5 miles and in between days 2 miles. I don't want to be too sore but want to be able to compete.
Also should I drink a sports drink and eat a power bar before the race.
Any advice would be appreciated.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Melissa']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 1999 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Melissa,

Not to alarm you, but I'd recommend some longer runs if you don't want your body to be in shock after 8k. 8,000 meters is almost exactly 5 miles, so you want to be confortable over distances longer than 5 miles. After all, it's natural to try and run faster in a race than in practice. It's good that you're varying the distances between days. That will help you get the most out of your harder workouts.

Sports drinks and power bars are completely optional; don't be pulled in by advertising. I ate power bars before races for years, but I cannot do so anymore due to food allergies. I like sports drinks such as gatorade, but only after running. Before or during gives me quite a side ache.

Best of luck,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 1999 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan,
Good advice. I'm getting there on my distance and I know I need to have longer endurance. I'll see how I fair during the race, if I do. Thanks for reminding me about the drink, I do the same thing if I drink before but as long as I running and drinking I don't get the cramps. Thanks alot, I'm a beginner at this at age 37 but I'll get there.
Melissa

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Melissa']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 1999 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also say that drinking water before or during running doesn't bother me at all, so experiment with that if it's warm enough to get at all dehydrated.

Everyone has to start somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: