Distance Den
Hey all personal results thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in total agreement. Plus, I think McMillan is right about the types of runners that handle intervals well vs those that handle the tempo's and steady state runs well. I bounce back much faster from a hard interval workout than a hard tempo workout.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at your previous post and it reminded me about McMillan, someone I had forgotten about completely. I used to have the results of his pace calculator on my fridge (very useful tool).

I agree that there are the tortoises and the hares, the tortoises being the ones out there running the 100 mile weeks and blowing me away for distance events, and me being a hare running fast in short distances but fatigueing rather easily at distance.

I think I could have run 400's until I dropped to the ground and it would have had less of an impact on my physically than that 13 miles over extreme hills did to me.

What I am hypothesizing though, is that since I already have the ability to handle that speed and its not very challenging, that I should actually focus more on the long tempo sort of stuff for maximal improvement. Proof of this so far is my performance under this system up to now, which focuses on long tempo running, long intervals run at barely submaximal intensity, and as many other miles as you can run.

I think that this program has really taken me and shaken me up and out came a brand new runner because I built a whole new sense of toughness, and I confronted my weakness (long endurance) and basically ran it into the ground at every opportunity.

The negatives: I always feel like I am on the verge of injury/overtraining. Nagging injuries? We got em. Sore legs? We got em. That lingering sense of fatigue? We got it.

But as coach would say: "We love pain and suffering!"
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I am hypothesizing though, is that since I already have the ability to handle that speed and its not very challenging, that I should actually focus more on the long tempo sort of stuff for maximal improvement.

That's always a tough call, play to your strengths or work on your weaknesses? In your case, since you're racing a distance that your strengths are not particularly well geared toward (ditto for me), it makes sense to work on the weaknesses. In shorter events, the balance may be flipped. Lesson to be learned is that no single rule can be applied to everyone in every situation.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, You say you feel like you are always on the verge of injury. That is the paradox of high level training. You have to train hard to get to optimum fitness but at the same time you are on the verge of pushing over into an injury. It's a heck of a tight rope to walk!!!
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres an update on how things have been going.

Well the pain and suffering here finally caught up to me, and I had to bow out of a workout earlier this week due to a strained hamstring, in the area of the buttocks, the upper connection there. That was Monday. Which means I sat out of the home meet on Wednesday, and basically stopped serious training until Sunday, when I ran a workout with very little pain in that area. I am going to take the next two days easy and run at Wooster on Wednesday.

After that, because its the end of my season, I am taking a week easy and starting my base phase for track and field. The rest of the team has another month of season left with Conference, Region, and Nationals upcoming, but I'm done for this year with cross. I might run a turkey trot but thats probably it and I'll definitely train through it.

So things are going well even with the injury. Its been nagging me for a while now and I'm glad I'm finally taking steps to really get it out of the way.

Next year's goal for cross: make the 9th spot on the team for a spot at Conference.

This spring's goal for track: Build mileage... ultimately: Survive.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you were able to ease off before doing any real damage. Quite the improvement you had this season, nice job!

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

____My 6 miles time went down to 54 minutes. However, I am not faster between 50 m and a mile. I lost all the excess weight, but I lost some power as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough to build aerobic and anaerobic ability at the same time. Focus on whichever is most important and then work on the other as appropriate.

Dan
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::Excerpted from my running journal::

Today went really really well. Everything I set out to do, I did, and then some.

Warmup: 3 miles easy getting to know the course and getting a feel for the temperature.

Race: It wasn't quite like a normal race. It was 4 intervals with 8 minutes rest in between, the intervals were of distances 2000m, 1000m, 800m, 3000m.

I have not gotten times yet as I was too lazy to bother coach about it. I'll get them later and post them up.

What I do know about how I felt is this:
2000m - Went out really fast and ran the first 1200 or so at great speed, was up with the rest of the lead pack from boro. Died on the last part, unable to sustain that speed.
1000m - Was still majorly unrecovered from the first rep, sot this one was definitely slow, and was an exercise in mashing through when tired and hanging on.
800m - Absolutely blazed through this one. Was up with the leaders after 400, some guys even freaked and took off when I passed them because I am normally nowhere near them. The last 400 I died as expected but still finished in a rather decent position for myself.
3000m - Was really really dead on this one. No leg strength left, and was aerobically taxed. I just ran as hard as I could with what little I had left.

I was satisfied with today's effort, even though I really only ran my best on two reps. Its ok because I took almost a week off from my hamstring, and I did not feel a bit of that today.

Thats it for my competitive cross country season, barring the injuries of at least 2 more of my teammates. Since I took that week off pretty much for the hamstring, I am going straight into my track base phase.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting race concept. Four hard intervals covering 6.8K. I will have to give that a serious thought as a hard workout, someday. An interesting point is how to pace one's self through those distances.
Good job! Thumbs Up
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of anything like it...

Dan
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a rather common concept here at Edinboro, as we have two races that are like this. The home race, The Edinboro Rag Relays, is 4x1500m, and is unlike the Tour De Scots, set up in a mini-team format, where you have three runners to a team.

We use them mainly as just workouts, leading up to the postseason races (if you are in them).
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: New Results Reply with quote

Its been a long time since I have been frequenting these boards, so sorry if anyone has been wondering where I have been.

Here are the latest results:

Fredonia St Indoors: 10:36 3000m
Mt. Union Indoors: 10:16 3000m
Baldwin Wallace Ind.: 4:24 1500m
2:08 800m
Kent State Tune Up: 4:58 Mile (horrible)

Well things as you can see have been improving pretty rapidly still, but I was really disappointed in my time at Kent State, as I was expecting to run at the worst 4:40, and at best 4:30. But I was really really nervous and I think I might have psyched myself out because of the big-time feel of the meet (its a Division I school).

My training has been not too bad, although over the winter break it was really inconsistent and that has really upset me. I am going to start a big mileage buildup that is going to last through track season, so I don't expect much in the way of improvements this spring, but come the fall or even next spring, I have confidence I am going to see some Big Improvements.

I am going to focus on next year as my goal, because I looked at my fitness this year and what I am accomplishing, and I decided that if I try to peak this year, I might just barely make states (4:06 1500m qualifying time), whereas if I just scrap this year competitively and set my goals on next year, barring injury, I will have a great year to look forward to.

I hope everyone else is doing well, I probably don't have time to peruse and see what is going on.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice improvement in those middle meets. Thumbs Up

Have fun pounding the pavement this spring!

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad, Jason, not bad at all. Thumbs Up

Will you be running outdoor track or skipping it? If you are running, what events?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: