Hey all personal results thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Jason. And good luck.

Thanks for checking in. I had gone into your Blog a while back, but never got around to asking how much mileage you were able to get up to during the Summer.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't update the blogs anymore, but just so you know:

Beginning of the summer I got some sort of foot injury which I never really found out what it was. I have a suspicion that it was a stress fracture, but in any case out of fear I took almost two months completely off. In the end of July I started back up at around 30 miles per week, sustained that until XC camp. At that point mileage went up to 60, and I have averaged 50 since then.

Yesterday was the big race, and it was bittersweet. I didn't get my exact time, so I will have to post that later, but I know I was in the 31:50 range from what a teammate said. It was very hard running on the course, it just did not feel natural as I haven't been to an XC race in 4 years now. Got myself a nice big new blister on the bottom of my foot, and am considering hanging the spikes up and using racing flats in the future just for comfort's sake if weather permits.

My time was a minute off my 5 mile time from 4 weeks ago, but I still feel as if I ran way below my ability, based on how I have been feeling in practice workouts. In any case, I don't have another race for 6 weeks, and that gives me lots of time to get my ducks in a row.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've gotta be happy any time you improve that much. Tells you you're headed the right direction, yet it still leaves room for improvement. Wink

What are the courses like there? We have very few courses in this area that are good for spikes the whole way. Too much pavement and gravel.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, I'm really surprised you don't have another meet until mid October. Dan, is that par for the course, or is that unusual at the college level.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty unusual from my experience...

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys you have to remember what team I am on. Edinboro XC is not exactly a team that you can walk onto and expect them have enough money to take all of you to North Carolina and Chicago. Those are two meets that I will not be going to for the reason that I am not a starter. Edinboro is a pretty good team and its only a DII state sponsored school so theres not a whole lot of money to go around. I like this better for my first year anyway because it gives me a chance to do some quality training instead of constantly tapering for races.

I think it was a bad idea wearing spikes for that race now that I think of it, because the grass was hard anyway, and a lot of the race there were crossings of pavement roads and a mile or so on a woodchip trail (which was actually painful, and involved picking up pieces of wood with my spikes, yikes). I only wore them because I have not done this for so long that I just figured I would do what everyone else was doing.

You are probably right that I should be happy about my improvement, but still if theres anyone that I am never satisfied with, its myself.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the previous "guest" posting was me if you didn't realize it already.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes more sense. A lot of teams that cannot travel all their runners will try to find local road races on those weekends to keep as many people racing as possible. Might be something worth keeping an eye on.

Dan
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its something that me and a few of the other non-travelers have been keeping an eye on. Its not something the coach will most likely do for us, and I don't want him to. I am looking forward to a very light racing schedule myself, possibly only racing one or two road races in addition to the three races I will get to go to.

It should give me a better shot at getting good training in without having to race-prepare all the time.

The program here is very individual. Its up to you to train most of the time on your own. Its up to you to make something of yourself, no one makes you. My kind of place Smile
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys heres an update on how my running is going...

This past weekend I was supposed to run a 5k with a few others while the starters travelled to Chicago, but the race was cancelled because of "poor course conditions and bad weather predictions" Mad Mad <--thats all I have to say about that poo-poo excuse considering it was XC anyway, and it was beatiful the day the race was supposed to go.

The thursday before we ran a two mile workout, and I ran 10:31, so that was impressive (splits 5:00, 5:31).

Two days ago we ran a 13 mile workout which has several leg-breaking uphills and downhills, its a "toughness" sort of thing, and I came in at 1:26:29, which is also very encouraging for me.

Using those two recent results, I predict my 8k fitness to be somewhere in the range of 28:30 which is Surprised mind boggling for me considering the fitness I came into this program with.

Next week: Edinboro Rag Relays, which as I understand it is pretty much a mile repeats workout against other teams.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent workouts! Looks like you're really rounding into shape. Thumbs Up

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive!! The long run was a half marathon under 1:30:00 which is quite good. Sounds like your training has really picked up since the beginning of the Summer.

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my training really has picked up quite a bit.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I have really been having a tough time this past week, because I would be a liar if I said that the 13 miler didnt take me and beat me into a pulp. Five days later and I still can't get any speed out of my legs, feel sluggish and tired still. Ah I guess its all part of the game Neutral
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arg... i really have to stop doing that guest thing.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so we both know how the other feels... Wink

Those big jumps in mileage can really leave you dragging the following week. Hard to fully comprehend the effect it has on your body until experiencing it directly.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: