Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
wc update

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway wrote:
We need to be looking at some of these 11.3x and 22.7x sprinters ... Try to get a few to move up ... Only takes two or three to turn the whole ting around ...

Like what has been said it would be great for Marion to move up on her comback trail next year(although many of you will agree that her comeback trail begins in Brussells in a couple of weeks from now)
She has 300m and 400m PRs of 35.68s and 49.59s respectively.
And both of those on her 1st and 2nd attempts at those respective distances.

I know that I'm gonna get some stick for this, but I'd love to see Kelli White move up to 400m in the next few years.
She has a 300m PR of 36.61s set in 2001(when coming home behind Marion at the MSR,Walnut in 2001 when Marion had the organisers set up a Women's 300m race so she could attempt to break the Women's World Best. Which was at the time 35.46s held by both Kathy Cook(GBR) and Chandra Cheeseborough(USA) but now is 35.30s run by a certain Ana Guevera(MEX) in Mexico City GP earlier on this year)

I'd like to note that in 2001 her PRs for both the 100m and the 200m were 10.99s(+0.6m/s in Athens,Greece or Athina on the 11th June 2001) and 22.38s(+0.5m/s Brussels or Bruxelles on 24th August 2001)
Her PRs are now considerably lower at 10.85s and 22.05s, both fresh from this week's World Championships. So her speed endurance has obivously been worked on otherwise she wouldn't of lowered her 200m PR. Her 200m race last night could of also of been even faster as she eased up in the final 10-15m of the race and just coasted through the line. Later on in post-race interviews she mentioned that she went into the race competely drained.(Probably due to her previous exploits on Sunday in the Women's 100m final)

So Kelli for the 400m???...
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ... Not yet ... She is still improvingin the short sprints ... Marion on the other hand has stagnated ... I would like ot see Marion in the 200 and 400 and Kelli in the 100 and 200 ... Then we would be well represented across the board !!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marion is easily a sub-49 runner if she wants to be. Her 400m races have been season openers at Mt. SAC, which is even earlier than Guevara's eye opener at Pre this year, and look where she ended up by WC's...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Marion is much better suited to the 400, stature wise, than Kelli. Kelli's physique may be too thick for the event.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Marion's got more of the gazelle build, like Perec. Kelli seems more powerful, but like I said above, Mutola and Graf don't lack for muscles, and they do just fine over 2 laps.

Dan
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a eurosport interview last week Marion was asked if she ever intends to move up to the 400m. She said that she enjoyed the longer relay but as far as running the single event that is definetely out of the question.

Of course athletes do change their mind.

Going onto another topic, Boldon decided not to take part in the relay for Trinidad. I do not know the circumstances behind his reason, but it cost trinidad a possible place in the final. That was a big let down, where has that national spirit of old gone where athletes would not let the team down no matter what.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely a guess here, but could Ato's absence have had anything to do with Drummond? They were in the same heat, Ato was supposedly most upset, and they are long time HSI mates.

Or maybe ego got in the way and he didn't want to be second fiddle to Darrel Brown on the relay?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on that one .....My guess is they had no shot at a medal in his eyes so he went the protest route ... But that is just a guess on my part ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: