Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
wc update

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for my predictions. Sturrup once again choked and finished just 4th.
Kudos to white, a perfect race to win in 10.85 (at least i got the time right),and also edwards to sneek in a silver from lane 1 in a PR 10.93.
Would love to see white inthe 200m, surely a sub-22 performance from her.

The mens second round heat, a complete fiasco. It was the new false start rule. Very unfortunate for drummond, cant blame him for his refusal to leave the race. After walking off initially in tears he came back to the track stubbornly insistent on running the race. The heat had to be cancelled and was rerun after the 4th heat. The iaaf vice-president intervened and the final was run without drummond and powell.

It eventually took a record breaking 51 mins to get the race underway, as the crowd kept booing everytime the runners settled into the blocks. Boldon (lane8) seemed the most agitated and refused to run until the crowed calmed down after a good 15 mins after an appeal by officials and the runners themselves.

Although drummonds actions did not help the athletes, it was understandable as he may not have many more chances left at 35.

Looking at the replay, drummond did not appear to have false-started, in fact powell seemed to have risen fractionally before everyone. However the computer showed both runners to have reacted under 0.100 sec with drummond with the faster reaction time. After a close-up on the blocks it was clear that drummond had applied pressure on the front block before the gun thus triggering off the sensor. Still not a false start in my book.

Bring back the old rule i say!!!!.

Powell was looking red-hot in the first round, but we will never know.
Ht 4 was was good enough to be a final with alieu, greene, chambers, collins and obadele thompson. The forgotten man thompson who looked good in winning the first round was the unlucky victim of this tough heat finishing fifth.

As for brown, what a run, just 18 and someone to watch for the future and dont count him out yet, he may just pull a surprise in the final.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a rough way to go out for Drummond and Powell. Man do I hate the false start rules. :t-: I don't care if the person exerts pressure on the blocks, if they aren't moving before the gun, then they aren't affecting anyone else in the race. Just another way for the sport to shoot itself in the foot...

Boldon must have been having flashbacks to Atlanta...

But hot damn, how 'bout that women's 100???

Results:

1 White
2 Edwards
3 Block
4 Sturrup
5 Thanou
6 Arron
7 Bailey
8 Devers

My predictions:

1 White
2 Sturrup
3 Arron
4 P-Block
5 Edwards
6 Thanou
7 Feguson
8 Gaines

Since Devers was basically the replacement for Gaines (in my haste and confusion, forgot to double check which of them qualified), I arguably got 7 of the finalists right, got 2 of them in the right order, and missed 2 others by only one spot. I probably won't be beating that any time soon...

Dan

p.s. Justin, hope you're having a blast in Paris!
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really expected sturrup to perform well, silver at least. Unfortunately she seems to be those talented runners who do well on the circuit but cave in when in counts. Maybe having white next to her lane getting a good start and pulling away just shattered her confidence. Nevertheless white looked great in the quarters and semis.

My predictions were completely off, although i did not predict all eight finalists, i had hung the medal on sturrups neck with complete confidence. Seems she is not a big meet competitor.

As for the 100m, still wide open but with two more runners in the fray, Brown and montgomery who looks like his back in shape.

Great prospects for the 100m next year with runners like capel, brown, powell, grimes and the usual crowd hopefully bringing back the high standards and fast times back into this event.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've kind of felt Sturrup has been running over her head this year, but I figured she was strong enough on average to not get beat for 2nd. The big surprise in there for me was Arron not faring better on home turf. Too much pressure, maybe?

Interesting scenario here ... If Marion returns next year in good form, will the US get 2 byes for Marion and Kelli both being defending world champs, or would Marion's absence this year be regarded as a non-win in that respect? At any rate, the US Champs next year should be brutal with Jones, White, Edwards, Gaines, Devers, Williams, Miller, and whoever manages to step up for that 8th spot.

What the heck happened to Tayna Lawrence this year??? She showed so much promise last year...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out after the 1st round of the men's 100 and just got back ... Boy did I miss a bunch !!!

Looks my bad feeling was right ... Another false start fiasco a la 96 ... I ssaid from the start that I didn't like the rule and now I hate it ... Here we are in a major competition with this kind of crap taking place ... And as for my feeling I am going ot say that Brown is going ot end up being a medallist ... And possibly winning based on what the numbers are saying from the 2nd round ...

Mo and Tim defiinitely seem to be at their limits based on the numbers ... But both look to make the final ... Still no clear cut favorite ... the semis ought to be interesting ...

As for the women's final ... Big ups to Edwards ... I had her as a finalist but never a medallist ... White I figured all the way ... Sturrup is one of those that does not seem to have it in the heart and head to win big ones ... She and Tim are of the same type in that way to me ...

And no one isi talking about the 400 semis ... Lots of 44s ... And where did Harrison come from all of a sudden ... Coudn't break 46 two weeks ago !!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What numbers are you referring to, the times or the Vegas odds? Wink

After years of watching MJ make mid-44 be an early season warmup, I just can't seem to get excited by 44.6's in championship competition... Call me jaded.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about reaction times and finish times ... Although reaction times really mean little ...

I'm excited about 44s cause no one has been runnin em regular this year except for Tyree ... We could end up wiht a fairly fast final based on those times ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, reaction times [smacks forehead]. I knew it had to be more than just finish times. Smile

I guess it's true that 44's are a big step up for a lot of people, but it still just seems like what everyone was running in MJ's wake... Still, it's better than what we've seen the past 2-3 years.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well MJ only ran them in finals ... So it isn't like watchign 43s every day was a common occurance ... Mid to low 44s were good even for him during his run ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose, but it's not the way I remember him, darn it. Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ... I know all about the history of MJ ...
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: 8+9 runners in the 100 m semifinal Reply with quote

___I just looked at the semifal heats' list on the iaaf wc web page and I noticed that there are 9 runners in the second heat. Does anyone know why?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat 1 - Monday, August 25, 2003 - 19:35

Lane Bib Athlete Country 2003 Personal
1 203 Macrozonaris Nicolas CAN 10.03 10.03
2 588 Nkansah Eric GHA 10.14 10.00
3 1226 Collins Kim SKN 9.99 9.98
4 1418 Montgomery Tim USA 10.04 9.78
5 1006 Emedolu Uchenna NGR 10.12 10.06
6 1443 Williams Bernard USA 10.05 9.94
7 757 Asahara Nobuharu JPN 10.23 10.02
8 520 Lewis-Francis Mark GBR 10.07 10.04

Heat 2 - Monday, August 25, 2003 - 19:40

Lane Bib Athlete Country 2003 Personal
1 731 Thomas Dwight JAM 10.22 10.12
2 472 Pognon Ronald FRA 10.13 10.13
3 1330 Boldon Ato TRI 10.09 9.86
4 514 Chambers Dwain GBR 10.03 9.87
5 1331 Brown Darrel TRI 10.01 10.01
6 513 Campbell Darren GBR 10.09 10.04
7 1397 Greene Maurice USA 9.94 9.79
8 1005 Aliu Deji NGR 9.98 9.98
9 1156 Vries Sherwin RSA 10.08 10.08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess someone was DQ'd and added back in later due to appeal, but I'm not sure who.

Dan
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could not split two of the three fastest rulers even to the third decimal race so have decided to allocate lane 9 for the third runner.

Going back to the 400m, you echo my sentiments exactly. I cannnot get worked up about the 400m either thanks to MJ.

One expects the contenders to run sub44, forgetting that MJ was special.
Even before MJ, three americans ran sub44 in 1988 and then everett running 43.81 at the 92 trials followed by watts olympic win in 43.50, not to mention a semi!!! in 43.71. The only problem was watts was a one hit wonder.

So a 44.60 semi just does not get that adrenalin rush going. But looking further than the times, should be a competitive race,better than 2001. All the american runners loking good, throw in raquil on home ground and blackwood, should make for a good final.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: