Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Running as cross-training for cyclist?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 1999 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been an avid cyclist for many years, averaging 5500kms per year. I am seriously looking into running as a cross training sport during the off-season. I know this will maintain and even improve my cardio. Also, I have heard since running is a weight bearing exercise (unlike cycling), it will promote bone density. any words of advice for a poetential runner?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'mark']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 1999 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

First of all, thanks for stopping by. It's been rather quiet around here the past week.

Strange, I can't think of anyone that's gone from cycling to running, but I know of lots that have gone the other direction (usually upon developing knee problems, although for me, running is easier on my knees than cycling). Anyway, in theory running should help build stronger bones through the response to repetitive stresses. Whether or not it actually happens depends a lot on biomechanics, I imagine.

My advice to anyone starting into running or just increasing mileage is to seek soft surfaces. While hard surfaces don't necessarily cause injuries, they can easily aggravate something that is due to the new workload. Remember that it takes much less time running to get an aerobic workout than it does cycling. 40 minutes running is pretty equivalent to two hours of cycling, so don't get carried away with the time. Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 1999 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Mr.Kaplan. I must say that this site has been very informative for a newbie such as myself. I've spent so much time on the bike, that I need a break from it. I don't want to lose any physical gains and since there are some time restraints with school now, running makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to answer my queries.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 1999 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very welcome. Glad to be of help. You certainly won't lose any conditioning with running, just muscle memory if you stay away from cycling for too long.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 1999 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mr.Kaplan, I was wondering, what should I be taking into consideration as I prepare to indulge myself into running? I mean, what should I look for when it comes to shoes? stretching? nutrition? I'm not sure if my cycling background will be of use? Thanks...Mark

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 1999 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions. Have you done any running before? If so, do you know if you have any biomechanical problems that might affect what type of shoes you need? If you don't have a clue, you should go to a good running store and have them look at you running in different shoes. If they know their stuff, they'll outfit you correctly.

Stretching is a little more inportant with running than with cycling (in my opinion) because of the impact and fuller range of motion. Get in a good warmup jog -- enough to start sweating -- then stretch out once you have proper blood flow to the muscles. Stretching after the workout is good, also.

Nutrition should be pretty similar to cycling, although running is a little more demanding on the digestive system. At least, that's my experience.

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 1999 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mr.Kaplan! I did it! My first run! Well to be honest it was more of a jog, don't want to push too hard. I want my body to get used to it. I bought a good pair of running shoes and a lot of my winter-cycling clothing has come in handy. I live in Montreal, Quebec,Canada...so it gets pretty cold up here pretty fast. But my first run felt good. It was more of an aerobic workout than cycling. I think running and I are going to get along just fine! Thanx for all your help. Mark

[Anonymously Posted by: 'markss']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 1999 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Good idea to start slow. I always use my winter running clothes for cycling, so they're definitely interchangeable.

I was in Toronto in July, and it's hard to imagine that area being cold! It's actually much warmer here (in Oregon) than it was during that period.

Anyway, glad to see you're off to a good start.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 1999 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan! With the weird weather we have been having in Montreal, I haven't been running as regularly as I would like to. Still managing about two-three runs a week though. My question concerns nutrition. As a runner, what should I be looking out for? Thanx, Mark.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 1999 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

My approach to nutrition is basically common sense -- if it's good for you and doesn't bother your digestive system, eat it! I think counting calories and fretting over balanced meals merely makes people focus on dieting and not on the purpose of food, which is nourishment. Exercise intense and regularly, and your metabolism will take care of any excess.

Three times a week is a decent maintenance level, so that's not too bad for a "down" period.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 1999 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan, where should my running frequency be at in order to improve cardio and maintain the body? I want to be in top shape for the start of the cycling/running season. Mark

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 1999 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By frequency, do you mean number of runs per week? Maintenace requires three runs a week, improvement more along the lines of five days a week. Since you also bike, I would think 4-5 runs plus cycling the other days would be quite sufficient.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: