Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Feeling My best on race day

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well heres my story I am a 16 year old cross country and track runner. This year we have a really good cross team and 3200 relay(but thats not till spring) anyway this year in cross country I ran my first meet in 16:49. Then the second meet 17:09. I was feeling great my legs would not even get tired until the last mile then I started to notice that no matter how hard I worked the day before practice i would wake up and my legs would not hurt at all and they were only a little bit tired. I thought i was not getting enough work out and that i would not improve so one friday we had a hard speed day in practice the following morning i woke and felt great again so i went down to the track and ran 15 40s all out and 5 quarters and after that i was feeling tired so I went home then the next day i woke up and just about could not walk this was sunday and we had a meet tuesday I was scared to tell my coach so I did not tell him and tuesday I sill hurt and I ran a 18:33 i am embarassed to say it but I was so ashamed of my-self I was just about in tears and since then this was about a week ago but since then i have had two more meets and both meets i felt drained and spent before the mile even I dont know if it is metal or what My last meet i felt healed bnut still ran bad so i dont know what is up I guess i am asking what can I do to feel like gold on meet days thanks for reading this long post
-Jon

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Jon']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

Man, your message started out so positive, then... Sorry to hear it's affected you that way. I can't figure out why you felt so good despite the workload before, although I have had a week or two here and there that have been somewhat like that. Unfortunately, they're usually followed by injury. Smile

One thing you could try is to dose up on potassium and magnesium. Often, over-training is accompanied by leg cramping and fatigue, which could definitely affect your times. The potassium is what helps counter that, and the extra magnesium is needed to help absorb it.

Other than that, I would recommend just telling coach what you did (any good coach will understand that you were trying honestly to improve and will help you to right the ship) and taking it very easy for a week or so. When the motivation and enjoyment dwindles, a long run without a watch can work miracles.

Best of luck,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry my intention was not to be negative I am just really fusturated with my-self. I was just wondering if anyone else ever had a problem like this I have a meet this sat. The meet is our 3rd biggest of the season so I am hoping to pull threw and break this curse sat. we will see how it goes

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Jon']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that aerobic fitness can be maintained through 2-3 weeks of idleness. And since it sounds like you were in excellent shape before this difficult spell, you probably won't risk losing much if it turns out you do need the rest. See how the meet goes Saturday, and evaluate things from there.

Dan

p.s. I know all about trying to control frustration of that sort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: