Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Any feedback on good training applications?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamWort

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Any feedback on good training applications? Reply with quote

Hi there -
I was wondering if anyone has tested the beta version of Run-4-ever yet. (http://www.run4ever.com)
I just downloaded it and I'm kind of confused with the controls.

Has anyone tried different training apps and if so which ones?

thanks a mill,
Adam
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an email 17 minutes ago informing me of run4ever.com... Confused Haven't taken a look at it yet, so I can't help you there and I have no idea what a "training application" is.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation A training application is a program (software) that is used to log/monitor and track your progress while working out. (PC Coach, rundon'twalk, crosstraininer) these are all examples of programs used to log athletic activity. Hope this helped somewhat.
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this strange feeling that they already know it Confused

Razz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeurr I'm lost. Why don't you clarify all this and make things more transparent for my simple mind.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at it, downloaded it, but ultimately uninstalled it. Read the training info here. Go to Greg McMillan's website. He has some great tools and calculator. Somehow I get the feeling you can get more out of your log entries if you have to do much of the stuff manually. Read Micah's take on online logs. There was a thread started last year on that.

Paul
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not of the computer age and somewhat old fashioned. I started keeping handwritten logs in 1980 and have maintained it ever since. It is just what I feel more comfortable with. However, for someone who has grown up with computers you may feel more comfortable there.

What I like about the handwritten logs is that it doesn't have to be limited to just running data. I also write down significant happenings in my life along with the running data so that the logs become kind of a mini-diary. The important thing is to find what is comfortable for you and what you are most likely to consistantly use.
AdamWort

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: yeah... Reply with quote

noone is telling you to use the program or change your way of life (logging your runs differently)

This is simply a request to see if any of you, who aren't scared of computers and don't mind trying something new, have had any good experiences logging your runs on spreadsheets, other software packages etc.
It's quite a simple thread actually.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put yourself in the position of the people answering the question and ask yourself if you've given them any reason to do so...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, As a newcomer to this forum I would point out to you that this place has always been characterized by civil discourse and sharing of opinions. The regulars often disagree but we do it without sarcasm or putdowns. Paul brought up my opinion of running logs and I offered it...and made very plain that my way isn't right for everyone and what is important is to find your own way of doing things. If that offended you then maybe you aren't Run-Down material.

Micah
AdamWort

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do apologize for my snippy remarks. Micah, I was simply trying to point out that if you don't like the idea, noone is forcing you to change your habits, that's all.
Personally, I love making notes and keeping track of what's going on in my life as well as my daily mileage and the running stats.
I've been looking for an adequate solution where I can quickly enter this data (I type faster than I write) and can transfer it easily. Since I'm surrounded by computers most of the day that makes a running software application the best alternative.

At any rate, I am a newbie here but look forward to staying in the community (if you'll have me Embarassed )

I will also put more effort into using different terms to express what I'm trying to say. There is no need for offensive sarcasm and putdowns. Once again please accept my apology.

That being said, could i request you honest opinion on computers and running? I mean, you are all on this website because it's fast, easy and has great content - am I right? And you enjoy the feature of being able to discuss running issues, share experiences and opinions with people you normally would not meet easily.
Computers made this possible. Computers can also analyze your performance/progress if you're trying to prepare for a race. Charts and reports for example can make things alot more transparent.
Do you agree?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing the air. Smile

I view computers in relation to running as a way of communicating and sharing information. I don't see any real benefit with regards to logging runs, but that's just me. Beyond weekly mileage levels and highlighting important workouts, I'm not a big believer in the usefulness of running logs in the first place... Graphs and stats seem like something to focus on other than the actual running, which sort of defeats the purpose.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my computer 3 years ago I found this website and many others that had to do with running. Since I have been running for 26 years I was like a kid in a candy store. Very Happy

I couldn't imagine anything better than to be able to access all this information and to be able to e-mail friends and family. But I also consider myself very computer illiterate. I am taking a course this summer though that should help with that.

I was never intending to talk you out of using computer tools to log your runs. I am in awe of all the people who know more about computers and feel so comfortable with them. Since I don't use a computer log I had no intention of chiming in on a subject I know nothing about or to try to talk anyone into changing anything they are currently doing. But then Paul brought my name up so I jumped in.

It's your fault Paul. Mad

No Samuel Smith for 3 days. Twisted Evil
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another thing Adam......... Wink

You are certainly welcome here. It is always interesting to get fresh ideas and opinions. So what kind of training are you doing? Do you race? Have you got a team in the Fantasy League?

By way of introduction I am old, fat and slow. I race 5K's and dream of doing ultramarathons. My PR's are 20 years behind me but I do pick up age group medals from time to time.

Welcome to the asylum.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh..and one last thing.

I do think that logs are useful for analyzing your running. By looking at your past training I think you can learn a lot about what type of training led to your best running and what type training contributed to injuries as well. Those two factors make the logs very worthwhile....in my humble opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: