Distance Den
Even pacing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, and I do plan to keep running through college. Actually I plan to continue running throughout my life, but we'll see Smile

My 1500 today was a little disappointing. I just didn't feel like I had a lot of speed. Maybe I was tired from the day before, or maybe it was a bad day. Anyways, I ran 4:23 and got 5th place. The race took away some of my momentum as it was the first time this season I've failed to set a pb. Oh well, life goes on.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on putting out a solid 2-day effort and keeping a level head about the let down at the end. Things like that happen. The important thing is how you bounce back.

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for another update! I didn't post anything for a while because I wanted to wait until I had some good news :)

At the BC champs my 3000 time was 9:24 (one second off my pb) which is okay considering it was 34 degrees celsius (93 fahrenheit - extremely hot by my standards) but I expected to do better. You have to step up in the big races and I didn't do that. I was seeded 7th but finished 11th.

After another unseccussful attempt at getting a personal best, I ran the 1500 today at the Junior (18 and 19) provincials to get a good competative race in before Juvenile's (16 and 17). The race started out fast. I went through 400m in 64 and I was at the very back of the pack. I knew the pace was too fast, but I didn't want to fall behind. Because of the fast first lap, I didn't pick up the intensity like I usually do and the pace slowed down a lot. I can't remember exactly what my split was at 800m, but I know it was behind the pace for my pb (4:18). At that point I thought that all was lost and there was no way I'd beat my time, but on the third lap I gave it everything I had and moved out of last place. I managed to do that lap in 67 and I continued passing people on the last 300m. My finished time was 4:17 and I was 12th out of 18. (didn't really care about my placement, just wanted a good time). It wasn't a huge breakthough, but given the way the race was run, I was quite happy. It was the first time all season that I 've been able to change gears like that in the middle of the race, run a strong third lap and still have a finishing kick.

Hopefully it's a sign that I can go a lot faster if I run even splits.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, and congrats on a PR and another narrow miss. The thing I'm gathering from your updates is that you're developing a keen sense of how to race and to push yourself a bit further each time out. Very important qualities. Thumbs Up

What's next?

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going over to Kelowna (in the interior of BC) for a meet next weekend. I've never been to it before, but people from all over western Canada and usually some from Washington State and Australia come as well. I usually get my best times when I race with a group that has a bunch of people around my ability, and some better to push the race. It's also a three day meet, so I get an entire day between the 3000 and 1500 Smile

That will be my last meet before the BC Juvenile champs, which is the race that I've been aiming my training at all year.

BC has some really fast 1500 and 800 runners this year, but there seems to be a bit of a gap in the 3000. That means that if the top two guys in the province go to World Youth I have a slight chance at making the BC team which goes to nationals. I would still have to run at least 9:10 (a pretty big jump from 9:23) to get the BC standard, but I think it's possible.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with Dan, though I'm no expert in these matters. Your racing really appears to be top quality, and your ability to adjust in the middle of a race speaks volumes. Very mature!! Good luck!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Paul
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme, Looks like you are doing great. Good luck in the upcoming races.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to do the 800m this weekend as well as the 1500 and 3000 since they were spread out over three days. My times were 2:05, 4:17 and 9:19.

There was a pack of 20 in the 3000 and everyone went out fast. I kept telling myself that if I just ran at my own pace I would catch them, so I stayed at the back and for once it actually worked! Smile I wound up 4th in a 4 second personal best. I then raced the 800 for my second time ever and did it one second faster than before. In an attempt to get 3 PRs in 3 days I found myself in a grueling 1500. The tempuratue was in the high 30s and I ran hard, but the best I could do was equal my fastest time.... so close! Smile

Only one meet left to push those times as low as I can.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! That's a definite confidence building weekend. Thumbs Up

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Graeme!!!!! Very Happy

That looks like it could be a real break through meet for you. I like what you did in the 3000. Sometimes patience can work wonders.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great weekend of running. To be able to maintain your mental intensity over three races like that is terrific. Many people strive for that, and never achieve it.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran a 9:20 today at provincials and finished 4th. The race went out slow, which I hate, but I managed to pick it up and almost get a personal best. It really wasn't that tough and I felt like I should have gone harder, or would have been able to run very well had the race started out quicker. If it were earlier in the season I would be happier about that, but since it was probably my last race, I'm mad that I did put everything into it.

The 1500 that I did the day before started out even slower. I wanted to run the first lap in 67, but the leaders were trying to force it into a sit and kick race so it went out in 71. For some reason I just couldn't pick it up very much after that and finished in 4:24. I don't know if I physically couldn't accelerate, or if I just stopped caring when my chances of a PR went out the window, either way, it was a very dissapointing race. Normally I prefere races to go out much faster than I want (or on pace), since my weakness is increasing speed in the middle while my strength is just hanging in there when I'm dying.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my 3000 running this season. Last year I didn't even run it at provincials because I didn't want to get lapped and finish last, so I guess I've come a long way... but I still wanted to put myself in a better position to bo chosen to the BC team that goes to nationals. If you finish top four and are within 3% of the standard (I got both, but barely) you are elegible for selection. So basically, there is a possibility that they'll pick me, but I'm at the bottom of the barrel. Guess that's better than not being in a the barrel at all though Smile

I'm going to keep my track training going at least until the BC team is announced, just in case I make it. After that it's cross country! XC will help me out a lot for track next year since I'll probably be focusing a little more on the 5000 (I'm moving up an age group this year so I have to do the 5k).
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme, you have acquitted yourself very well this season. Its been a long one, and many experienced runners can't do what you've done. Congrats are in order, and I'm sure everyone on this Forum will agree.

Paul
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!

Great season Graeme.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, Graeme. Tough to improve every time out, and you've done remarkably well at that the past year and a half.

Did you by any chance race against the kid from BC who just placed 3rd in the 2k steeple at the Youth World Championships? He had quite the kick. Surprised

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: